Normal Rep Symbols:

reputation_highneg.gif - High Negative

reputation_neg.gif - Negative

reputation_pos.gif - Positive

reputation_highpos.gif - High Positive

This one is just useless, but kinda fun to know how much people are know or whatever. Just another suggestion. :P

I don't know why I put the images.

You know post count doesn't mean everything and same with user rank...

I contributed a lot in the past like when the db first came out but you don't see that in my rank (not complaining btw) and same with post count, maybe some people just post a lot and really have nothing to say.

Personally I think a rep system would be fun to have i mean +rep when it is deserved and -rep when it is deserved. Also if one feels that they were wrongfully + or -repped then they can report it to a moderator and the moderator can adjust accordingly.

I say it would be a good/fun way to keep the community in a positive spin. Because i'm sure no one here wants -rep by their name...

I leave things like this open primarily because there might be someone with a very compelling argument that hasn't been heard yet.

Personally, I think the Rep system is a good system.

Firstly, it tells a lot about a person (obviously). Yes indeed it gets abused, but its incredibly difficult to abuse it on a large scale. There should obviously be rep 'cooldowns', which might be you can only rep someone once every 24 hours or something. Those tend to dramatically reduce rep abusage.

Secondly, you can put many restrictions on rep. For example, make it so only people with 30+ posts can rep. Once the forum gets bigger, increase it to 50+ posts. With these limitations, you can't multi-account to rep yourself and newer people can't derep people who aren't deserving of it for no real reason.

Finally it really does give an indicator of how useful a person is. Post count means nothing, some people have a lot of time on their hands and can be on the forums for long periods of time and have mainly useless posts, yet people listen to them because they have abnormal post counts. A rep system would enable people to realize who actually is reliable and useful, and it gives people a way to thank others for pokemon requests, sig requests, or simply to say, "Nice job."

Also, the fact is, saying, "Just read their posts," isn't a good argument at all. It takes a while so most people wont bother, and the rep system is still the only good way to thank someone or grats someone.

I'm hoping you can come up with a good argument against this.

Also, the fact is, saying, "Just read their posts," isn't a good argument at all. It takes a while so most people wont bother, and the rep system is still the only good way to thank someone or grats someone.

Because someone's "rep" is just a number based around whoever gives them positive/negative rep. People easily just do it for friends or do it to suck up to mods/admin/etc... or because they disagree with someone's opinion and goes out of their way to give them negative rep. Like post count, it is a completely meaningless number to anyone who looks at it.

The reason "Just read their posts" works is because then you get to decide what their "rep" is. And if you never read someone's posts, that means you all don't post in the same threads/forums, so why's it matter. You don't even need to read every post to get a general idea of what you think of a user. Just a few, in threads you read/post in.

And from every way I've heard it described, it sounds like a pain to moderate.

By all means, if the upper staff here decide to activate it, then so be it. But I think it's an extremely unnecessary feature that doesn't provide any real use that individual users can't already do on their own.

reputation system is kinda worthless ..

for sore many people will abuse it and they will think the feature as "a game" and they will strive for many rep and else..

and the worst case is that if there is a "reputation exchange" for some of the users =_= ..

just like some forum in my country >_<

I know rep has settings. You can make it so you can only rep a certain amount of times one day and you have to spread rep before giving it to someone else again. Unless it is automatically set up like that.

I, personally, have never seen anyone spam rep, or abuse it. I don't either. I rarely give it because I never really have any thanks to give.

Rep is like popularity. It is quite rare that someone hands out rep for the right reasons. It is quite the useless feature the vB still includes for what ever reason. It should be a hack these days.

If you rarely give it, then you can't miss it if you don't have it.