Save editing for MyBoy! emulator on Android- Running into problems

Shotgun

Hey guys, I managed to figure out everything else so far, but every time I try to edit a save onto one of my Gen 3 My Boy save files, I get the message that "the file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name." What can I do to work around this?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but I've tried renaming files etc. and nothing is making a difference. Your help would be tremendously appreciated.

IMG_20201005_185946.jpg

IMG_20201005_185802.jpg

On 10/5/2020 at 9:28 PM, Shady Guy Jose said:

I can think of two solutions:

1. Right-click the file, go to Properties, uncheck "Read-only". Then edit and save.
  2. Save the edited file in a different folder, then move it into the original folder, overwriting the unedited save.

On 10/6/2020 at 1:03 AM, theSLAYER said:

Including everything said above,
Consider copying the save to your desktop first, then open it there on PKHeX.
When editing done, copy it to said folder.

It's possible that your folder has write protection or something, wouldn't be the first time write protection messed it up..

Thank you. Both of these suggestions worked- I no longer get that error message.

However, now there's a new problem- after the saving the edited file and opening it on MyBoy, it functions exactly how it did before the overwrite. There are none of the new Pokemon I added, none of the edited Natures and IVs, etc...

When I re- open the edited file on PokeHex, it also appears exactly as it did pre-edit. 

I included a quick example video, where I attempted to throw a couple hacked Deoxys in my party, and the edit doesn't properly save (this is just one of many scenarios- even if I clone a legitimate Pokemon, it doesn't save). How can this problem be solved?

Edit: So I see it's trying to save the file to my computer. But even when I copy the file to the right location under MyBoy, it doesn't appear on my phone. Renaming it also doesn't seem to work.

Edited by Shotgun

You can't save it directly to your phone, since it's not recognized as a proper external drive (just look at the final dialog box in that video when you're saving: it says it saved to the AppData folter). Save it in your Desktop, then drag and drop it into the phone using Windows' File Explorer. Also, you should delete any savestate files that might get auto-loaded by MyBoy, or tinker with the settings until it's not loading savestates automatically (because any savestate you might have will be pre-edits).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

You can't save it directly to your phone, since it's not recognized as a proper external drive (just look at the final dialog box in that video when you're saving: it says it saved to the AppData folter). Save it in your Desktop, then drag and drop it into the phone using Windows' File Explorer. Also, you should delete any savestate files that might get auto-loaded by MyBoy, or tinker with the settings until it's not loading savestates automatically (because any savestate you might have will be pre-edits).

Thanks man. With this advice, I was finally able to get it working!

• Like 1