Possible to pull a save off of SNES Classic emulated and then inject it onto a modded N3DS?

SoMuchLasagna

So, I'd really love to play the colorized ROM hacks of Red and Blue (I own the original, legit VC versions on N3DS), but when I'm done, I want to know if it's possible to take that save file from a SNES Classic (found a tutorial - looks like RetroArch works on it) and inject it onto my modded N3DS so I could then try to move those Pokemon into Bank via Transporter?

I know - super convoluted and might not work (going to see if I can move a Pidgey from the colorized mod on my N3DS right now) to see if it passes the Transporter legality check, but if so, is there any experience using PKHeX with a SNES Classic?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

So, I'd really love to play the colorized ROM hacks of Red and Blue (I own the original, legit VC versions on N3DS), but when I'm done, I want to know if it's possible to take that save file from a SNES Classic (found a tutorial - looks like RetroArch works on it) and inject it onto my modded N3DS so I could then try to move those Pokemon into Bank via Transporter?

I know - super convoluted and might not work (going to see if I can move a Pidgey from the colorized mod on my N3DS right now) to see if it passes the Transporter legality check, but if so, is there any experience using PKHeX with a SNES Classic?

Thanks.

as long as it is a save that PKHeX can ready, the games should be able to read it and it should be fine.

You might need to jump through hoops to convert the save or resize them, but it should be fine.

Most standard emulation architecture uses the same save data as it is (cause it would be too tedious for the game to read the save differently simply because it is emulated), but the sizes may vary, so gotta check and compare the files instead of blindly dumping and restoring them.

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

as long as it is a save that PKHeX can ready, the games should be able to read it and it should be fine.

You might need to jump through hoops to convert the save or resize them, but it should be fine.

Most standard emulation architecture uses the same save data as it is (cause it would be too tedious for the game to read the save differently simply because it is emulated), but the sizes may vary, so gotta check and compare the files instead of blindly dumping and restoring them.

That's the kicker - I think the save files on SNES Classic are .srm or .sram files (source), since SNES Classic assumes everything is a 'cartridge.' So I think I'd need to try and emulate on something else that produces sav, .dsv, .dat, .gci, .raw, or .bin files.

More research necessary.

I don't know all those for sure but everyone I do know is just a name choice of the same thing  srm is the same as raw, bin, dat, and sav just rename the file. The only difference is the possibility that some emulator pads the file with zeroes to a larger size and that may need cut off.

Edited by shadowofdarkness

26 minutes ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

That's the kicker - I think the save files on SNES Classic are .srm or .sram files (source), since SNES Classic assumes everything is a 'cartridge.' So I think I'd need to try and emulate on something else that produces sav, .dsv, .dat, .gci, .raw, or .bin files.

More research necessary.

just dump the save first, and upload it here. (make sure it's the save, not the ROM)

Let's do it step by step. can worry about it all later.

On 12/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, theSLAYER said:

just dump the save first, and upload it here. (make sure it's the save, not the ROM)

Let's do it step by step. can worry about it all later.

Super interesting. Ran a similar (but different) colorized version on Batocera (Pokemon Blue colorized, vanilla, so same Gen. 1 sprites, but colorized) and the save is also a .srm file. I'll play until I can catch a Pidgey or something, throw it in the box, then upload the save here. From here, we can see if it's possible to take said .srm file, make sure it's legal (via PKHeX, maybe?), and then inject THAT save onto my modded N3DS to see if it takes in the injected same vanilla-colorized-Gen. 1 sprites version of Blue.

And THEN we'll see if we can them into Transporter!

Lots of work, but I want to see if I can at least have a living 'Dex of Gen. 1 and Gen. 2. Weird, 30s goals, I guess.

3 hours ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

Super interesting. Ran a similar (but different) colorized version on Batocera (Pokemon Blue colorized, vanilla, so same Gen. 1 sprites, but colorized) and the save is also a .srm file. I'll play until I can catch a Pidgey or something, throw it in the box, then upload the save here. From here, we can see if it's possible to take said .srm file, make sure it's legal (via PKHeX, maybe?), and then inject THAT save onto my modded N3DS to see if it takes in the injected same vanilla-colorized-Gen. 1 sprites version of Blue.

