How to turn .sav to .bak?

NinjaXD

14 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

just rename it.

The .bak file is just the save file (.sav) with the extension renamed (.bak)

However it must already be a functional save file.

I did this but PKHeX says:

Binary is not compatible with save file.

Current SAV Generation: 3

What do I do?

4 hours ago, SkyLink98 said:

Why would you want a .bak file in the first place? They're just save file backups in case something goes wrong with your main save file (which is the .sav).

Also, assuming "inclement emerald" is a Rom Hack: PKHeX does not support rom hacks. That's most probably the reason on why you get that error message.

oh ok thx do you know of anything that does support rom hacks

19 minutes ago, NinjaXD said:

oh ok thx do you know of anything that does support rom hacks

while it is true that PKHeX don’t support ROM hacks, it would coincidentally (not by design) support saves of ROM hacks that don’t change the save structure.

Anyhow, looking at your file under a hex editor, it’s pure garbage.

A7F807A5-A2FA-4513-934C-BD61B47437FE.png

All values should not be FF. It means it wasn’t dumped properly. Or maybe you’ve been using state saves, and not actually saved in-game.

Even save editors that supports ROM hacks would not be able to read this. This file may have the size and extension of a Gen 3 save, but this isn’t a save.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

while it is true that PKHeX don’t support ROM hacks, it would coincidentally (not by design) support saves of ROM hacks that don’t change the save structure.

Anyhow, looking at your file under a hex editor, it’s pure garbage.

A7F807A5-A2FA-4513-934C-BD61B47437FE.png

All values should not be FF. It means it wasn’t dumped properly. Or maybe you’ve been using state saves, and not actually saved in-game.

Even save editors that supports ROM hacks would not be able to read this. This file may have the size and extension of a Gen 3 save, but this isn’t a save.

Do you know how I could fix this or is it just not possible 

2 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

No idea the exact cause of your issue. Are you playing on an emulator? How are you saving the game?

I play on GPemu and I go to the area where it shows your bag and party and I click save. I wait for it to finish saving and close out from the x near the minimize button

53 minutes ago, NinjaXD said:

I play on GPemu and I go to the area where it shows your bag and party and I click save. I wait for it to finish saving and close out from the x near the minimize button

Save twice in game. Then close the emulator. Then look for the correct file in your emulator. You probably got the wrong file and it’s saving somewhere else.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Save twice in game. Then close the emulator. Then look for the correct file in your emulator. You probably got the wrong file and it’s saving somewhere else.

There are only two files that the emulator uses this file and the .gba file

inclement-emerald-v1.13.bak

edit by mod: ROM file removed. Sharing ROMs isn’t allowed. Don’t do it again.

Edited by NinjaXD

3 hours ago, NinjaXD said:

There are only two files that the emulator uses this file and the .gba file

inclement-emerald-v1.13.bak 128 kB · 1 download

edit by mod: ROM file removed. Sharing ROMs isn’t allowed. Don’t do it again.

yeap.
image.png

Also a ton of FFs.

Your emulator is likely saving the file somewhere else, or under some other name.

54 minutes ago, NinjaXD said:

At a glance, looking at the hex data, it looks more like a save. But it’s irregularly sized and has a header in the data. You’re gonna need to trim and edit to use it with PKHeX, then pad and edit to put back into the emulator. 

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

At a glance, looking at the hex data, it looks more like a save. But it’s irregularly sized and has a header in the data. You’re gonna need to trim and edit to use it with PKHeX, then pad and edit to put back into the emulator. 

Please explain how to do those things. I feel incompetent

21 minutes ago, NinjaXD said:

Please explain how to do those things. I feel incompetent

The file below, it's you isn't it? :D

image.png

So here's what I did:
1. Renamed your file to .gba
2. Tried to use this tool to extract the save from within.
3. I obtained this
image.png
4. Tried to open both in PKHeX. Only save1 opens (the save0 file is a false positive)

So what you probably should do.
1. Keep a save unmodified backup of your file.
2. By the way, I am concerned about the numbers in the filename. Make a few more saves, see if they change.
3. Once you're done editing the save, use HxD, go to the location listed in save1's file name (in this case, it is 0x93010. I cannot guarantee it'll remain constant) and paste overwrite that location.
4. You can now try using that new modified randomnumeral.sav in your emulator.

If it is too complicated, consider switching to a simpler emulator.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

The file below, it's you isn't it? :D

image.png

So here's what I did:
1. Renamed your file to .gba
2. Tried to use this tool to extract the save from within.
3. I obtained this
image.png
4. Tried to open both in PKHeX. Only save1 opens (the save0 file is a false positive)

So what you probably should do.
1. Keep a save unmodified backup of your file.
2. By the way, I am concerned about the numbers in the filename. Make a few more saves, see if they change.
3. Once you're done editing the save, use HxD, go to the location listed in save1's file name (in this case, it is 0x93010. I cannot guarantee it'll remain constant) and paste overwrite that location.
4. You can now try using that new modified randomnumeral.sav in your emulator.

If it is too complicated, consider switching to a simpler emulator.

Im pretty sure thats not my file since there is a beldum named STARAPTOR holding a acro bike

Aldo how do I save my changes

3 hours ago, NinjaXD said:

Im pretty sure thats not my file since there is a beldum named STARAPTOR holding a acro bike

You’re playing a ROM hack that has changes to species and items (thus the IDs used have been manipulated). What is displayed is based on indexes of an unmodified game.

Also, I was being rhetorical. It is a file from your file, and it has your name. Of course it is yours, even if you can’t recognise it.

340FF894-1EE3-44C7-B39E-BD02B3707508.jpeg 

Aldo how do I save my changes

After you’ve set the Mon into pc/party (for changes to the Mon), I think it’s File > Export Main > sav > save file as.

Then do what I said in the previous post. (All at your own risk).

out of curiosity, does your emulator have options to ‘export save’ or ‘export battery file’ or something similar?

38 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You’re playing a ROM hack that has changes to species and items (thus the IDs used have been manipulated). What is displayed is based on indexes of an unmodified game.

Also, I was being rhetorical. It is a file from your file, and it has your name. Of course it is yours, even if you can’t recognise it.

340FF894-1EE3-44C7-B39E-BD02B3707508.jpeg 

After you’ve set the Mon into pc/party (for changes to the Mon), I think it’s File > Export Main > sav > save file as.

Then do what I said in the previous post. (All at your own risk).

out of curiosity, does your emulator have options to ‘export save’ or ‘export battery file’ or something similar?

thank you 

it doesnt have those options

21 minutes ago, NinjaXD said:

thank you 

it doesnt have those options

Frankly it might be easier for you to use a different emulator. I’m unsure that file you’ve sent, if edited, could still be read. Or that the name doesn’t change. Or that the offset for edits remain consistent. There’s way too much that can change and lead to screwups.

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, theSLAYER said:

Frankly it might be easier for you to use a different emulator. I’m unsure that file you’ve sent, if edited, could still be read. Or that the name doesn’t change. Or that the offset for edits remain consistent. There’s way too much that can change and lead to screwups.

I know it's been a while but do you know how to do this for nds games

I'm using Desmume and the save files are saved in save states. This is for Pokemon platinum