Pokemon Colosseum save file from (U) <-> (J)

KazoWAR

Not sure if this new or not, but I was able to load a Japanese Pokemon Colosseum save file on the U version of the game. This is important imo because now I can play the game with the U version to complete it, then swap it out to the Japanese version and use it to get Celebi with the Japanese Pokemon Colosseum bonus disk. After hex editing the save file, you need to do a checksum fix.

Hex edit of the (U) sav file to the (J) one.

Befor:

hex-befor.png

After:

hex-after.png

Results:

(J) to (U)

GC6E01-1.png

GC6E01-2.png

(U) to (J)

GC6J01-1.png

GC6J01-2.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly Dolphin's Mem Card utility has the Fix Checksum option built in and works quite well, I did this for my younger brother a week or two ago since he wanted a Celebi with a completed save from gamefaqs. If anyone else is doing this for a Celebi, remember you need will also need the japanese gba game version of.. your 3rd gen? pokemon game.

Yea, I used the memcard tool with dolphin to fix the checksums. Also, don't need a Japanese GBA game because the first celebi is added to the Colosseum game. Just transfer it back to the (U) version and then trade from there, but yea, I plan on getting one to mass trade celebi's to it in hopes for good nature and IVs

@Poryhack, yea screenshots from dolphin.

A flash cart like an ezflash 3in1 would be handy for that. ;)

The reason I ask about the screenshots is that yesterday I backed up my Pokemon xD disc and it didn't seem to be running in Dolphin. It wasn't too high-priority or I'd have searched around more, but seeing those nice shots just got me wondering...

Yea, I used the memcard tool with dolphin to fix the checksums. Also, don't need a Japanese GBA game because the first celebi is added to the Colosseum game. Just transfer it back to the (U) version and then trade from there, but yea, I plan on getting one to mass trade celebi's to it in hopes for good nature and IVs

I guess you have that possibility, but if you can, would you mind backing up your gba save file (the one that contains Ageto Celebi) and put it up here, so we could get Ageto Celebi ourselves?

I'd really like to get an Ageto Celebi on my GBA games, so if you put up a save file, I'll use it in NO$GBA along with my Ruby save file, then I'd restore my save file to my retail GBA cart.

If you don't mind it, could you please try and get a Modest one?

Since you don't have a Japanese GBA game, if you can't get one, any one will do.

That would be very helpful, since at the moment I got WISHMKR Jirachi and 10 ANIV Celebi. All I need is an Ageto Celebi, lol.

Edited by Guest

Have you tried this? I wasn't sure since I couldn't confirm it because I don't have the little transfer dongle thing. But if it does work that's just awesome.

A flash cart like an ezflash 3in1 would be handy for that. ;)

The reason I ask about the screenshots is that yesterday I backed up my Pokemon xD disc and it didn't seem to be running in Dolphin. It wasn't too high-priority or I'd have searched around more, but seeing those nice shots just got me wondering...

does that work? I just assumed it wouldn't because the way it doesn't work with pal park unless you patch the nds rom.

I guess you have that possibility, but if you can, would you mind backing up your gba save file (the one that contains Ageto Celebi) and put it up here, so we could get Ageto Celebi ourself?

I'd really like to get an Ageto Celebi on my GBA games, so if you put up a save file, I'll use it in NO$GBA along with my Ruby save file, then I'd restore my save file to my retail GBA cart.

If you don't mind it, could you please try and get a Modest one?

Since you don't have a Japanese GBA game, if you can't get one, any one will do.

That would be very helpful, since at the moment I got WISHMKR Jirachi and 10 ANIV Celebi. All I need is an Ageto Celebi, lol.

Sure, but I dont plan on doing it anytime soon.

Have you tried this? I wasn't sure since I couldn't confirm it because I don't have the little transfer dongle thing. But if it does work that's just awesome.

Well, not personally, but this guy that has a video of him getting the ageto celebi said that you need the japanese version of Colosseum with a completed game and that the first celebi is put on the Colosseum game its self, then it can trade up to 49 others to a GBA games, one each. it seems logical if you restore the sav to be used on the (U) game, then it will be able to trade the celebi to the (U) gba games.

does that work? I just assumed it wouldn't because the way it doesn't work with pal park unless you patch the nds rom.

You could use the 3in1 only for getting the Celebi, then use NO$GBA to trade over the Celebis to an US save file, then put the save file back onto the retail cart using GBA_Backup_Tool.

I can confirm trading between two different roms is possible on NO$GBA and that restoring the save file that has the events works too, as I did it with my Ruby version and several other roms.

Sure, but I dont plan on doing it anytime soon.

Yay, thanks.

Take all the time you need for that.

Well, not personally, but this guy that has a video of him getting the ageto celebi said that you need the japanese version of Colosseum with a completed game and that the first celebi is put on the Colosseum game its self, then it can trade up to 49 others to a GBA games, one each. it seems logical if you restore the sav to be used on the (U) game, then it will be able to trade the celebi to the (U) gba games.

Yeah, I saw that video too.

I'm not sure how similar the process is to palparking, but it's possible that it'd work if the save is accessed the same as is is in-game. (Saving on a 3in1 works just fine.)

I have a 3in1 and I'm now curious, so I'll try it. Just have to get it working first as I've had nothing but problems with the battery.

What I've found (to my disappointment and waste of a day) that while you can convert an originally Japanese save to an American save, you won't be able to transfer the Celebi to an American 3rd gen cart. The saves themselves are region-locked to only trade with certain GBA games. I tried trading with an American Emerald and I got the message "Unable to communicate. This is not an American game pack" when attempting to transfer my Ageto Celebi off the converted save.

Also, aren't Colo\xD saves encrypted with the serial number of the memory card they were created on?

