Fixing Gen 4 saved in void corrupted save

Ky00uN

Hi there.

When I once tried out the Arceus-Glitch, I accidentally saved in the wrong location within the void.

Now when I try to load my save-file, I can press "continue", then the Journal opens and works normally. When closing the Journal, I simply get a black screen. No sound, no nothing.

I recently got a N2DS and dumped the save-game from the original cartridge and looked at it with PKHeX. Couldn't open "Trainer Info", because an IndexOutOfBoundException. My guess is for the coordinate input-elements, because when I used Pokesav to open them, they showed as such: aA7usMi.png

Now I thought this was the issue. Changed coordinates to known, working ones: 411, 112, 1, 882.   (I just created a new save-file and saved at the beginning to find out these coordinates).

This unfortunately did not fix the problem, it still just black-screens.

More Info: Pokemon Perl (GER), Save-File is in the attachments.

Maybe someone here knows what could be up. All other flags seem quite normal in comparison to another save-file. 

Would be great to get to play my old Perl Savegame again. :)

PS: Yes, I also used a friend's ActionReplayDS back then, which is painfully obvious when observing the save-file :D 

EDIT: Apparently, some Youtuber called it an BSOD, here is a video showing my problem (at the very end, I at least still get the Journal): 

POKEMON P.0.sav

Edited by Ky00uN

20 minutes ago, Ky00uN said:

Hi there.

When I once tried out the Arceus-Glitch, I accidentally saved in the wrong location within the void.

Now when I try to load my save-file, I can press "continue", then the Journal opens and works normally. When closing the Journal, I simply get a black screen. No sound, no nothing.

I recently got a N2DS and dumped the save-game from the original cartridge and looked at it with PKHeX. Couldn't open "Trainer Info", because an IndexOutOfBoundException. My guess is for the coordinate input-elements, because when I used Pokesav to open them, they showed as such: aA7usMi.png

Now I thought this was the issue. Changed coordinates to known, working ones: 411, 112, 1, 882.   (I just created a new save-file and saved at the beginning to find out these coordinates).

This unfortunately did not fix the problem, it still just black-screens.

More Info: Pokemon Perl (GER), Save-File is in the attachments.

Maybe someone here knows what could be up. All other flags seem quite normal in comparison to another save-file. 

Would be great to get to play my old Perl Savegame again. :)

PS: Yes, I also used a friend's ActionReplayDS back then, which is painfully obvious when observing the save-file :D 

EDIT: Apparently, some Youtuber called it an BSOD, here is a video showing my problem (at the very end, I at least still get the Journal): 

POKEMON P.0.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads

do you have a save file from before you edited the coordinates, or this is it?

50 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

do you have a save file from before you edited the coordinates, or this is it?

Hi,

I should have created a backup before trying to edit anything, and IIRC this is the one I uploaded. With all these weird coordinates. For good measures, I'll upload the file straight from my N2DSXL SD Card again here, but it should be the same.

POKEMON P.0.sav

What also could be of use:

I just downloaded a hacked save(one that worked), tweaked and did 2 SAV files:

One in a "good" void (can load save-game), one in a "bad" void(cannot load save-game). So there shouldn't be much diff other than location and some other things that probably cause my problem. Currently looking at the diff.

Also uploading these files here~

badSave.sav goodSave.sav

8 minutes ago, Ky00uN said:

What also could be of use:

I just downloaded a hacked save(one that worked), tweaked and did 2 SAV files:

One in a "good" void (can load save-game), one in a "bad" void(cannot load save-game). So there shouldn't be much diff other than location and some other things that probably cause my problem. Currently looking at the diff.

Also uploading these files here~

badSave.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads goodSave.sav 512 kB · 0 downloads

The Goodsave made all the difference in the world.
There's a cheat that would fix your location, but the requirement was being able to save in game.

Spoiler

Press Select while saving in-game

94000130 FFFB0000
621C5A08 00000000
B21C5A08 00000000
DC000000 F7FDEA80
18000000 0000019B
D2000000 00000000
94000130 FFFB0000
621C5A08 00000000
B21C5A08 00000000
000020C8 0000036F
000020CC 00000070
000020D4 0000036F
000020D8 00708000
D2000000 00000000

I was gonna stitch a save together for you, but the GoodSave + that cheat code solved the problem.
goodSave2.sav

edit: And of course, the goodsave wasn't your save to begin with. Guess I shall continue my stitching process..

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

The Goodsave made all the difference in the world.
There's a cheat that would fix your location, but the requirement was being able to save in game.

