Legality checker is completely useless

dinodragon

I recently created a pokemon and checked it with the legality checker and it checked out fine before I remembered that I forgot the ability altogether. Then I started having my doubts about the legality checker and found some very serious issues.

This is a Charmander that I purposely made to look hacked to even the noobiest pokemon player.

1. Hex values are all 00

2. It has battle armor for its ability

3. I caught it at level 99

4. I caught it in a pokemon center

5. I caught it with a safari ball

6. It knows a ton of great moves

7. All moves have 50 pp

8. I caught it in Johto

9. It is level 50 currently but I caught it at level 99

10. I caught it in the year 2020

Despite all these problems, it still passes the legality checker and all the values are valid. Is the legality checker completely useless? I just downloaded the newest version today and it still checks out fine.

charmander.pkm

charmander.pkm

:eek: that's just messed up! Might wanna contact the creators about that, and I do agree that is absolutely stupid. Well, if you haxxed the PokéCenter to have grass or change it's area type to cave and added wild Pokémon then that part could be fixed, and if you added it to OH COME ON Legality Checker doesn't count hacks! You sure you got it from projectpokemon.org?

I just created that .pkm charmander from scratch and made it look as hacked as possible. Then I downloaded the legality checker from the sticky an hour ago. The pkm checks out fine with the latest legality checker despite all the problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I was actually just reading through the legality checker readme, believe it or not. It said that the legality checker was only meant to check things that weren't visible in-game. Anything that's visible in-game you can check yourself. Things like trash bytes are what the legal checker is for.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible since I'm by no means an experienced hacker...

~Emeraldragon

See, the creators of Legality Checker assumed that people like the OP aren't idiots. You can check move and ability legality yourself. You can't (at least not easily) check hex data whatchamacallits and whatnots.

So choose. Either you're an idiot, or don't run through Pokemon that you know aren't legal and go "AHA!"

It's just as bad when people scan events two minutes after they're released aind go "AHA! INVALID/HACKED. N00BZ LOLSZERS".

*closes*