New UU Team "Double Dance"

Tbird

Changed - Edits in Red

Hey there, all.

Thought I'd try my hand at making a new team. I kind of hit a rut, as I'm not all that great at this competetive business ... and frankly I suck at making teams. So I thought hard and decided to try and do something a little different.

So this team is called "Double Dance". Now to those who enjoy the OU metagame will usually link the phrase double dance with Kingdra. Alas there is no Kingdra in this team, so as far as the names concerned you'll see why it has adopted that name soon enough. :)

Here's a quick look at the team should you want one beforehand. :D

[HGSSSPRITE]283[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]036[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]171[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]186[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]110[/HGSSSPRITE][HGSSSPRITE]344[/HGSSSPRITE]

The goal of the this team is to allow one of the two (preferably both) dancing pokemon to be able to successfully set up and wreak as much havoc and mayhem as pokemonly possible; while throwing statuses and other nasty things at those who try to oppose me. ;)

The initial theme of the team was to stick with pokemon only around in the Gameboy era, as I always preferred them and because it seemed almost fitting when taking into account the new remakes. :)

Saddly I had to break this trend as I needed Claydol ... I don't like Claydol at all but he (for lack of a better gender) does his job perfectly... And now Gardevoir, but it's cool. She was one of my faves from the thrird Gen

So here we go...

The Lead

gardevoir.gif

Panique (Gardevoir) (F) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Trace

EVs: 56 HP/252 Spd/200 SDef

Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Hypnosis

- Healing Wish

- Psychic

- Trick

The lead is always the hardest thing to chose, because it's hard to understand they're roles at times. Anyway after many a lead shift, this little beaut has done me wonders. It can take an initial beating from the special side, though ambipom will always best me. This sets up perfectly, hit the lead with a trick force a switch, hypnotise the next switch in and then get the next mon to set up. Similarly, for pokemon who are stubborn and just stay in I again get my set up. Perfect lead bar the Ambipom Weakness - But that's why I have a physical wall, I can then bring this lovely lady back out late game and use Heal wish to give someone a second chance later. :).

---

Dancer: One

clefable.png

Clefable (M) @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/56 SDef

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Belly Drum

- Double-edge

- Fire Punch

- Softboiled

So now the opositions lead is asleep I am pretty much, 90% of the time, garunteed to get in belly drum. What's awesome about this is I can get the +6 attack ... and recover. Generally speaking a ghost type will be witched in expecting to taunt and wall me ... as clefable is just a cool version of chansey, right? I get my belly drum in, and this usually scares the ghost off because of their poor poor defence, allowing me to softboil. Once that's happened it's just a blood bath. Steelix tries to wall but it don't get to far after 2 fire punches, Milotic tries it's hand .. BAM Double edge, no recoil; Good night Milotic. I don't really need to give many more examples here, you get the drift. In regards to the EVs, those EVs are usually meant for the trick room version of this set .. but I just liked the bulk on this thing, kinda frustrating when you're getting holes punched through your team and there's jack you can do to stop it. Toxic orb is there to stop myself getting paralysed (Courtesy of Cresselia ¬¬) ... It turns out I have finally found my Cresselia counter ;)

---

Status, Tank, Special Wal, Cleric.. lol.

ani171.gif

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 40 HP/76 Def/140 SAtk/252 SDef

Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Discharge

- Ice Beam

- Toxic

- Heal Bell

So Ampaharos was here originally, and she was working brilliantly, but then I got thinking, wondering if it could be better. So I got on the damage calculator and found that this ... beaut... can take hits better, which was the initial plan. Now at the loss of attack power and an extra 30% paralyse chance I gain a much needed heal bell and stronger wall. Toxic and Discharge for the status, heal bell for team player-ness and ice beam for coverage. :)

