Editing the Pokemon Overworld Sprites in HGSS/ Editing Pokemon Names

You know, like when they follow behind you. As of yet I have not heard of this being done before. Can you use CrystalTile2 for reinserting your custom sprite work?

What's the location of this narc? Lots of possibilities based on http://projectpokemon.org/wiki/HGSS_File_System ...

Also, instead of making a separate thread: is it possible to edit Pokemon names (like making the game call Forretress, "Pendra") in HGSS, even just partially?

I have all the files extracted, I'm just not sure what programs I can use to combine the sprite files and palette files into one PNG image (and back again).

PokeDSPic works for some of the images, but it's not programmed for the "following" sprites.

Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure TheNewPokeText & CrystalTile2 are what I need to use, but I can't seem to figure out how to use either for the purposes I have in mind. In fact, I've yet to get TheNewPokeTextx to work without PPRE... I must be doing something wrong, since it always just gives me an error and closes when I try to make it do anything.

Well, I found the offset for editing the HGSS pokemon overworld sprites with PokeTex. Once I edit the sprites, I should be able to track down the correct narc and replace it. One down!

Now, how do you suppose you go about changing the names of Pokemon? Any ideas? It's a pretty difficult thing to google for since I can't think of a specific way to search for it. Just googling "Pokemon name hack," for instance, doesn't turn up anything. Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever heard of someone doing this in 4th gen... 3rd gen, all the time, sure.

I could be mistaken, be he mentions changing the name of Trainers (which is possible), not Pokemon.

See, basically I was toying with the idea of putting a few of the Gen 5 Pokemon into HGSS; a fairly daunting task for someone with as meager a skill level as I.

I remember reading something about how an old version of PPRE could edit Trainer names while the new one can't.

Could it be the same for Pokemon names?

In the version we have now, we can't change either Pokemon or Trainer names.

However, since he mentions changing the name of Trainers, it could be possible that the older version allowed changing of Pokemon names, as well. I probably am wrong, but it's a possibility.

In the version we have now, we can't change either Pokemon or Trainer names.

However, since he mentions changing the name of Trainers, it could be possible that the older version allowed changing of Pokemon names, as well. I probably am wrong, but it's a possibility.

No, changing Pokemon names was never a feature of PPRE. But thank you, just the same.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...