Jump to content

Radical Red PKHeX Help Needed


Recommended Posts

So I've just downloaded PKHeX as I want to use it while I try and beat Radical Red. However, whenever I try to open my save file in PKHeX I get the error message that says: "Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size. This could be caused by loading a different generation Pokemon file on an unsupported generation or your file is corrupt." I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I've tried saving multiple times and even edited the save file type (I'm using mGBA so it automatically saves as a .ss0 file). I changed the base game in the PKHeX settings to Pokemon FireRed as well. I am brand new to this so I'm likely making a simple mistake that I'm unaware of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, leytonnn said:

So I've just downloaded PKHeX as I want to use it while I try and beat Radical Red. However, whenever I try to open my save file in PKHeX I get the error message that says: "Attempted to load an unsupported file type/size. This could be caused by loading a different generation Pokemon file on an unsupported generation or your file is corrupt." I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I've tried saving multiple times and even edited the save file type (I'm using mGBA so it automatically saves as a .ss0 file). I changed the base game in the PKHeX settings to Pokemon FireRed as well. I am brand new to this so I'm likely making a simple mistake that I'm unaware of.

PKHeX does not support rom hack saves. Especially ones that deviate from how the save is structured from the original game. Unfortunately, I’m not able to recommend a save editor that will function with Radical Red.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Poke J said:

PKHeX does not support rom hack saves. Especially ones that deviate from how the save is structured from the original game. Unfortunately, I’m not able to recommend a save editor that will function with Radical Red.

Wait so are you saying that there are no save editors that work with Radical Red or that there are some but you just are not allowed to recommend one to me? Because I thought that PokemonChallenges used PKHeX for his Emerald Kaizo run.. was I mistaken?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, leytonnn said:

Wait so are you saying that there are no save editors that work with Radical Red or that there are some but you just are not allowed to recommend one to me? Because I thought that PokemonChallenges used PKHeX for his Emerald Kaizo run.. was I mistaken?

What I meant was there are no save editors that I know of that will work for Radical Red. PKHeX does not support ROM hack save, but ROM hacks that do not modify the structure of the original save to much similar to Kaizo Emerald can be recognized as the original game. However, in that case the legality check will not work and will probably flag everything as not legal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

I do not want to make a separate thread just for this, so I will ask it here:
Since PKHeX doesn't seem to work with ROM hacks, would Trigger's PC work, in this case? It's not a save editor, per say, but it works like Gen 3's Poke Bank, which could still be useful for trading pokemon in and out, you can technically just gen items/pokemon into a vanilla rom and then add it to PC, which you could then add to your desired ROM hack

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, terminator1984 said:

I do not want to make a separate thread just for this, so I will ask it here:
Since PKHeX doesn't seem to work with ROM hacks, would Trigger's PC work, in this case? It's not a save editor, per say, but it works like Gen 3's Poke Bank, which could still be useful for trading pokemon in and out, you can technically just gen items/pokemon into a vanilla rom and then add it to PC, which you could then add to your desired ROM hack

Try it and see.

Programs are made to target specific save file formats; if an editor is unaware of how a ROM hack has modified it from the base game, then it probably won't work at all. Especially if ROM hacks add in additional safeguards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kaphotics said:

Try it and see.

Programs are made to target specific save file formats; if an editor is unaware of how a ROM hack has modified it from the base game, then it probably won't work at all. Especially if ROM hacks add in additional safeguards.

I do have my TPC ready, so all I would need is a save file. I might try that later
I am curious to know if you could do traditional trading between ROMhacks, like you said there might be some which are hardcored to prevent any kind of trading, but  there are plenty more out there that bring minimal changes to the game aside from different pokemon encounters and what not, which wouldn't really touch that part of the code. I only have DS Lites, so someone with two GBAs, at least one flash cart(for the ROM Hack) and a set of transfer cables would have to see if it is possible to trade with the real hardware. I don't know if this in particular has been documented yet, it probably has been but I haven't checked, point is that if you can trade between a vanilla game and a ROM hack with real hardware, you can easily inject into the vanilla game via PkHex and trade any items both ways the traditional way, not as optimized as general savefile editing but it should do. I know there are proper GBA carts of some ROM hacks floating around on ebay, it might be cool to own one but I cannot guarantee it's authenticity, might be an alternative if you can't get your hands on a GBA flashcart anymore for some reason

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...