Gen V Birthday events

AtomicGreymon

So it's November 4th, and as of yesterday all the existing Birthday events (Pikachu, Chimchar and Charmander ended). According to the official Japanese Pokemon site, they were to be replaced by a new series of Birthday events, this time with all Pokemon Centres taking part.

Just a half hour or so ago Nigoli contributed the first of these new Birthday events, the 2010 Tabunne from PC Tokyo. I haven't been able to find any information regarding whether each Pokemon Centre is giving away a different Pokemon or each is the same, but I figured I'd start this topic in the hopes that Nigoli or someone else in the know might be able to clarify the issue.

It would be interesting to compare the cards between centers and dates as there is one new hex difference we were unsure of the meaning, 0xB2. It's 0D instead of 44 (we've seen 44 on all cards until this one).

This could be the identifier for:

which distribution type it was (locked on DS date), instead of freely downloadable

or

which distribution machine type it came from (pokecenter ID, or generic machine)

It might have something to do with IR or GBA Connectivity for the Card Download, just as a way to distinguish if you got the Event by those methods.

More likely it has something to do with the Card Description text. There's two sets of descriptions for each PokeCenter in the game to display. And I don't mean that Child / Adult language setting.

More likely it has something to do with the Card Description text.

I think it's this.

The description on these cards is different than the other ones we've seen so far. And didn't we all think that the description was uneditable? It could be that there's just a set number of defaults, perhaps.

Previous cards have said "Thanks for playing Pokemon..."

This one says "Thanks for coming to the Tokyo Pokemon Center..."

Confirming it is just a location change, based on where the card was downloaded from (event).

0xB2 values and their resulting card:

0xB2%20Values.png

So far... all the hexes

00 Default (Generic)

01 Movie 2010

02 Movie 2011

03 Movie 2012

04 Movie 2013

05 Movie 2014

06 Movie 2015

07 Movie 2016

08 Movie 2017

09 Movie 2018

0A Movie 2019

0B Movie 2020

0C XXX Pokemon Center

0D Tokyo Pokemon Center

0E Osaka Pokemon Center

0F XXX Pokemon Center

10 XXX Pokemon Center

11 XXX Pokemon Center

12 XXX Pokemon Center

moar pokecenters

moar stuff

44 Generic

Edited by Kaphotics

Will do, I'll post new screens in 30 minutes of around 12 different hexes than what's known.

Card Hexes I checked:

1 - 00 - Same as 44 (Default) As predicted

2 - 01 - Movie 2010 As Predicted

3 - 02 - Movie 2011 As Predicted

4 - 04 - Movie 2013 As Predicted

5 - 06 - Movie 2015 As Predicted

6 - 09 - Movie 2018 As Predicted

7 - 0C - XXX Pokemon Center

8 - 0E - XXX Pokemon Center

9 - 0F - XXX Pokemon Center

10- 10 - XXX Pokemon Center

11- 11 - XXX Pokemon Center

12- 12 - XXX Pokemon Center

00%2C%2001%2C%2002%2C%2004%2C%2006%2C%2009%2C%200C%2C%200E%2C%200F%2C%2010%2C%2011%2C%2012%20cards.png

These are all edited cards with just the 0xB2 edited, with different values than the first picture (to kinda map them out).

Card - 0xB2

1 - 00 - Same as 44 (Default) As predicted

2 - 01 - Movie 2010 As Predicted

3 - 02 - Movie 2011 As Predicted

4 - 04 - Movie 2013 As Predicted

5 - 06 - Movie 2015 As Predicted

6 - 09 - Movie 2018 As Predicted

7 - 0C - XXX Pokemon Center

8 - 0E - XXX Pokemon Center

9 - 0F - XXX Pokemon Center

10- 10 - XXX Pokemon Center

11- 11 - XXX Pokemon Center

12- 12 - XXX Pokemon Center

I'm guessing the card description leads into/is after the location based on 0xB2, and the actual Movie cards would have their own lead in text because of different movie names (the rise of darkrai etc)

Yep, we used to think that all cards would look the same, some of these cards we have yet to see may be like:

0x60-0x7F Card Title

0x80-0xA9 Padding - No more Card Descriptions - Depends on Card Title Length

The cards have 01 FF 01 after the text for the exclamations, and then FF FF, so there's no extra data. Changing the "padding" to all exclamations is a super long card title with no difference in the card description.

Unless there is some character that acts as a line break to insert text into the card description, no movie names. :(