And THEN we'll see if we can them into Transporter!

Lots of work, but I want to see if I can at least have a living 'Dex of Gen. 1 and Gen. 2. Weird, 30s goals, I guess.

In the save doesn’t load on PKHeX, just upload it here. Let us take a look at it 

4 hours ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

Here's a .sav from the Colorized Pokemon Blue using Gen 2 sprites. I also need to push the CIA to my modded N3DS and see if it even takes.

Pokemon Blue.sav 32.04 kB · 1 download

This isn't a "srm" you've been talking about. This is a sav. It loads fine on PKHeX.
Just rename it to sav.dat and inject it into a VC cia. It would work fine.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

This isn't a "srm" you've been talking about. This is a sav. It loads fine on PKHeX.
Just rename it to sav.dat and inject it into a VC cia. It would work fine.

Yeah. VBA-RR gives them as .sav files. Everything else gave a .srm, but Pokelink only works with VBA-RR. C'est la vie, right?

Am I able to inject this save into an official VC? Like, I have Red, Blue, and Yellow releases (only the official VC purchases even show up in Transporter), but I can't seem to find where to put the save data for it to load in my legit VC purchase?

2 minutes ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

Yeah. VBA-RR gives them as .sav files. Everything else gave a .srm, but Pokelink only works with VBA-RR. C'est la vie, right?

Am I able to inject this save into an official VC? Like, I have Red, Blue, and Yellow releases (only the official VC purchases even show up in Transporter), but I can't seem to find where to put the save data for it to load in my legit VC purchase?

Homebrew. Use JKSM/JKSV (I forgot is it M or V for the 3DS) /Checkpoint to dump and restore saves on the 3DS.

Yes, you'll be able to use it. The only thing about your 'colorized' version is that they changed the color and sprites. The save still functions as is. I know, cause I played a colorized Red and imported the save into my VC game.

4 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Homebrew. Use JKSM/JKSV (I forgot is it M or V for the 3DS) /Checkpoint to dump and restore saves on the 3DS.

Yes, you'll be able to use it. The only thing about your 'colorized' version is that they changed the color and sprites. The save still functions as is. I know, cause I played a colorized Red and imported the save into my VC game.

Awesome. Are you saying I can use either JKSM or Checkpoint? Looks like the latter was updated much more recently. 

Excited to try my first save import to bring a sweet, sweet Pidgey into Transporter > Bank > Home. 😅

Just now, SoMuchLasagna said:

Awesome. Are you saying I can use either JKSM or Checkpoint? Looks like the latter was updated much more recently. 

Excited to try my first save import to bring a sweet, sweet Pidgey into Transporter > Bank > Home. 😅

Yeah can use either. JKSM has a 'Reload Titles/Refresh Titles' option, which helps if certain games don't show up.
While Checkpoint is more updated it seems, if installed titles don't show up, may need to perform extra steps to get them to show up.

10 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Yeah can use either. JKSM has a 'Reload Titles/Refresh Titles' option, which helps if certain games don't show up.
While Checkpoint is more updated it seems, if installed titles don't show up, may need to perform extra steps to get them to show up.

Just got JKSM installed. Looks pretty straightforward, except when I select one of my Pokemon games, the only folder is 'New' and when I click it, it looks like its generating a file name right now? So, more experimentation needed on my end to understand how it works and how I can inject my .sav into the VC title.

6 hours ago, SoMuchLasagna said:

Just got JKSM installed. Looks pretty straightforward, except when I select one of my Pokemon games, the only folder is 'New' and when I click it, it looks like its generating a file name right now? So, more experimentation needed on my end to understand how it works and how I can inject my .sav into the VC title.

Well, you’re creating a new folder cause you’ve never backed up a save before. For the record, those folders aren’t the exact save the game uses. You’re merely “making a copy”. 

so you can replace the file in “the copy”, then select restore, and bababoom 

For VC Pokémon, just replace the sav.dat with a valid sav.dat of your choice, and restore. That’s it.

For Gen 1, and save file that PKHeX can read should be valid and can be renamed straightaway to sav.dat.

for Gen 2, you might need to hex edit the footer bytes; the time stamp stored by emu and cart/vc slightly differs.