Pokélib project : Control your ROM from Javascript

Hi guys,

I've been working since a few months on Virt.js, a Javascript emulation library (not an regular standalone application, but a real library, which can be embed into any other kind of application). The Gameboy Classic emulator is still missing a few features (such as the sound), but it plays Pokémon flawless.

Anyway, as a showcase, I've also started the Pokélib project : a Javascript library exposing a convenient API to manipulate runtime data from a Pokémon Red ROM. Some features :

• Can read and write the team infos (nickname, size, species, level ...)
  • Can access (read only) to the static infos from the ROM (such as species base stats)
  • Can add / remove / list the bag content
  • ... much more

Real-time demonstration work best, so heads to the Github repository to see it yourself. The demo is using both Angular.js and Virt.js, and the Pokélib is the glue between them. You will be able to get a default save, and modify some characteristics from your Pokémon. The only limit is that I haven't implemented as much interface as required to edit, say, the Pokémon stats.

So guys, I would love to hear your opinion. Would you be interested by some followups ? :smile: I think such a project would come handy to any TPP-like application, but you tell me !

wk5r5Sn.png

This is really impressive. I only played with it briefly but I can definitely see how it would be cool for a "Twitch Plays Pokemon" scenario. Bummer that you missed the hype train on that or this could have really exploded. Have you posted this anywhere else? I'm a little bummed out for you that you've gotten such a lukewarm response here; don't take it to heart. Most of the dev-types around here are focused on X/Y at the moment.

Thanks! :smile:

I've posted it on Reddit (/r/programming & /r/javascript) and Hacker News but it didn't get much traction in any of these places. But eh, nevermind. If nothing else, being able to watch Zelda's intro on my own emulator is a nice reward!