[WANTED] No HM Version Roms.

No HM Pokemon Rom?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a no HM Pokemon rom?

• Yes
    • No

So for some of the silly challenge runs I have ever conceived I usually hit the road block of well how do I deal with the bush you have to cut or the boulder to push out of the way. I recently streamed a Magikarp only run to completion and the only reason I was able to do so was the Pokemon crystal clear rom hack. The awesome thing about the rom hack is it requires no HM's to move about the game and you could even choose the route you wanted to clear the gym leaders in. This got me thinking well I would like to maybe try to do something this dumb in a different maybe newer rom but it's always HM's keeping me from doing so. I figured I would try to find a forums that had a pokemon rom hacks section and maybe ask if anyone was interested in making for instance Pokemon Leaf  Green require no HM's.

15 hours ago, TechManDylan said:

So for some of the silly challenge runs I have ever conceived I usually hit the road block of well how do I deal with the bush you have to cut or the boulder to push out of the way. I recently streamed a Magikarp only run to completion and the only reason I was able to do so was the Pokemon crystal clear rom hack. The awesome thing about the rom hack is it requires no HM's to move about the game and you could even choose the route you wanted to clear the gym leaders in. This got me thinking well I would like to maybe try to do something this dumb in a different maybe newer rom but it's always HM's keeping me from doing so. I figured I would try to find a forums that had a pokemon rom hacks section and maybe ask if anyone was interested in making for instance Pokemon Leaf  Green require no HM's.

Distriibution of ROMs isn't allowed on our forums (however patches are fine).

While I (X) doubt anyone is going to make this for you, I'm gonna leave this post here just in case. :)

(However, don't bump this thread if it doesn't get attention; too many people do that :/ )

• 6 months later...

There are two alternative modifications you can try in gen III:

1. Edit the HM moves so they are useful, while keeping them in-them (for example, making Cut a Grass move with 70 or 80 BP). You still need to build your team around having them, but at least you can avoid having dead moves
  2. Use one of the the unused Pokemon data slots (there are several between Celebi and Treecko):
    1. Choose one of them, change the species name to something like "Utility Machine", make all the Base Stats 1, make the type ???, and make it able to learn all the HMs. Replace their pics with something that fits if desired. This way, they will die to a single hit, and can't really do any damage. Even if you are forced to switch into them by Roar or something, they will do at most 1 damage each time they make a move, reducing their effect on the desired challenge.

Alternate ending #3: you edit the maps on the ROM so that there's no necessity for HMs, as it was in the Crystal Clear hack.

This would involve things such as removing HM-related objects (cut trees, strength and rock smash boulders), making bridges over water, and possibly coming up with more unique options to get to water-heavy areas. Alternatively/additionally, have very easy access to a Move Deleter and/or Move Reminder.

Crystal Clear, as you know, did all of this very effectively: it removed most boulders and cut trees, added in small land bridges in some places as well as paths to get around waterfalls, and rigged up an easy ferry system that would take the player to areas such as Cianwood City and Cinnabar Island. You only needed HMs for fully optional content such as the Dragon's Den*, the Whirl Islands, Mt. Mortar, and things like items behind cut trees or rock smash-encounter Pokemon.
You never had to use HMs if you didn't want to, and the Move Deleter was accessible from early on rather than at the end of the game. In my recent 100% playthrough, the only HM I actively used was Surf, but I could easily swap other HMs onto my team thanks to there being a Move Reminder NPC in the game to re-teach whatever move I deleted.

* yes I know it's not optional in gsc + hgss, but in Crystal Clear, it was edited so Clair just gives the player the badge rather than sending them on a proof of worth quest. bless