Is it possible to transfer CFW saves to OFW?

It's been a while. I just noticed that a modded Switch's OFW and CFW are considered as two different consoles, so two savefiles can be used. A pal of mine started a brand new game on S/V with all items (no piracy anywhere on his console), however he doesn't feel like booting CFW every time he wants to play this save file. He simply want to transfer that save on the OFW section of his console. Is it possible to do that? I saw a thread that looked like a solution, but we couldn't figure out how it worked, or if it was the same problem as my friend have. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, TokoyamiTheDark said:

It's been a while. I just noticed that a modded Switch's OFW and CFW are considered as two different consoles, so two savefiles can be used. A pal of mine started a brand new game on S/V with all items (no piracy anywhere on his console), however he doesn't feel like booting CFW every time he wants to play this save file. He simply want to transfer that save on the OFW section of his console. Is it possible to do that? I saw a thread that looked like a solution, but we couldn't figure out how it worked, or if it was the same problem as my friend have. Thanks again!

Is he using Emunand? That sounds an issue with using Emunand. Just boot CFW into SysMMC and restore the save there.

1 hour ago, theSLAYER said:

Is he using Emunand? That sounds an issue with using Emunand. Just boot CFW into SysMMC and restore the save there.

Actually, he uses both Emunand and SysMMC. However, our attenpts to restore the saves was a failure... here's what he did:

- Create a brand new game on Let's Go Eevee (just an example) on his OFW then saved and shut down his Switch.

- Booted into Hekate and launched the SysMMC mode.

- Entered Homebrew menu by pressing R while loading his LGE cart, then opened JKSV.

- Restored his EDITED save file with JKSV. Closed JKSV, then rebooted to Hekate.

- Booted on OFW, hoping that his save would be transfered... FAILURE. 

...We did the same steps with Emunand, same results. What is he doing wrong?

CFW SysMMC and OFW are the very same partition. If you edit stuff/restore stuff on CFW SysMMC, that editings will be present on OFW too, as they're the same partition.

What you have to do is:

- Back up the save file from the partition you have it (I assume this is emunand) with JKSV.

- Restore the save file in the partition you don't have it (I assume this is SysMMC) with JKSV.

If this doesn't work either you're misusing the tools, or you have some kind of wrong setup with the nand partitions/hekate boot launch options.

Before proceeding, ensure to check whether CFW SysMMC and CFW EmuNand have different save files.

Before backing up the save file from the EmuNand, run the game from that partition and ensure that you have your complete save file here.

Before restoring the save file on SysMMC, run the game and ensure you don't have your save file here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SkyLink98 said:

CFW SysMMC and OFW are the very same partition. If you edit stuff/restore stuff on CFW SysMMC, that editings will be present on OFW too, as they're the same partition.

What you have to do is:

- Back up the save file from the partition you have it (I assume this is emunand) with JKSV.

- Restore the save file in the partition you don't have it (I assume this is SysMMC) with JKSV.

If this doesn't work either you're misusing the tools, or you have some kind of wrong setup with the nand partitions/hekate boot launch options.

Before proceeding, ensure to check whether CFW SysMMC and CFW EmuNand have different save files.

Before backing up the save file from the EmuNand, run the game from that partition and ensure that you have your complete save file here.

Before restoring the save file on SysMMC, run the game and ensure you don't have your save file here.

Sadly, it is not working at all... perhaps it is his Hekate booting file that has the wrong options? My friend haven't updated it in ages. Where can we find a working code to copy/paste into his .ini file that boots either CFW SysNand, CFW EmuNand and OFR SysNand?

These pages should contains all what is required to update the setup and the config files

https://switch.hacks.guide/extras/updating/

https://switch.hacks.guide/extras/alternate_bootsetups/

Out of curiosity, what system version do you happen to have when you boot in EmuNand vs when you boot in SysMMC? You can see the system version in the console's System Settings.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, SkyLink98 said:

These pages should contains all what is required to update the setup and the config files

https://switch.hacks.guide/extras/updating/

https://switch.hacks.guide/extras/alternate_bootsetups/

Out of curiosity, what system version do you happen to have when you boot in EmuNand vs when you boot in SysMMC? You can see the system version in the console's System Settings.

Turns out EmuNand wasn't updated like SysNand, and the .ini file was too old. Save file transfer now perfectly works! Thank you guys! :D

• 1 month later...

What I did for D2R last week (Aug 2024) and have seen zero issues so far:

-Transferred my unmodded OLED game save to an older chip modded switch.

-Used JKSV to make a backup of that game save and transferred that to PC.

-Edited that game save through https://d2runewizard.com/hero-editor then saved back into the JKSV folder.

-On the modded switch, loaded into Atmosphere(CFW SYSAND) and 'restored' the modified game save through JKSV.

-Opened D2R to make sure the edited gear was present and uploaded that to the cloud (free week trial for the first time, otherwise it's only a few dollars for the month.)

-Logged into OLED and downloaded the fresh cloud save.

-Played D2R to verify edited gear was present and cancelled subscription.