Are PKM files accurate representations of the game’s original data?

Eirikr

Apart from the addition of a ribbon, is there anything in the internal data of a pkm file that changes when it is uploaded to Pokecheck and then sent back to the game? In other words, does the data change in any way from the time it is initially in the game, uploaded to Pokecheck and then sent back? Do the bytes change at all? Is there data lost in the process?

I’m asking because I’m concerned of getting errors on my pkm files and possibly, on the long term, corrupting my save data on my 300 hours of play. Is Pokecheck a 100% accurate in terms of reproducing and copying the game data?

I need an honest answer from someone who actually knows. I’m hoping some of the Pokecheck developpers here will answer me. Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I’m new on this site, but I’ve been lurking around here for a while! So sorry for any noobishness on my part.

The upload process doesn't alter the .pkm file, unless you import a 4th gen .pkm into 5th gen format, which will apply the proper changes. If you're doing a .pkm file upload, some programs may do it improperly. GTS uploads are 100% accurate.

Thanks! You answered my question. Is there anywhere online where I can find a summary of the actual data contained in a PKM file as well as info on the uploading process? I'm aware that you may be wanting to keep that information hidden. I'll understand if you don't want to tell me anything about it.

I'm aware that you may be wanting to keep that information hidden. I'll understand if you don't want to tell me anything about it.

Most of us are pretty open about sharing this sort of info. If you ever have any questions, feel free to post again or jump in the IRC. Most information you are looking for is probably in that wiki, though (thanks LEGOanimal).