---

Dancer: Two

186.gif

Politoed (M) @ Salac Berry

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Bounce

- Belly Drum

- Waterfall

- Substitute

Politoed, though lacking in as much strength as Poliwrath, and though it looses some physical bulk too, is absolutely awesome. Its high special defence means that it can take some hits outside of it's drumming role, with Attack high enough to dent most things and enough speed to get a nice hit on some of the more bulky mons it works wonders. Waterfall is for STAB and Bounce is ... well it's a gimmicky set anyway, so why not get the frog jumping :P. No, seriously bounce is brilliant, it can buy me a pain free turn as they switch to something that can handle it - I.E rhyperior - waterfall is then strong enough to put the hurting on something to resist it - venusaur, then bounce again to get that 2HKO on the rhyperior and 2HKO on venusaur. The strategy is simple, force a switch, get the sub drum down to salac activation and just start kicking the hell out of everyone :P. Bounce also checks his grass weakness and can be handy against Fables fighting weakness. Without belly drum Healing wish can be used to bring her back late game to whoop ass ... So I could, technically, omit the belly drum and just make it look like some sort of sub bounce set :D.

---

Hazer, WoW support

110.jpg

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk

Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Flamethrower

- Thunderbolt

- Will-o-wisp

- Haze

Weezing. Well his job is to better help Magmar set up - should it be needed. Weezing's use is usually based on judgement. For instance someone might have been able to set up on ampy and kill her, so Weezing can come in, haze and burn it for its troubles. Similarly, if the oponant has timed it right, a Steelix could come in and kill clefable, and it would be stupid of me to send out Ampy against such a thing, so Weezing comes, he doesn't mind letting Steelix put rocks up, as it will regret doing so later when Magmars Salac is kicked in in one turn. Weezing will pretty much decimate Steelix everytime, so you can usually anticipate a Moltres switch in, with the well predicted switch I can take about 45 - 55 % off of moltres, weather the next attack and kill it with Tbolt.

Will-o-wisp also comes in mighty handy against the likes of Pinsir, Scyther, Hitmons as they are not a fan of the 50% cut in attack. (again making it easier for Magmar to set up.)

---

Utility

v2dex132.gif

Claydol @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/40 SAtk/74 SDef

Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Stealth Rock

- Rapid Spin

- Earth Power

- Shadow Ball

Claydol's job is pretty simple. Get rid of excess entry hazards. For some reason some teams enjoy throwing every entry hazard at me .. and seem to enjoy in watching me squirm. In this case I will usually send out claydol, anticipate the Ghost coming out to block me (if Clefable hasn't already killed it) through a shadow ball at it .. or two, spin the excess away and, if given the chance, throw down my own rocks to help in withering the next pokes down. Earthpower is there for the great coverage and STAB and basically to just aid in kicking the opposition in a little :P.

---

* Note: Ok, I know, strictly speaking belly drum isn't a dance attack (such as swords dance, rain dance, dragon dance). but you tell me, honestly, you can't imagine these poke's jumping around, dancing and chanting as they Drum on their bellies. :P

Thanks for reading. Rate as you see fit, anything you can suggest I'll happily try out at least once. If you can see anything that's gunna rip through me instantly .. tell me! But also help me figure out as to how to get around the beast that's going to rip through me. :D

Edited by Tbird

To display what's capable of this team. :)

Rules: Freeze Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause

[HGSSSPRITE]283[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]273[/HGSSSPRITE]

Tbird sent out Panique (lvl 100 Gardevoir ?).

(Name) sent out Ludicolo (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).

Panique traced Ludicolo's Swift Swim!

Panique used Hypnosis.

Ludicolo fell asleep!

Ludicolo is fast asleep!

---

So straight away, scarfed hypnosis. Ludicolo lead usually means a Rain team. So I can be safe in the knowledge that Politoed can come in now - as the next poke is only wanting to set up rain - sub on the rain ;)

[HGSSSPRITE]186[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]230[/HGSSSPRITE]

Tbird switched in Politoed (lvl 100 Politoed ?).

(Name) switched in Kingdra (lvl 100 Kingdra ?).

---

Politoed used Substitute.

Politoed lost 25% of its health.

Politoed made a substitute!

Kingdra used Rain Dance.

Rain began to fall!

The rain continues to fall.

---

Kingdra used Dragon Pulse.

The substitute took damage for Politoed!

Politoed's substitute faded!

Politoed used Belly Drum.

Politoed lost 50% of its health.

Politoed's attack was raised.

Politoed's Salac Berry raised its speed!

---

And that's exactly what I did :)

Politoed used Bounce.

Politoed bounced up!

Kingdra used Dragon Pulse.

Kingdra's attack missed!

