HG/SS Sprite Positions

I've been looking into editing the HG/SS battle sprites recently and I'm perfectly able to actually change the sprites, but I've been having problems in regards to co-ordinates. While some fit, there are some problems that crop up due to the positions of the original HGSS sprites.

For example:

floaty.png

There's a lot of Pokémon that float/fly in their HGSS sprite who don't in other sprites. Unfortunately their co-ordinates are fixed to a specific point which makes it hard to actually get them not to float. Sometimes this problem can be circumvented by moving the sprites down in the image you insert into the game, but there are some cases like Altaria or DPPt Pidgeotto where there isn't enough room to move them, so either they're floating when they shouldn't be or just end up going right through the field.

shady.png

This is the other and more irritating problem. All sprites in HGSS have a shadow beneath which is usually positioned right below their feet. Unfortunately this poses a problem when trying to edit slanted sprites with straighter sprites; in the image above, the Claydol is in the right place, but the shadow is where it was on its old sprite which is in an entirely different place, making it look odd.

Oxnite asked basically the same thing here but got no response (athough in his case it's Platinum and I'm asking about HG/SS. But still, same problem).

In short, what I'm asking is:

1) Is there a way to move the co-ordinates of the Pokémon sprite?

2) Is there a way to move the co-ordinates of the shadow?

Thanks anyway :x

Apparently there's .narcs at a/1/3/5 and a/1/3/7 that are the same as "poke_shadow.narc" and "poke_shadow_ofx.narc" in the Japanese Platinum respectively. I don't have a clue what either of those do (and I have no idea what the ofx stands for) but could it be anything to do with these files? I did try decompressing a/1/3/5 with crystaltile2 but I don't have a clue where to begin even if it is the right file

• 1 month later...

I know this isn't much of a post, but I'm just adding my two cents in here: like you said, I've only been able to move the sprites in the 160x80 area to try and fix this problem. There's still a lot that needs to be researched in Gen 4, but hopefully the issue of sprite coordinates and shadows can be addressed soon.