So how exactly does the Dive ball work in B/W?

zack924

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what activates it this time around. Does anyone know for sure if it reverts back the the RSE effect, where you have to be below the surface through Dive, or if it retains the DPPt effect? And could someone provide some proof from the code itself, just for confirmation?

Just for reference:

The actual description: A somewhat different Poké Ball that works especially well on Pokémon that live underwater.

Bulbapedia lists it as having the RSE effect: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9_Ball#Introduced_in_Generation_III

While Serebii claims the other effect applies or all games after RSE: http://www.serebii.net/itemdex/diveball.shtml

Only thing is I can't really say how often each of these pages are updated.

I dont think there are any underwater battles in B/W so im using them on pokes that would live underwater, fish like pokes ect, not just any water type because some wouldnt live underwater, Wingull for example, and they do seem to work. Obviously this doesnt proove anything but i have been using them myself to try and figure it out.

There aren't any underwater battles, that's the thing. I really doubt the dive ball is programmed this way since that is the case, but enough people seem to be under the impression that it does have the RSE condition regardless to make me question it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've caught 25 frillish with each type of pokeball named below, and i must say this: using a dive ball made it way easier.

needed 6 pokeballs, 2 ultra balls and 1 Dive ball, that's just the overall average some needed 2 dives, but rounded down.

Hope i could help you guys and gals!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gen III says that it works better "on the ocean floor" or "deep in the sea". Gen V says it woks better "on Pokémon that live underwater". See the difference? When surfing or fishing, you can catch Pokémon that live underwater, but that doesn't mean you catch 'em underwater.