Save encryption question

Shady Guy Jose

Has the pre-6.0.0 save encryption been cracked? If so, woudn't someone with an emuNAND and a Powersaves device be able to force X/Y to save using the old encryption and dump their save in a decryptable form? This wouldn't be of much use to us regular folks, but the devs who are researching the save structure could make good use of this. However, this seems way too simple to be unthought of, so basically I'm asking "What did I miss?".

The keys are write only so you have to have advanced custom firmware to dump.

There is no shared custom firmware with that capability.

Yes, I know about that, I wasn't suggesting dumping the keys. I take it to mean that even the old encryption is uncrackable, then?

Edited by Shady Guy Jose

Yes, I know about that, I wasn't suggesting dumping the keys. I take it to mean that even the old encryption is uncrackable, then?

It's not actually the old encryption. It's the new encryption done wrong, because emuNAND does not boot the new firmware properly (it skips initializing one of the necessary encryption keyslots). Which likely actually makes it easier to decrypt, but there are still some unknowns we have to figure out first.

It's not actually the old encryption. It's the new encryption done wrong, because emuNAND does not boot the new firmware properly (it skips initializing one of the necessary encryption keyslots). Which likely actually makes it easier to decrypt, but there are still some unknowns we have to figure out first.

So there could be something to it? Even if it does not lead to making it easier to decrypt regular saves, I assume devs would find some used for decrypted saves, even if only from flashcard users...