---

[HGSSSPRITE]186[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]368[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Gorebyss (lvl 100 Gorebyss ?).

Politoed used Bounce.

Gorebyss lost 113% of its health.

(Name)'s Gorebyss fainted.

---

No thank you :P

[HGSSSPRITE]186[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]141[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).

Kabutops used Aqua Jet.

Politoed's Water Absorb absorbed damage!

Politoed restored 25% of its health.

Politoed used Bounce.

Politoed bounced up!

The rain stopped.

---

Thankyou Kabutops :D

Politoed used Bounce.

It's not very effective...

Kabutops lost 55% of its health.

Kabutops is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Kabutops used X-Scissor.

Politoed lost 51% of its health.

Tbird's Politoed fainted.

Kabutops lost 10% of its health.

---

Naw I forgot he didn't have the bulk that Wrath does :/ Oh well, took out a threatening Gorebyss

[HGSSSPRITE]171[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]273[/HGSSSPRITE]

Tbird switched in Lanturn (lvl 100 Lanturn ?).

(Name) switched in Ludicolo (lvl 100 Ludicolo ?).

Lanturn used Discharge.

Ludicolo lost 22% of its health.

---

Ok I wanted to get the KO on Kabutops here....

[HGSSSPRITE]036[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]273[/HGSSSPRITE]

But Ludicolo gives me the prime opportunity to set Clefable up

Tbird switched in Clefable (lvl 100 Clefable ?).

Ludicolo is fast asleep!

Clefable was badly poisoned!

---

Ludicolo is fast asleep!

Clefable used Belly Drum.

Clefable lost 50% of its health.

Clefable's attack was raised.

Clefable is hurt by poison!

---

Ludicolo is fast asleep!

Clefable used Softboiled.

Clefable restored 50% of its health.

---

Ludicolo woke up!

Ludicolo used Rain Dance.

Rain began to fall!

Clefable used Double-edge.

Ludicolo lost 245% of its health.

(Name)'s Ludicolo fainted.

Clefable was hit by recoil!

---

And that's how we do :P

[HGSSSPRITE]036[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]230[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Kingdra (lvl 100 Kingdra ?).

Kingdra used Rain Dance.

Clefable used Double-edge.

Kingdra lost 252% of its health.

(Name)'s Kingdra fainted.

Clefable was hit by recoil!

---

Guess he forgot that he'd already set up rain.

[HGSSSPRITE]110[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]454[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Toxicroak (lvl 100 Toxicroak ?).

Tbird switched in Weezing (lvl 100 Weezing ?).

Toxicroak used Cross Chop.

It's not very effective...

Weezing lost 22% of its health.

Toxicroak soaked up rain!

Toxicroak restored 12% of its health.

Weezing's Black Sludge restored a little health!

Weezing restored 6% of its health.

---

Clefable wouldn't enjoy that cross chop at all, but she's fully healed for later on

[HGSSSPRITE]110[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]311[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Manectric (lvl 100 Manectric ?).

Weezing used Flamethrower.

Manectric lost 18% of its health.

Weezing's Black Sludge restored a little health!

Weezing restored 6% of its health.

---

[HGSSSPRITE]344[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]311[/HGSSSPRITE]

Tbird switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).

Manectric used Thunder.

It doesn't affect Claydol...

---

Manectric used Signal Beam.

It's super effective!

Claydol lost 36% of its health.

Claydol used Earth Power.

It's super effective!

Manectric lost 98% of its health.

(Name)'s Manectric fainted.

Claydol's leftovers restored its health a little!

Claydol restored 6% of its health.

---

Anticipated the thunder, Didn't know what was going to happen next so just used earthpower, figuring I'd hit either Manetric, 'croak or Kabutops for super effective.

[HGSSSPRITE]344[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]454[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Toxicroak (lvl 100 Toxicroak ?).

Toxicroak used Sucker Punch.

It's super effective!

Claydol lost 56% of its health.

Claydol used Earth Power.

It's super effective!

Toxicroak lost 79% of its health.

Toxicroak soaked up rain!

Toxicroak restored 12% of its health.

---

But it failed!

Claydol used Stealth Rock.

Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

The rain stopped.

---

Figured he'd go for sucker punch again, so may as well set stones

It's super effective!