It will run if you only use one core and keep the DSP enabled. And for better visuals disable fog and uncheck CPU to EFB access, if you're using D3D9 plugin :).

Thanks. I disabled dual-core and it's been working. I'm not entirely certain that when it "wasn't working" before it wasn't just taking a while to get to the health and safety screen; my CPU's not the speediest.

What I've found (to my disappointment and waste of a day) that while you can convert an originally Japanese save to an American save, you won't be able to transfer the Celebi to an American 3rd gen cart. The saves themselves are region-locked to only trade with certain GBA games. I tried trading with an American Emerald and I got the message "Unable to communicate. This is not an American game pack" when attempting to transfer my Ageto Celebi off the converted save.

Also, aren't Colo\xD saves encrypted with the serial number of the memory card they were created on?

I'm not sure I understand. You say the Colo save has been converted to American, the GBA cart is English, and presumably the Colo disc itself was American. Why would you receive a message stating that the cart isn't American when it obviously is?

It would make sense to me if it said "This is not a Japanese game pack.", but I don't think it'd say that unless you were playing Colosseum in Japanese.

I'm not sure I understand. You say the Colo save has been converted to American, the GBA cart is English, and presumably the Colo disc itself was American. Why would you receive a message stating that the cart isn't American when it obviously is?

That is exactly what I am saying. On an American Colo save, with an American Colo disc, and an English GBA Emerald (which worked with American Colo previously!) it says the cartridge is not American\English.

I'm guessing the save itself is keyed to only work with certain regions, regardless of what version of Colosseum it's running on. Presumably the translators who translated that message assumed that if there was an incompatibility between save and cart, it was because the cartridge was not American.

Oh well. It's all moot anyway, because I just successfully transferred a Celebi to my American Emerald using a converted save from off the interwebs. I guess they're not encrypted after all. Found the converted, no-Celebi save here, used a copy of the bonus disc to get a Celebi on it, then converted it back to an American save.

You don't have do any hex editing whatsoever; you can change the GC6J to a GC6E in Textpad, then let Dolphin's Memcard utility fix the checksum.

lmao I left that as puridied >< i talk english good durrr...fixed

The reason that probably worked out for you is because the save I used was originally from a (U) game so the gba region locks are still set to American games...where it is located I have no clue since I didn't really look into it... just kind of worked out that way.

Oh well. It's all moot anyway, because I just successfully transferred a Celebi to my American Emerald using a converted save from off the interwebs. I guess they're not encrypted after all. Found the converted, no-Celebi save here, used a copy of the bonus disc to get a Celebi on it, then converted it back to an American save.

You don't have do any hex editing whatsoever; you can change the GC6J to a GC6E in Textpad, then let Dolphin's Memcard utility fix the checksum.

Do you have any way to backup your Emerald save file, so we could get Celebi too?

You don't need to do it, but if you don't mind, that'd be helpful.

In case you can backup your save:

If you don't mind making a backup, I suggest you sent a save file containing a different Celebi than the one you got.

I don't think you'd want your Celebi to be massively cloned, so putting up a save file containing a different one will prevent that.

Oh, and if you can, could you put two different Celebi on the save file?

I'd like to get a Celebi for myself and one for my friend, and having two different ones instead of a cloned Celebi would be better.

O_O

Thank you so much for that save file. I've been looking everywhere for it for the past few months. Could you give me your source?

Do you have any way to backup your Emerald save file, so we could get Celebi too?

You don't need to do it, but if you don't mind, that'd be helpful.

In case you can backup your save:

If you don't mind making a backup, I suggest you sent a save file containing a different Celebi than the one you got.

I don't think you'd want your Celebi to be massively cloned, so putting up a save file containing a different one will prevent that.

Oh, and if you can, could you put two different Celebi on the save file?

I'd like to get a Celebi for myself and one for my friend, and having two different ones instead of a cloned Celebi would be better.

Does it have to be on an Emerald save, or can they be Pal Parked? Although I can backup my Emerald, I'm not keen on giving the whole save file away.

O_O

Thank you so much for that save file. I've been looking everywhere for it for the past few months. Could you give me your source?

Someone on the Wiiso forums posted them, same place I found the bonus disc ISO.

Does it have to be on an Emerald save, or can they be Pal Parked? Although I can backup my Emerald, I'm not keen on giving the whole save file away.

Well obviously we're trying to get them on our 3rd gen. games, so Pal-Parking it is a big no-no.

Some tips if you don't want us to have your complete save file:

1- Start a new file on another game and trade the Celebi to there;

2- Get a copy of your save file and release everything from there except the Celebi and a random Pokémon.

Since you don't seem to want us to take any other Pokémon from your save file, the solution would be to have a save file that only got the Celebi, leading back to one of the two options there.

Oh, and, out of curiosity, do you have any way to get many different Celebi?

I'd like to have a Celebi for myself and for my friend, and having two different ones instead of clones would be better.

Although if you can't, that's not an obligation.

Since you said you got an .iso file of the Bonus Disc, then I guess you can wipe over the Bonus Disc save file to transfer a Celebi to the Colosseum save file in case you don't have access to a Japanese game.

Someone on the Wiiso forums posted them, same place I found the bonus disc ISO.

Ah, I see. So it's just a NTSC-U save file converted to a NTSC-J one. I should've read your post properly. I've had the same ISO in my possession since June (see @-Eon on the first page of the thread) and I was going to order a Japanese Emerald online to mass-receive Celebi like KazoWAR but I gave that idea up after seeing that no one had access to a copy of the save file nor could I find one anywhere. Now I can't decide if I should bother because there's bound to be a Celebi event in the near future with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Sure, there will be a Celebi event in HG/SS.

But that won't let us have many Celebi in 3rd gen. games.

And what save file are you talking about?

A save file for Colosseum or a save file for Emerald?