Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a fake Dream World

Creating a fake Dream World

I'm not saying I could do it (at present, the only programming I know is some c++ console stuff, which doesn't include networking or any hardware access bar std::cin; I also can't do any scripting/markup language stuff). I was thinking that since Nintendo is eventually going to take down the Dream World (and remove all other online/Wi-Fi stuff for Black and White), would it be possible to make a fake one? I realize that the Dream World is done through a web browser (unlike the GTS), but I figure it would still be possible to make a fake one because of the GTS "hacking" stuff that has been done.
    I know (console) C++. In fact, I made a class that acts as a multi-dimensional array (it's static, but it can be passed to functions easily). (I am aware that Boost has has its own version of this, but I made mine anyway.)

Re: Creating a fake Dream World

No.

Contributor - Event Translation ContributorIRC VOPDeveloperGame Save ResearcherFormer StaffEvent Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kaphotics View Post
    No.
    Haha, why? I haven't looked into it at all but I highly doubt it's that impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhack View Post
    Haha, why? I haven't looked into it at all but I highly doubt it's that impractical.
    It'd be like creating and running a Private Server for those MMORPG games, it'd be super hard to get the internal files and keep up to date. It just wouldn't be worth it, considering we can inject any Pokemon we wish into the Entralink Forest.

Contributor - Event Translation ContributorIRC VOPDeveloperGame Save ResearcherFormer StaffEvent Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kaphotics View Post
    It'd be like creating and running a Private Server for those MMORPG games, it'd be super hard to get the internal files and keep up to date. It just wouldn't be worth it, considering we can inject any Pokemon we wish into the Entralink Forest.
    I need to play more because I don't even know that the Entralink forest is. Anyway I thought the same thing about the GTS before all that happened. Turned out a stripped down version (does anybody have servers that function like the actual GTS with the ability to upload and search many pokemon?) wasn't that out of the question.

As far as the game is concerned it's pretty simple right? Upload pokemon, get back pokemon and/or items? The rest is all done on the server through a web interface so for that part we could have almost unlimited freedom.

Eventsly Staffington Event StaffTranslation ContributorIRC AOPSite ContributorImage ContributorEvent ContributorSuper Moderator Guested's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poryhack View Post
    I need to play more because I don't even know that the Entralink forest is.
    Think of it as a large Mystery Gift delivery man... with the only flags/bits being species, gender, and whether it has a unique move in its fourth moveslot, and what that move is.

Project Pokémon Event Gallery
    All the latest Pokémon Event news: Event News Forum
    Pokémon Event Schedule and Contributions: Contribution Thread
    PokeGen - Pokesav replacement

"Now that I've had my coffee..."

Spreading Chaos..... Chaos Uxie's Avatar

We Edit entralink encounters?????like editing palperk in DP????
    HOW???????

Use Pokestock it's on the forums
    Copyright © Driven by Boredom

I'm interested in this type of project. What kind of data is needed to create a program that pretends to be a dream world server to trick the game? Will it require decrypting communications between the server and game or something else that needs to be done before the servers go down?

That's a big part of what I was thinking. Legacy support. Though with the same type of trickery, It's also good for people who might want to just send themselves batches of items the way you can mimic the GTC to send yourself pokemon.

Support for community features (visiting other islands, dream pals) will require actual servers, but what I have in mind is something you can just run on your own computer to play most of the role. Almost certainly without the one hour a day limit since there's no shared bandwidth issue and because you won't be able to have friends water your berries.

sounds great good luck in your project

Thin is, I need to find SOMETHING about how the GTS mimicry works, If that's even applicable to dream world interactions. Basically, I want to know if data logging actual communications between he GTS and games will be vital to fooling the games, and how to do that.

http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/GTS_protocol

That's a start on how the GTS works. To do what you want to do, you'd want to set up a man-in-the-middle attack, specifically looking to see if it communicates over HTTP, HTTPS, or a direct socket connection. If it's the former, then you should post what you intercepted if you need help decrypting it, because that's easy to work with. If it's HTTPS or a direct socket connection, while still possible, the additional effort involved would likely preclude serious development, since you can't easily distribute anything you find, even if you *can* find something.

Thanks for the helpful explanation. I'm assuming the most efficient way to do that would be to connect my DS directly to my computer, with a wireless card or adapter, though I don't have the hardware for that right now. I'm more likely to try catching it through my router's LAN first.

Quote Originally Posted by gilbmj View Post
    Thanks for the helpful explanation. I'm assuming the most efficient way to do that would be to connect my DS directly to my computer, with a wireless card or adapter, though I don't have the hardware for that right now. I'm more likely to try catching it through my router's LAN first.
    With the GTS, what we did was set the DS's DNS to your local machine, and then run a DNS Spoofer on that machine, so you can view the requests coming and going. You might be able to capture that through your router, but remember that you'll have to sift through every other computer on your network's traffic, as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast