MIDI music format of B1W1/B2W2 and Emerald (including leftover data), and what instruments map to what.

Hello to all. I have just figured out that the midi mappings that Pokemon Black and White in bwmidi.zip (which are direct rips of the game files), and PKMN_E.zip (again, direct rips of the midi files) use are almost completely compatible with the sound mappings for the default Roland MT32 and CM32L patches when mapped to 16 channels. A way to emulate this on GS modules is to force all channels to the last bank, and set the drumset to the last one in the default bank. This gives MT32 Sound, which maps better than GM, and is universal across all areas of the game's music. For a DS-sized MT32 bank, you can either google "2GMGSMT.sf2", "4GMGSMT.sf2", "5GMGSMT.sf2,", "8GMGSMT.sf2", or "16.5mb gm gs mt32 bank v2.51.sf2", and add "LuckyMax" to the query. The bank was made in '01. It is not very accurate to the real MT32 though. I will provide a 1 gig sampleset via google drive, but in case a homebrew music project is in need of even more sounds, I will provide a mod of Zandro Revielle's DB50XG sampleset which has the inaccurate MT32 samples, and the SC-88 samples from a similarly accurate SC88 soundfont in this post. The link to the 1GB uncompressed 24bit MT32/CM32L/BW/RSEFRLG/HGSS/DPPT soundset is here https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3iwOegRlzCXVkZ6WmFHNzNhcTg

Attached to this link is the soundfont containing the DB50XG Mod, the SC-88 Samples, and the MT32/CM32L samples: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3iwOegRlzCXWmRQbktoWDBmQTA 

The file above is 32.5MiB

Below, I have an even less accurate, but more faithful version of the MT32 samples, but with GM and GS drumsets, and GM instruments where possible. It is 8mb.

MT32.sf2

Edited by St. GIGA
Added extra filesize info
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I added you yesterday :P Mostly wondering if there's a list of mappings, seeing as GM's Distortion Guitar tends to be String Ensemble, etc. It would make a lot of things easier. Having looked through the MT-32 sound list, and listened to it through an emulator, it comes out as a Synth Bass, not a String Ensemble there either.

• 9 months later...