Claydol lost 59% of its health.

Tbird's Claydol fainted.

---

Good Job, but an affordable loss.

[HGSSSPRITE]171[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]454[/HGSSSPRITE]

Tbird switched in Lanturn (lvl 100 Lanturn ?).

Lanturn lost 43% of its health.

Lanturn used Discharge.

Toxicroak lost 39% of its health.

(Name)'s Toxicroak fainted.

Lanturn's leftovers restored its health a little!

Lanturn restored 6% of its health.

---

I figured Lanturn could take the suck punch and KO, then KO the ParaTops... Like so >>>

[HGSSSPRITE]171[/HGSSSPRITE] Vs [HGSSSPRITE]141[/HGSSSPRITE]

(Name) switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).

Pointed stones dug into Kabutops.

Kabutops lost 12% of its health.

Lanturn used Discharge.

It's super effective!

A critical hit!

Kabutops lost 162% of its health.

(Name)'s Kabutops fainted.

Tbird wins!

Tbird: gg

(Name) has left the room.

Edited by Tbird

It's nice to see another UU user around. Maybe we can battle sometime :)

As for the rate:

Gardy:

I understand what your trying to do with her, it is an interesting combo. Something else you might want to watch out for is taunt, lead Frossy can shut down most of this set and they could switch into a dark type to nullify Psychic. That is inevitable as it is extremely hard to stop taunt. :/ Instead of mean look, I would put healing wish or memento. These can either give a poke a second chance, or help on B-Drum sweeper set up. You could even run D-bond if you want. It won't support your team as much, but at least it would take care of Ambi (I'm Para-noid about Ambi leads :P) but other than that, its use is limited.

Clefable:

This is a monster. A Bulky dancer that can restore it's health! *Death to all* No problems here. You have covered her weaknesses really well, Weezing makes a great partner, covering her fighting weakness.

Lanturn:

Yay, a fish. :P First thing, change Careful to Calm. That special attack drop really effects lanturn's damage output. I'm really not sure about toxic...by the looks of it, your team benefits more from Paralysis support. Maybe you could change it to confuse ray to give the famous para-fusion combo. If you are trying to his something specific with it, then maybe it could be useful, but for the most part I believe that the paralysis is more useful.

After looking at your team's grass weakness, I think Lanturn might need to change. To keep with your GBA theme, you could use a special defensive Flareon. It learns Heal Bell and Wish to support the rest of the ream and has some good synergy with the rest of your team.

Flareon (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 248 HP/8 SAtk/252 SDef < Edit: For SR weakness

Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Wish / Heal Bell

- Protect

- Lava Plume / Body Slam <- If you still want paralysis support

- Toxic <- for those water types

The standard support set. It's quite effective, as seen in this warstory.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?3129-Diamond-Vs-Pearl-Battle-Between-Two-In-Game-Teams

It can even take super effective surfs! :)

Poliwrath:

A great belly dancer, bulky and water absorb can let you set up against most bulky waters. No problems here. Azumarill is another option if you are looking for extreme power. Come in on a type weak to water. While they switch, sub up and proceed to B-drum. You already know this, don't you. :P You could also use Politoed for gimmicky reasons. Most people won't expect a B-dance set from him, but he slightly weaker and less bulky on the physical side. The fighting type loss can also be detrimental Change earthquake to return. Water and ground type attacks have redundant coverage and EQ doesn't hit grasses like return does. Since Empoleon is the only poke that resists Water/Normal, and since he isn't in UU... Be sure to change his HP Iv to 30 so Salac activates after a sub and a drumming.

Weezing:

He has great synergy with the Clefable and Lanturn. He can take fighting attacks for Fable and the dreaded ground attacks for Lanturn and in turn, burn them. Haze is usable, I've never tried it as I always ran Pain Split instead. T-bolt and Flamethrower are standard. Looks good. :)

Claydol:

The Standard Claydol. He is alsp a good match up with the likes of Clefable and Lanturn. He can also come in on Psychic types that threaten Weezing. Setting up SR is key in any offensive team. Focus Sashes always ruin my fun :( The rest of it is pretty much...normal :P

Overall I think you have a bit of a grass weakness. The only pokemon who resists it (Weezing) has low SpDef. Only a few things here and there. I'll look at it again in the morning to see if I made any errors. It's a great team Tbird! :) Hope my comments helped

And could you rate my rate? I've never done this before. I just want to make sure I touched all the bases.

