Honey Tree

From Project Pokemon Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is incomplete.
Please feel free to add missing information and complete the article.

Game Mechanics

Once honey is placed on a honey tree and at least 6 hours have passed, a Pokémon will appear on the tree. If a tree is left unchecked for 24 hours, both the honey and the Pokémon will be gone.

The location of the honey tree does not affect which Pokémon will appear. The amount of Honey applied and the amount of time passed before checking a tree will also not affect the resulting Pokémon.

Saving the game, resetting, and re-checking a tree after a Pokémon has appeared will not change the Pokémon, but its level, gender, nature, IVs, and other random values will change. This is helpful for finding a male or female Burmy, which will have different evolutions depending on their gender, or Combee, which only evolves if female.

Locations

  1. South Route 205
  2. North Route 205
  3. Route 206
  4. Route 207
  5. Route 208
  6. Route 209
  7. South Route 210
  8. North Route 210
  9. Route 211
  10. Northwest Route 212
  11. Southeast Route 212
  12. Route 213
  13. Route 214
  14. Route 215
  15. Route 218
  16. Route 221
  17. Route 222
  18. Valley Windworks
  19. Southeast Eterna Forest
  20. Fuego Ironworks
  21. Floaroma Meadow

Pokémon Encountered

Slathering a different tree

Slathering the same tree

Group 1

Group 2

Munchlax

Technical References

Save File

Each of the 21 Honey trees throughout the game occupy 8 bytes in the save file starting from 0x72E4.

0000000000000000

The red value represents the countdown timer of playing time. This value starts at 1440 minutes and when it reaches 1080 minutes, the Pokémon will be on the tree. Once the countdown timer gets to 0, the player must put more honey on the tree and time has expired. The counter decreases by 1 every minute while playing the game.

The pink value represents the row from which the Pokémon will appear.

The blue value represents the column from which Pokémon will appear.

The green value determines the blue value. This value is referred to as X for purposes of representation in calculations.

The yellow value represents how much the tree will shake when the Pokémon is on it.

Determining the values

The Pokémon is determined by calling the game's pseudo-random number generator if the same tree was slathered, for X, the column, the row, and the shake value. If the same tree is slathered in a row, there is a 10% chance that a random column will be chosen and a 90% chance that the same column will be used.

The lowest 16-bit of the pseudo-random numbers generated are manipulated into a number between 0 and 99 using the following formula:

Let R be the pseudo-random number from 0 to 65535
E = ( R / 656 ) % 656

The game uses two lists to determine which Pokémon will appear on the tree, one for trees which may have a Munchlax, and another list for rees that will not. 4 out of the 21 trees will have a 1% possibility of encountering a Munchlax. Trees that may have a Munchlax is determined by the player's trainer information.

If a different tree is slathered than the previous and the new tree will not have a Munchlax then a random column is chosen from E. If the random number is between 0 and 10, the tree will not attract any Pokémon. If the number is between 11 and 30, X is set to 1. If the number is between 31 and 100, X is set to 2.

If a different tree is slathered than the previous and the new tree may have a Munchlax then a random column is chosen from E. If the random number is 1, X is set to 3. If the number is between 2 and 10, the tree will not attract any Pokémon. If the number is between 11 and 30, X is set to 1. If the number is between 31 and 100, X is set to 2.

The column is set by subtracting 1 from X where the value of X can be the following, as described above:

  • 0 - No Pokémon will be encountered
  • 1 - Column 0 Pokémon
  • 2 - Column 1 Pokémon
  • 3 - Column 2 Pokémon (Munchlax)


For the row, if the number is between 0 and 5, Pokémon 6 is used. If the number is between 6 and 10, Pokémon 5 is used. If the number is between 11 and 20, Pokémon 4 is used. If the number is between 21 and 40, Pokémon 3 is used. If the number is between 41 and 60, Pokémon 2 is used. If the number is between 61 and 100, Pokémon 1 is used. This is only determined when column 1 or 2 are chosen.

The chance of finding a Pokémon when a different tree is slathered can be calculated using the following formula:

Let P be the Pokémon to calculate.
Let C be the frequency of the column as listed in the encounter table.
Let R be the frequency of the Pokémon as listed in the encounter table.
Let EP be the chance to find the Pokémon.

Ep = ( C1 * R1,P ) + ( C2 * R2,P ) + ( A3 * R3,P )

Example: Find the encounter rate of Burmy, in Diamond/Pearl.

  • Burmy is on column 1, row 4 with a chance of 20% and column 2, row 2 with a chance of 5%.
  • The chance of choosing column 1 is 20%, column 2 is 70%.
EP = ( 0.20 * 0.20 ) + ( 0.70 * 0.05 )
EP = 7.5%

The chance of finding a Pokémon when the same tree is slathered more than once in a row can be calculated using the following formula:

Let P be the Pokémon to calculate.
Let C be the column from the previous Pokémon encountered.
Let R be the chance to find the Pokémon for column C as listed in the encounter table.
Let T be the base chance to find the Pokémon as listed under the section Slathering a tree.
Let EP be the chance to find the Pokémon.

EP = ( 0.90 * R ) + ( 0.10 * T )

Example: Find the encounter rate of Aipom, in Platinum, where the previous Pokémon encountered was Heracross, for a tree which will not have a chance of encountering a Munchlax.

  • Encountering Heracross indicates that the Honey Tree previously used column 2.
  • Aipom is on rows 4 and 5 on column 2, with a total chance of 40%.
  • The base chance to find Aipom in Platinum is 34%.
EP = ( 0.90 * 0.40 ) + ( 0.10 * 0.40 )
EP = 40.0%

The shake value is determined by another pseudo-random number between 0 and 99 using the same formula.

If X is 1 and the number is between 0 and 19, the shake value is 2. If the number is between 20 and 78, the shake value is 1. If the number is between 79 and 98, the shake value is 0. If the number is 99, the shake value is 3.
If X is 2 and the number is between 0 and 74, the shake value is 2. If the number is between 75 and 94, the shake value is 1. If the number is 95, the shake value is 0. If the number is between 96 and 99, the shake value is 3.
If X is 3 (Munchlax) and the number is between 0 and 4, the shake value is 2. If the number is 5, the shake value is 1. If the number is 6, the shake value is 0. If the number is between 7 and 99, the shake value is 3.

Encounter table

  • There is a 10% chance of not encountering any Pokémon for trees which do not have Munchlax.
  • There is a 1% chance of encountering a Munchlax, and 9% chance of not encountering any Pokémon for trees which may have a Munchlax.
Diamond/Pearl Platinum
Freq. Col 1 (20%) Col 2 (70%) Col 3 (1%) Col 1 (20%) Col 2 (70%) Col 3 (1%)
Pokémon 1 (5%) Wurmple Combee Munchlax Combee Burmy Munchlax
Pokémon 2 (5%) Silcoon/Cascoon Burmy Munchlax Wurmple Cherubi Munchlax
Pokémon 3 (10%) Combee Cherubi Munchlax Burmy Combee Munchlax
Pokemon 4 (20%) Burmy Aipom Munchlax Cherubi Aipom Munchlax
Pokemon 5 (20%) Cherubi Heracross Munchlax Aipom Aipom Munchlax
Pokemon 6 (40%) Aipom Wurmple Munchlax Aipom Heracross Munchlax