Three-Set Legendaries

Dually

How do/Why do they come up with the three set legendary pokemon as opposed to the two set? I am talking about The Three Legendary Birds, The Three Legendary Dogs, and the Three Regis; as opposed to Latios/as, Dialga/Palkia, and the others. Anyone care to shed some light?

The three pair concept seems to appear in many things from legends... even in stuff like Hindu religion with their primary gods being Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the Destroyer and Jewish creatures Behemoth, Leviathan and Ziz. And since many of these creatures are "legendary", I suppose that's where the concept is from? To be fair, the Rayquaza/Kyogre/Groudon trio isn't really equal... one is the best of the three (Rayquaza) due to its higher base stats and is the trio's leader, so that's not really a trio but a trio nevertheless. But most of the other things come in three... so expect that in future generations. But who knows what the reasoning is? I don't think it matters in the long run. Even the starters come in pairs of three. Versions also come in three with the exception of Fire Red and Leaf Green. Rock-Paper-Scissor in itself is a trinity... and so are the solid-liquid-gas states. Trinitarian concept is almost everywhere in this universe. Let's just say... three is a magical number?

By the way, Dialga/Palkia are also paired with Giratina... as their BSTs are the same and their movelist are very similar... plus their secondary typings are all dragons. Latios/Latias are just twins... not triplets or anything... but who cares?There are also many duos (mostly to reflect version exclusivity), such as Bellsprout/Oddish, Vulpix/Growlithe, Lunatone/Solrock, Seviper/Zangoose, Sandshrew/Ekans, etc... so what is wrong with that?

I don't think this topic would belong here. Maybe Pokemon Franchise? Meh, I don't think that matters either.

Ugh... Dark/Water, Fighting/Fire, Psychic/Grass is already done a LOT (especially Fire/Fighting). Let's try to mix it up a bit... Psychic/Fire (never done before), Dark/Grass (only done by Cacnea/Cacturne/Nuzleaf/Shiftry), Fighting/Water (only done by Poliwrath)... I don't want another Pokemon outclassing Blaziken or Infernape... or another Pokemon for Infernape to outclass.