Hide contents

Press Select while saving in-game

94000130 FFFB0000
621C5A08 00000000
B21C5A08 00000000
DC000000 F7FDEA80
18000000 0000019B
D2000000 00000000
94000130 FFFB0000
621C5A08 00000000
B21C5A08 00000000
000020C8 0000036F
000020CC 00000070
000020D4 0000036F
000020D8 00708000
D2000000 00000000

I was gonna stitch a save together for you, but the GoodSave + that cheat code solved the problem.
goodSave2.sav

edit: And of course, the goodsave wasn't your save to begin with. Guess I shall continue my stitching process..

I am sorry, maybe I should have worded myself better. :) 

In a direct diff, there is a large portion of badSave that was written with zeroes only, but the goodDiff has many values in there... hmm, investigating further.

Also, I actually also tried cheat codes (from within the journal, as this is the only thing accessable), but I couldn't find anything to work with.

3 minutes ago, Ky00uN said:

I am sorry, maybe I should have worded myself better. :) 

In a direct diff, there is a large portion of badSave that was written with zeroes only, but the goodDiff has many values in there... hmm, investigating further.

Also, I actually also tried cheat codes (from within the journal, as this is the only thing accessable), but I couldn't find anything to work with.

In any case, it wasn't just your coordinates that was off. Apparently your event flags were off as well (copying them into another file doomed that other file). However just replacing your coordinates and event flags weren't good enough; something else was causing the "BSOD"

It was a lot easier to simply take your trainer info and paste it into an working file.

In any case, this file has your trainer details, your Boxed mons, your party mons and your Hall of Fame details.
I didn't copy items and event flags. Whatever item you want, just use PKHeX to edit items to your liking :)
Gen 4 - DP Project 493 andi.sav

• Like 1

• theSLAYER changed the title to Need Help With Pokemon Pearl Corrupted Save-File (saved in void)
1 minute ago, theSLAYER said:

In any case, it wasn't just your coordinates that was off. Apparently your event flags were off as well (copying them into another file doomed that other file). However just replacing your coordinates and event flags weren't good enough; something else was causing the "BSOD"

It was a lot easier to simply take your trainer info and paste it into an working file.

In any case, this file has your trainer details, your Boxed mons, your party mons and your Hall of Fame details.
I didn't copy items and event flags. Whatever item you want, just use PKHeX to edit items to your liking :)
Gen 4 - DP Project 493 andi.sav

Cheers! I'll give it a couple more tries to actually fix this/find out what the problem is by comparing these two, but this is way better than having no safe-file at all. :) 

16 hours ago, Ky00uN said:

Cheers! I'll give it a couple more tries to actually fix this/find out what the problem is by comparing these two, but this is way better than having no safe-file at all. :) 

I found a way that involves modifying your own save, but it required copying a bit of data from a working save.

These are the modifications I've made. Offsets I indicate were copied from my save to your save:
0x2500 to 0x25A7 and 0x25B0 to 0x261F (Coordinates of goodsave + extra unidentified data)
Also copied these offsets to the second block ( + 0x40000)
Then, used PKHeX to fix the checksums of the save

When the game loads, open the menu, view Pokédex, and exit, and the map would load.

Your save: POKEMON P test.sav

• Like 1

• theSLAYER changed the title to Fixing Gen 4 saved in void corrupted save
1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

I found a way that involves modifying your own save, but it required copying a bit of data from a working save.

These are the modifications I've made. Offsets I indicate were copied from my save to your save:
0x2500 to 0x25A7 and 0x25B0 to 0x261F (Coordinates of goodsave + extra unidentified data)
Also copied these offsets to the second block ( + 0x40000)
Then, used PKHeX to fix the checksums of the save

When the game loads, open the menu, view Pokédex, and exit, and the map would load.

Your save: POKEMON P test.sav

Holy shit, that's amazing! Thanks a ton. 

I stayed up until 3:30am yesterday, but any hex-modification resulted in "save-file is corrupted"-message in game.. Had i known there was a way to attempt to fix it with PKHeX (assuming this message comes up when the checksum is not right).. That would have been nice :D 

Time to flash this save onto my real game cartridge :D 

On 6/9/2019 at 2:05 AM, Ky00uN said:

Holy shit, that's amazing! Thanks a ton. 

I stayed up until 3:30am yesterday, but any hex-modification resulted in "save-file is corrupted"-message in game.. Had i known there was a way to attempt to fix it with PKHeX (assuming this message comes up when the checksum is not right).. That would have been nice :D 

Time to flash this save onto my real game cartridge :D 

yeah, any hex editing would cause the game data to be mismatched from checksums, so the game would display that message.
Opening it in PKHeX, then proceeding to save in PKHeX, fixes checksums, as PKHeX would recalc the checksums when saving.

Glad I could help!

edit: theSLAYER writing this from a later date after this got resolved.
To any future readers whom experienced similar issues, there's a tool now: