Sign in to follow this  
theSLAYER

Wild Area News: Common Questions and other info

What is "Wild Area News"?

In Gen 8, Promoted/Event Raids has been introduced as a way for players to try to encounter (and potentially catch) mons that were event exclusive, or have the stuff that are harder to find normally to have a more common encounter rate.

Examples of event exclusives:
Gigantamax Snorlax, Gigantamax Toxtricity, Gigantamax Milcery, Flavored Gigantamax Alcremie, Bulbasaur Line, Squirtle Line

Examples of 'harder to find normally"
Any of the featured Gigantamaxes (normally 5-10% rare den only, normally 5* only)

How does one update the "Wild Area News" in game?

Either grab a Mystery Gift in-game (serial or wireless)
or use the Mystery Gift -> Update Wild Area News option.

How are they stored in the save?

They are stored as 4 different blocks on the save.
PKHeX can dump them via the Block Data button.image.png

The 4 blocks are KBonusRewards, KDaiEncount, KDropRewards and KNormalEncount.

The files have been seen on the Event Gallery. How can users import them?

Download the .rar, extract the 4 files from inside the archive, and import the 4 files into the corresponding blocks.
There is a tutorial regarding blocks importing.

All 4 files must be imported from the same index to make the raids appear in-game?

What are Indexes?

Indexes are the way we implemented to differentiate the various changes to the Wild Area News files made by the server.
Indexes can be observed from the files.
image.png

So far, the first byte in the file denotes the index of the file, and whenever the server updates the Wild Area News,
and the server always increments the Index by one, even if the raids are the same.

While the index on the first byte is in Hexadecimal, we name the archive in Decimal.
(So 0x0E as 14, for example)

As an example, when a certain event is ongoing (A), and they interrupt (A) with a different event (B).
When (B) ends and they go back to (A), as opposed to using the original index (A) had, they (so far) +1 to (B).

At some times, there is no rhyme and reason to why the servers change indexes for the same event distribution.

Importing Wild Area News into >v1.2.0 saves without rigel1

As of v.1.2.0 of the game, they added a new file called normal_encount_rigel1,
which I've been told is required for wild area events to work.

For wild area events Index 24 and lesser, simply also import normal_encount into knormalencountrigel1.
This means normal_encount is imported into two block IDs, being knormalencount and knormalencountrigel1.

Info regarding comparing the encounter data of normal_encount to normal_encount_rigel1

@theSLAYER, I am repeating this question here because I feel like I will not be the only one to ask this or be confused.

There is a Basic & a Rigel version of all the newer Events in the Events Gallery. Which one is the correct one to use my game?

I have not seen the answer to this posted ANYWHERE. (Since I suspect there may be a 3rd or 4th once the 2nd Expansion comes out, I figured clarity would help people.)

Hey!

It hasn't been posted anywhere because simply, I have no idea which is used.

Presently, my assumption is that, both are used, and they serve a particular purpose, presumably:
a) if you are hosting a raid on Galar Mainland, it's normal_encount
b) if you are hosting a raid on Isle of Armor, it's normal_encount_rigel (rigel being the codename for IoA).

While the file themselves have subtle differences, using Index 21 as an example, the values between both (relating to which mon is hosted, or the rewards it yields) are actually the same, even raid rewards.
It's possible they have the raids separated between vanilla and DLC, as they intend to have an event in the future which will split.
(maybe only DLC gains access to super special raids, where vanilla will have previously ongoing event raids, all speculation of course)

Regardless, you need all 5 files in 1.2.0 onwards.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:03 PM, theSLAYER said:

...Regardless, you need all 5 files in 1.2.0 onwards.

Does this mean we can’t import older events into 1.2.0/1.2.1 if they don’t have the 5th file?

3 minutes ago, Curxxx said:

Does this mean we can’t import older events into 1.2.0/1.2.1 if they don’t have the 5th file?

unsure, never tested it.

Update for the most part, I finally got my head around how the bonus/drop rewards are stored.

drop_rewards

Spoiler

0xB8 in size, starts with a 0x10 and ends with a 0xFFFF.
If those are back to back, they'll be easy to find.
Within the 0xB8 block, the items are rather easy to find.
(1*)(2*)(3*)(4*)(5*)(item value 2 bytes)(unknown 2 bytes)(0xFFFF)
Can hold up to 10 items.

The value for 1* - 5* is out of a hundred, it stands for percentage chance.

Here it is in action:
image.png

Example of it being parsed:
image.png

The one thing I'm unsure about, is a way to derive the Table_IDs from the hex file itself (if at all possible)

bonus rewards

Spoiler

0x68 in size
Similar to drop_rewards, starts with a 0x10 and ends with a 0xFFFF.
If those are back to back, they'll be easy to find:
image.png

Within the 0xB8 block, the items are rather easy to find.
(1*)(2*)(3*)(4*)(5*)(item value 2 bytes)(unknown 2 bytes)(0xFFFF).
Can hold up to 5 items.

image.png
The value in the byte is basically amount given.

Parser in action
image.png

The one thing I'm unsure about, is a way to derive the Table_IDs from the hex file itself (if at all possible)

edit: If you saw what I wrote about "unsure about table_IDs", they were found in the file.
They're 3 bytes after the "0x10".

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

unsure, never tested it.

Alright, well for anyone else wondering - it doesn’t look like we can unless we find a way to trick the game. Not been able to get any older events to work on 1.2.0.

5 minutes ago, Curxxx said:

Alright, well for anyone else wondering - it doesn’t look like we can unless we find a way to trick the game. Not been able to get any older events to work on 1.2.0.

I believe if that is the case, you could just make a copy of the same version of normal_encount and name it normal_encount_rigel.

bro when i open mystery gift option it closes automaticly 

14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

bro when i open mystery gift option it closes automaticly 

As in in-game? This thread isn't for troubleshooting an error you have in-game. Please start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum :3