BBTags Shortcuts

wraith89

BBTags Shortcuts

Frequently Asked Questions

1) What are BBTags?

BBTags are short codes that one can write while posting on a forums in order to create a special effect for whatever text they are writing.

2) Why write this?

I am only writing this because so many people seem to have trouble with BBTags. I just hope by reading this people will become more BBTag proficient when typing up posts. Not only does it make it easier to read but it is also practical. Sure, there are times there is no need for BBTags (such as when writing a simple reply), but at other times, a beautiful looking post can captivate attention. In fact, this entire post would not have been possible without utilising BBTags!

3) How do BBTags look like?

BBTags are usually denoted with a word enclosed within brackets [The surrounding characters are brackets]. When one wants the effects to start, it begins with [noparse][Function][/noparse] and when one wants the effects to end, it ends with [noparse][Function][/noparse]

4) Can't I just use that UI at the top of every post new thread instead?

Of course you may, but some people don't even know how to use that either! Or some people are like me and prefer to type with the BBTags instead.

5) Will all message boards take this format?

More often than not, many of the codes here will work on standard message boards. However, there are some codes that will not. For example, Invision Power Boards use [align=center][/align] codes for central justification instead of VBulletin's [noparse][Function][/noparse]. Also, some BBTags may be custom made for specific boards.

6) Am I supposed to read this??????

Only if you need help with this matter. Now that I posted this, I would advise you all to stop asking me unless I have not covered it here.

One last note: use BBTags SPARINGLY. Do not overdo it or else it's all icing and no cake.

BBTag Examples

Note: Not all are covered here, but ones that are used frequently are. The formatting will look like this:

The Name Of Function and How It Will Appear

The BBTag

[icon]018[/icon]Common Text Related Examples

• Bold Letters
    [noparse][Function][/noparse]
  • Italics
  • Underline
  • StrikeThrough
  • Changing Fonts
  • Supersize Me!
  • Honey I Shrunk The Kids
  • Left Justification

• Center Justification

• Right Justification

• Indenting

• [highlight]Highlighting Text[/highlight]
  • Ooh! Pretty Colours!
    [noparse][Function][/noparse] Google[noparse][Function][/noparse]
  • Keep in mind you can activate all of these at once; just make sure you close them all up with their corresponding ending tags and you are all set

[icon]018[/icon]Enrichments

• SPOILER TAGS
    trollfacep.jpg
    Gin is a Noob
  • Unnumbered List
    The Tao Trio's Weaknesses
    • Reshiram is weak to Dragon, Ground, and Rock attacks
    • Zekrom is weak to Dragon, Ground, and Ice attacks
    • Kyurem is weak to Dragon, Fighting, Rock, and Steel attacks

[*]Numbered List

My Favourite Things

1. Raindrops on Roses
    2. Whiskers On Kittens
    3. Bright Copper Kettles
    4. Warm Woolen Mittens
    5. Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings

Keep in mind that the value 1 next to LIST= can be changed to either A or a to make the list a lettered format.

[*]Noparse

What this simply does is make any BBTags not parsed (meaning recognised). For example, you want to write a tag without it actually having its effects taking place, such as [noparse][Function][/noparse]. How do we do that?

[noparse][Function][/noparse][/noparse]

Without the noparse tag on the previous example you would end up with This is a bold letter!.

[icon]018[/icon]Add-Ons

• HYPERLINKS
    Note that if you post a link by itself with a protocol like HTTP your posted text will automatically convert into a link.
  • E-mail Link
    Similar to above; any emails or @ statements become automatically converted when posted
  • How to Quote
  • <html>
    <head>
    </head>

<body>
    <b>CodeBox</b>
    </body>

</html>

• Posting An Image
    516875.jpg
    What is done above: [noparse][Function][/noparse]
  • Posting An Image With a HyperLink
    resizedarticuno.png
    What is done above: [noparse][Function][/noparse]
    You can click on that picture and it will link to Project Pokemon's Forums
  • Inserting a Video
    [video=youtube;LBQvhKkG1x8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQvhKkG1x8
    Play these together... but start the music when speech is at 0:45
    [video=youtube;opkMyKGx7TQ]

Note: I would suggest NOT posting a lot of these tags as it will severely lag the page, making it inaccessible for most.

[icon]018[/icon]Custom BBTags in Project Pokemon

• SPRITE TAGS
    Sprite Tags will yield the Pokemon Platinum's sprites of Pokemon from 001-493. Use [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]. For Pokemon 1-99, you must use placeholder zeroes.
    [sprite]038[/sprite]
    This here is [noparse][Function][/noparse], which yields Ninetales. Notice that it is not simply [noparse][Function][/noparse] as that would not work.
  • SHINY SPRITE TAGS
    Shiny Sprite Tags will yield the shiny form of Pokemon Platinum's sprites of Pokemon from 001-493. Use [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]. For Pokemon 1-99, you must use placeholder zeroes.
    [shinysprite]038[/shinysprite]
    This here is [noparse][Function][/noparse], which yields shiny Ninetales. Notice that it is not simply [noparse][Function][/noparse] as that would not work.
  • HGSS SPRITE TAGS
    Sprite Tags will yield the Pokemon Heart Gold's and Soul Silver's sprites of Pokemon from 001-251. Use [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]. For Pokemon 1-99, you must use placeholder zeroes.
    A frequently asked question is if Pokemon above 251 can be used with this tag. The answer is yes, BUT there are some associated errors with this. First of all, the numbers don't seem to match with the resulting sprites, as placing 282 will NOT yield Gardevoir but will yield Kirlia instead. Because the sprites for Pokemon above 251 are generally the same as Pokemon Platinum's sprites, USE the SPRITE tag instead.
    Unfortunately, no Shiny HGSS Sprite tag has been implemented yet.
    [hgsssprite]038[/hgsssprite]
    This here is [noparse][Function][/noparse], which yields Ninetales from HGSS. Notice that it is not simply [noparse][Function][/noparse] as that would not work.
  • ICON
    Icon tags will yield the icons of Pokemon from 001-493. Use [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]. For Pokemon 1-99, you must use placeholder zeroes.
    [icon]038[/icon]
    This here is [noparse][Function][/noparse], which yields Ninetales's icon. Notice that it is not simply [noparse][Function][/noparse] as that would not work.
  • OVERWORLD SPRITE
    Overworld tags will yield overworld sprites of Pokemon from 001-493 in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Use [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]. For Pokemon 1-99, you must use placeholder zeroes.
    [OVRSPRITE]038[/OVRSPRITE]
    This here is [noparse][Function][/noparse], which yields Ninetales's overworld sprite. Notice that it is not simply [noparse][Function][/noparse] as that would not work.
  • SECRET: Animated Sprite
    This one is a bit buggy and as it is not listed in the UI, I was not able to discover it until Alpha posted a VM with an "epicly animated Caterpie". Animated sprites seem to work for Pokemon 1-251 properly, but it doesn't seem to work for the rest. Actually, I had it work for a few after such as Blaziken, but I'm not sure what specific number it stops at. How does it work? [highlight][noparse][Function][/noparse][/highlight]
    [animsprite]38[/animsprite]
    Hover your mouse over the Ninetales and move the cursor away and watch the Ninetales animate
    This is an odd case; placeholder zeroes will mess up. Do not use placeholder zeroes for this instance only.
  • So how do these tags work?
    These tags seem to take an image file stored in Project Pokemon's database and recalls it into BBTag mode, as the files are stored as 001.png, 002.png, 003.png, and so on, hence why specific numbers are used.
  • Are Pokemon 494-649 available via these tags?
    Unfortunately no, as PP has neglected to bring back the Pokedex page, so we have not updated it with Black/White Pokemon. Therefore, here is a temporary Pokemon Black/White Sprite Tag page, which is basically just an IMG tag with images.
  • Are the alternate formes of each Pokemon accounted for?
    It seems so. For Deoxys, try 386-1, 386-2, 386-3 for its alternate formes. The same thing can apply for Unown, Shaymin, Giratina and Rotom.
  • How about the sexual differences between Pokemon of each sex?
    Unfortunately, I don't think that has been implemented yet. Your female Hippowdon will always be shown as male unless you remote link to imageshack an image of it or something.

Any questions/corrections/additional information/etc can be posted here, and as always, thank you for reading.

Edited by wraith89