Edited by ParaDoX65

Thanks for the rate :D

Yeah it's a good rate you touched all bases :D.

Taunters and similar trickers are usually out-sped by a scarfed hypnosis, and if it doesn't hit (dependant on the lead) I got something that can take him out, also frosslass hates scarfed psychics, psychic on the taunt and then out-speed it for the kill. And, because they don't see the trick first turn I can send it out against something like milotic (who doesn't mind the sleep most times) and scarf it, rendering it almost redundant. But yes, I might change mean look, after psychological value it literally does nothing. I was thinking of maybe going for thunder wave over mean look - I can then screw three pokemon in rapid succession. Similarly, for the times when ambipom comes out or a hypnosis misses, memento or healing wish could come in super handy late game. But the usual switch after Gardevoir is usually weezing or celfable, either way I'm going to be getting a Dance in and then the softboil on the switch.

I really have been feeling that grass weakness as of late, It usually takes an ice beam and a couple earth powers before the grass goes away .. and by then I've lost two pokes so I'm definitely going to try out Flareon. The question is though ... Do I wanna toxic stall, or do I wanna support the team. I guess I'll just try it all out, haha.

Haze on the weezing is definitely needed as I have a bit of a blaziken problem, and if I can get in on the first go, haze as he agilities I'm usually fine. Similarly bulk up wrath doesnt enjoy his sub being broken then getting hazed for his troubles. Tbh I really want explosion on weezing ... but the moves just aren't there, and for what he does do, he does it well.

I have been contemplating Politoed for a bit now, but never had the time to try it out. I think bounce could really come in handy for more paralysis, and at the loss of physical defence I would gain a loss of flying and psychic weakness.

I have tried out a belly drum Azumarill, but it just lacks in speed, I know aqua jet covers that, but up against venasaur, weezing, lanturn, raikou - the many killers in UU the frailness just doesnt cut it, especially as I'll be forced to switch or be OHKO by a leafstorm :/.

Thanks for the rate and suggestions :)

*Edit

Though I don't think Politoed was a serious rec', your mentioning of it made me try it, and it is amazing 2HKO from bounce on rhyperior, and the fast bounce means that grass types can't break my sub :P.

Yeah, I just used the support Flareon set from smogon and add a couple of slashes. Use what works but since you have Politoed to take care of water types, I imagine you could drop toxic.

I'm glad Politoed is working out for you. I didn't remember that he got bounce. If you can predict well, you should be able to annihilate any grasses that come your way. Watch out for Defensive Leafeon and Tangrowth. They can survive a maxed bounce, but aren't seen as often as Roserade and Venasaur. :)

I need to keep up on the updates...Raikou is now in UU and so is Pory-Z ...>.> Something else to prepare for.

Tbird!

I like your team. It makes me want to try to be as creative. I'll give you my opinions on some of your pokes.

Gardevoir- Your Gardevoir set is a little weird looking, but still usable. You could also try a daul screen set with Reflect, Light Screen, and Healing Wish. This allows you to reduce all damage (except crits) by 50%, which greatly helps your Belly Drummers.

Clefable- I love the set! But I do suggest for you to add a little bit of speed to it. I also suggest that you use Leftovers as it does not get any use of Toxic Orb aside from not being able to be effected with other status conditions, few of them hinder Cleafable though.

Lanturn- That's a good way to use it as a supporter.

Politoed- You already heard ParaDoX65 suggest Poliwrath. If you still wanted to use Politoed, I suggest Return over Bounce. It has more power and may not backfire by missing.

Weezing- Hm. I'm not sure if it needs Flamethrower in UU. You should try Rest on it, as you have Heal Bell on Lanturn. You could also use a Rest, Sleep Talk, Will-o-Wisp and Sludge Bomb if it's UU.

Claydol-Hm. I like Explosion on Claydol. That way it can harm most things. Your team seems to lack power. Do you really need Cladyol? Rapid Spin is always useful, but none of your things are weak to it.

Anyways, see you around!

• 4 weeks later...