Pokemon: The Anime

I def. don't watch the TV show as much as I used to but I still enjoy watching them. I was about 3 when I started watching the TV show which is also how I got started on pokemon (it was either that or Pokemon Red, I forget.). Anyways, I like the new ep.s just as much as the older ones. When I first heard their new voices I thought they were terrible. But then I thought, hey, they're not so bad after all. I almost like them better than the old voices now. Almost I said.

I've already got the movies, thanks for the offer, I do usually prefer subbed stuff over the dub but in Pokemon's case they are definitely hard to come by. I have all of the next season subbed, and I have the first 5-7 episodes of the Indigo Plateau subbed, but the rest takes a while to find, I'll get there eventually.

I've watched a few of the raw episodes with sub titles made by some fan group that, even if I remembered, am probably not allowed to link to.

While I respect that people have their own views, I don't see enough of a difference to spend an hour or so trying to find an episode subbed just so I can here some "curse" words or some light sexual innuendo.

I've already got the movies, thanks for the offer, I do usually prefer subbed stuff over the dub but in Pokemon's case they are definitely hard to come by. I have all of the next season subbed, and I have the first 5-7 episodes of the Indigo Plateau subbed, but the rest takes a while to find, I'll get there eventually.

PM link plz? The subbed versions of the movies are FABULOUS compared to the dubs, fyi.

@notthegoatseguy: WOW. Is that all you think the differences are? You've obviously never compared a dub to a sub episode. There's far more than "dirty" stuff for damn sure.

I'll put it simply: 100% of the time the ENTIRE PLOT is different, down to the lines, down to the context, down to the continuity. "Dirty" stuff I couldn't give a shit less about. Logicality and continuity I care greatly about. 100% less STUPID is nice too.

Usually when a dub rapes a series the put in worse jokes than an original. And let me tell you, 4kids is good a reip.

I'm not saying it's not different. Indeed, I haven't watched enough to really know. I've read that a lot of ship hinting lines (like that marriage line by Misty in the Hearbreak of Brock) was dub only, and I bet that isn't the only one. But to me, in the very few episodes I saw, the difference didn't warrant the effort I had to put forth in tracking down the episode.

That's not to say I'd reject the raw continutiy over dub. If someone says "This happened in raw", then that's what happened and I wouldn't make a claim to contradict it.

But could you give some examples of the plot actually changing? And has the differences between the dub and raw been better or wose (in your opinion) with The Pokemon Company handling it instead of 4kids.

the plot never really changes between the two languages. America just has a bit more plot holes, such as how he "magically" had 30 Tauroses one day.

I never liked 4kids' handling of Pokemon, and I guess neither did the CEOs.

Exactly. Bulbapedia's anime section notes it quite well, though past the first season it gets quite sparse.

It's mostly plot HOLES not plot changes. Other than that, most if not all of the jokes in the series are rewritten not for context but for the "Americanization" of the jokes, or so they say. It really just the 4kids scriptwriters amusing themselves by making a joke worse, or inserting a completely different off-context joke to amuse themselves.

"Punching-up" as it's called in the dub industry is the process of making the the dialogue "more interesting". It's highly unliked in the anime community because most (as well as myself) would prefer the original context. We think there's no reason to "punch it up" as there was nothing wrong with the original and the basis of doing said "punching up" was based on the translators sole opinion, not the actual script of the film. Or even the flap count, which is use to keep the words in sync with the mouth flaps of the animation, and a necessity in dubbing. I don't care about your opinion of the script I would like the ACTUAL script, thanks.

Appleseed EX Machina is a perfect example of this. The voices were well performed and made it worth watching, but they even admit to "punching it up" in the DVD extras. And god, the SUBTITLES where off. I have a HORRIBLE understanding of Japanese, and I got more out of actually translating the actual Japanese audio than the subtitles. Hell the replaced single words, ENGLISH words, with alternate words. To be honest I think they just used the English version's script for the subtitles instead of a translation. In the special features they admit to it. They even show a fansub clip of a scene they changed with the real translation. They TELL you the real translation. When you get to that scene in the actual film, their subs are different from said actual translation they admitted too and totally off.

;lasdfjlsdjflksjadfljlaksjd;

Certain production houses, like Sunrise, AVG, and Manga do WONDERFUL jobs, but some people are so full of themselves...

/subbie industry douchebaggary rant.