Operating system

Codr

Which Windows operating system are you using? (I'm not interested if you're using non-Windows. Don  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Windows operating system are you using? (I'm not interested if you're using non-Windows. Don

(I see this forum's poll system is even better than I thought... [Hint: extreme sarcasm]. The text is supposed to say "I'm not interested if you're using non-Windows. Don't bother posting to say so.".)

It's possible that XP support will be dropped in the future, so I need to find out how big of an impact that'll have if it's done. I may put some (toggleable) code in the next release that tells projectpokemon.org what OS you're using. (Just the version number, absolutely nothing else.)

I use Windows 7. I would imagine that most people use Windows 7. (According to http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201104-201204 )

(I see this forum's poll system is even better than I thought... [Hint: extreme sarcasm]. The text is supposed to say "I'm not interested if you're using non-Windows. Don't bother posting to say so.".)

Super Moderators and above can edit polls. You should PM someone to have it renamed (or start a petition to add the ability to edit one's own poll).

I would imagine that most people use Windows 7.

Those statistics don't even agree with the word "most". The majority of the others that I've seen also don't say Windows 7 is "most". That's the problem. Given how out of touch a lot of people that post here seem to be with computers in general, I'm expecting the XP use for this program in particular to be even higher than the average.

But why would you use the public computers to edit save files or generate AR codes? You can't install programs on them to get codes/saves transferred...

slightly related to ibac's statement: In my university's engineering computer lab at they all run XP; the computer science facility used XP as well, but I last was there a year ago.

I say you drop XP support but still have a (stable) version downloadable that works for XP -- just never updated kind of like what was done for vers 2.312 or whatever. If XP is holding you back, drop it!

Visual Studio 2012 no longer has support for XP. That's really the only thing I can think of right now that's a reason for this poll. The C++11 support in Visual Studio 2012 is going to be extremely helpful.

More significant than that (and later down the road), Windows 8 provides an entirely new UI framework for software. It's absolutely amazing from a visual and programming point of view. The down side is that it's not even going to support Windows 7. Microsoft developers seem to be getting less tolerant of maintaining "legacy" support as long as they did with Win9x, and I agree with them.

On a related topic, I don't see the operating system used by companies or organizations as significant. There are significant differences between them and home users.

What Kaphotics mentioned about an out-of-date version for XP users might end up being what's done. It's pretty annoying having to hold things back in order to support people that can't update their hardware/software after nearly 10 years.

You are right Codr, most libraries and the college that I attend use Windows XP. This is how the sentence should have read.

To Reply to Kaphotics, files can be downloaded to portable devices such as jump drives since installing programs are usually not loadable on public computers such as in libraries that is if it allowed. In my public library a person can download programs but not run them unless it involves demonstrations such as how to link to the global link in the children's section of the library on special occasions to download dream world Pokemon.

sorry about the previous post. I did not realize the bad English sentence was written since I did not "proof read" before posting.