Can I turn off my Switch without...

Iz.

I finally bought my Nintendo Switch, with homebrew installed. The person I bought it from, told me not to let my console go off. If it does, I'd need a jig and a usb-c cable to get it to the way it is currently set up. Covid19 has left him dry with jigs to sell.  So my question is, do I really need both items so I can turn my switch off and on? I wanted to use PKhex, but if I do need a jig and usb-c cable, then I'll have to wait until I get my hand on both. @theSLAYER

You can also use some tinfoil paper or a paperclip.

If you're intention is to read / write / edit the files on the SD you can also use ftpd snap to remotely access the SD without the need of remove the SD from the Switch console. This method require your switch to be connected on the internet. Do not connect your switch on the internet if you have installed unofficial app / games or custom themes. Also do not connect your switch to the internet if you have installed official games but from unauthorized sources.

@SkyLink24 my console has Switch games installed, that I did not purchase. So I guess ftpd is not an option for me.

I set my console to auto RCM but I still needed to re-jig my console after turning it off and on. I had to travel to my plug's house to get my console back on, as he has a jig and the app required on his computer.

I suppose I am missing files? Can anyone provide me to a link for auto rcm? I want to hop on PKhex so badly lol

1 hour ago, Iz. said:

I set my console to auto RCM but I still needed to re-jig my console after turning it off and on. I had to travel to my plug's house to get my console back on, as he has a jig and the app required on his computer.

you don't need to rejig if you're on auto RCM.

Just press ON button on the console (back light is on but screen is still black),
Then connect to USB C to computer,
and perform the standard tegra smasher.

I think you meant to say you need a coldboot solution. There is no coldboot solution presently.
It still requires a tether boot up. Jig is not necessary (Jig is for entering RCM), but still need something to wake the system up from RCM..

8 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Just press ON button on the console (back light is on but screen is still black),
Then connect to USB C to computer,
and perform the standard tegra smasher.

I believe my nintendo switch had no back light on. I can't confirm either, as I don't own a USB-C cable.

7 minutes ago, Iz. said:

I believe my nintendo switch had no back light on. I can't confirm either, as I don't own a USB-C cable.

Basically, you Switch has to be power on (into RCM) before you can use tegra smasher.
Do note that RCM mode still drains battery, so if you accidentally went into RCM mode and left it there (because it looks pretty much like the off screen), it turn the Switch off.

However, you can simply recharge the Switch.
Allow the Switch to regain initial charge, then tegra smash and quickly swap to charger (so that it charges faster when not in RCM but in CFW).

Presently your Switch sounds like it's completely powered off. In any case as per your original question, a jig is not needed with auto RCM.
However you'll need some kind of way to enter tethered boot up sequence (USB-C cable was just an example; I don't know what is your original method of booting)

18 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

However you'll need some kind of way to enter tethered boot up sequence (USB-C cable was just an example; I don't know what is your original method of booting)

I currently leave my Switch on, all the time. I let if fall asleep, but that's it. Turning off my Switch would require me to go to the person that sold the console to me. He connects his right joy con that he configured to use as a jig, plugs my console to his computer and uses an app (I didn't catch the name of the app) and it is how he boots my console back on.

I'm assuming this entire thread's basis is on turning off the Switch to get the SD card?

If your CFW is on one of the most recent versions, it should allow you to restart back into CFW.
Select Power Options > Restart, then when it goes into black screen (before it restarts), you can eject the SD card,
and your restart will pause, requiring you to inject back the SD card.

Once you inject the SD card, and press button, it'll properly restart into CFW.

(that's the method I use right now, cause I dislike tegra smashing again and again)

Use at your own risk, of course.

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

If your CFW is on one of the most recent versions, it should allow you to restart back into CFW.

How do I make sure I am on the most recent CFW? I assume it is. As I actually can restart my console, and it will allow me to enter CFW.

4 minutes ago, Iz. said:

@theSLAYER I did not make a backup of my current save. I was too excited that I didn't do that first. XD

Updating your CFW files won't affect your save, as long as you don't delete the Nintendo Folder.

If you were using Atmosphere, grab the latest files. You may wanna remove the other folders associated to Atmosphere.
(be careful with the Switch folder tho, since it may contain your save backups. keep a copy of the SD card on your PC)

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases

Also, what do you mean

19 minutes ago, Iz. said:

I didn't enter back into CFW

What did it enter into, OFW?

I didn't use checkpoint, to make a backup file of my current Shield save file, to open up in pkhex. 

I removed my sd card as soon as the screen turned black, after hitting restart. I can't recall what I chose. I was in a screen where I had to use the volume buttons to move up and down. I used the power button to select my option. I think I only chose reboot. I didn't bother playing close attention. I have a little too much going on that I wasn't properly focused. @theSLAYER