Pokégen 3.1.13 unable to open on Win XP

yardena210

If you couldn't tell by the title, the newest version of Pokégen (3.1.13) is not opening for me at all, despite the update making it able to run on XP. Nothing comes up, not even an error. I am running Windows XP Proffesional SP3, and I have tried disabling my antivirus before running the program.

Sigh, why do people still use XP when it's so outdated :/

So there's no errors at all? The program doesn't respond at all when you run it? I'm going to guess that's it's a .NET Framework issue, PokeGen could be targeting .NET 4.0 or 4.5 which in VS2012, doesn't work in XP since 4.5 doesn't exist in XP and VS2012's 4.0 is different from XP's. Or if C++ is involved, VS2012 Update 1 is required to get it working with XP.

PokeGen doesn't use .NET BS. There are no library requirements, nor are there any optional DLL requirements. Every Windows installation has what's needed. Someone has mentioned before that their firewall has caused problems, because by default, PokeGen checks for updates before the main window is even displayed.

i'm not supporting something that old. that's almost definitely the problem.

Athlon XP 1500+ 	1333 MHz 	256 KB 	266 MT/s 	10x 	1.75 V 	60.0 W 	October 9, 2001 	AX1500DMT3C

the error code isn't just for SSE stuff, it's for any unsupported instruction. there's a slight chance there's ram problems causing unsupported instructions(especially if the ram is also 12 years old), but it's most likely the incredibly old age of your cpu.

i was talking to codr about it and he last built pokegen with visual studio 2010 for 3.1.10. i'm using visual studio 2012 with the winXP setting on and i'd imagine that vs2012 builds using.. something that an older cpu like that can't support. i spent a bit of time looking and i didn't see anything in it about older cpus or different instruction sets that looked like they might fix the problem.