Someone keeps trying to log in to my account.

ABZB

I keep getting emails saying that IP address 188.143.234.14 has tried five times unsuccessfully to log in to my account.

Should I be concerned? Is it possible for an administrator to check if there is an account with a similar name to mine that was registered from that address? (maybe this is due to an typo or a misremembered username?)

There are no users who registered with that IP nor are there any posts posted with that IP.

According to whois information, the IP belongs to some French guy. (Probably not relevant.)

And looking at the member list, I didn't see any usernames that were obviously similar to yours.

Maybe another mod or admin will have further input. But at least they didn't actually get in to your account :).

Got the same message (forgot I even had an account here TBH, posted on PokeSav thread way back when):

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 188.143.232.144

Edit: Adding abuse contact info for the provider (All collected IP's are originating from the same provider so far): abuse@pinspb.ru

Information is easily pulled by a whois query on the ip addresses. Additionally, checking the website for the provider shows they only provide internet access in St. Petersburg, for what it's worth.

Edit 2: Might I recommend htaccess blocking?

Order Allow,Deny
Deny from 188.143.232.0/16
Deny from 188.143.234.0/16
Deny from 188.143.235.0/16
Allow from all

Edited by akoimeexx
Added abuse contact info, E2: htaccess lines suggested (E3, minor: Woops, Class B, not class C ips.)

So, this actually affected me as well. I have put a measure into place to hopefully prevent this.

The user was going through the member list in alphabetical order which is why only users whose names with numbers and 'A' have gotten hit actually.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Also, akoimeexx, check your CIDRs. 188.143.232.0/16, 188.143.234.0/16, and 188.143.235.0/16 all mean the same thing and are very redundant.