Pokemon Gold Dump

Wheeler

36 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

So I am trying to dump this save file onto my Japanese gold version but it isn't happening, also saw the save is 1kb over the standard save size so not sure if something has gone wrong. Any ideas?

Pokemon Gold.sav 32.05 kB · 1 download

I think RTC information got dumped with the save.
image.png

Trimming the save allows it to be used with PKHeX
image.png

Pokemon Gold.sav

Just now, Wheeler said:

sorry i am noob at this stuff, what do i have to do to make it dump correctly?

it dumped correctly.

it's just that there's extra data at the end of the save (as per the image I showed).

In this case, open the save in HxD (or any other hex editing program), delete data from 0x8000 onwards (the highlighted portion in the image).

You could also just download the sav file I attached.

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

it dumped correctly.

it's just that there's extra data at the end of the save (as per the image I showed).

In this case, open the save in HxD (or any other hex editing program), delete data from 0x8000 onwards (the highlighted portion in the image).

You could also just download the sav file I attached.

ah thats weird im dumping the save you provided onto the cart and still saying new game. im using joey jr is this the problem?

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

ah thats weird im dumping the save you provided onto the cart and still saying new game. im using joey jr is this the problem?

You mean restoring. Dumping is the act of grabbing data. You’re restoring data into the cart. 

I reckon you’re gonna have to write back the extra strings of data before you can send it back to your cart.

6 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

You mean restoring. Dumping is the act of grabbing data. You’re restoring data into the cart. 

I reckon you’re gonna have to write back the extra strings of data before you can send it back to your cart.

what like catching pokemon and things like that?

22 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

No as in, if you removed the data by deleting it in a hex editor, write those lines of data back also using a hex editor.

Besides manually doing that, there’s also probably converters online that would do it for you. Look for it.

yeah im pretty clueless when it comes to hex editors. erm what converter should i be looking for?

As far as I can tell, you got a save from somewhere (not your own) and you're trying to write it onto a cart. The format your cart reader uses might not match either the one you got or the one @theSLAYER provided when he fixed the file so it could open in PKHeX. Try playing the game for a bit, saving, confirming it's working (so we know it's not a dead battery, for example) then dumping the save file and sending us the dump. We can then compare it to that save and see if something's wrong

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

As far as I can tell, you got a save from somewhere (not your own) and you're trying to write it onto a cart. The format your cart reader uses might not match either the one you got or the one @theSLAYER provided when he fixed the file so it could open in PKHeX. Try playing the game for a bit, saving, confirming it's working (so we know it's not a dead battery, for example) then dumping the save file and sending us the dump. We can then compare it to that save and see if something's wrong

so this is my own save file, i played from the start on vba emulator. the original file i could open in pkhex

On 4/16/2023 at 10:06 PM, Wheeler said:

I think i have a dead battery in my main cart. so just started a brand new save and dumped it and it wont work in pkhex so must be a dead battery. thanks for the help guys!

That just means it's an incompatible format. If you can save, turn your game completely off and then resume your save, then your battery is not dead.