Hello to everyone.

I hope this is the right section to post.

I'll try to make the long story short.

First of all, apparently I own a bootleg copy of Pokémon Emerald.

Recently I've been playing with it on my DS Lite and I also wanted to import my save file on a emulator in order to get the events tickets and so on, but after several tries I've seen that I couldn't do that because I do not own a legit copy of Pokémon Emerald. (I have used GBA Tool)

I came across all the issues the members have had.

So I've been trying to edit my save file, but it seems impossible. I have also read the topics here and I have tired myself using different tools, but as far as I could understand I will never be able to export the save file, and then inject it back on my physical copy of Pokémon Emerald, is that right?

I read that by using the tool from here, I can extract the file, but I will never be able to actually ''modify'' the file on the ROM (I have extracted the ROM with GBA Tools).

Correct me if I'm wrong, since english is not my mother language and I might did not understand properly, so I might be wrong, also I really cannot use properly any Hex editor tho.

You’ll need to own hardware to be able to restore ROMs to your cart. Without that, even if you manage to edit the save and return it to the ‘ROM’, you won’t be able to return that modified ROM + SAV into your cart.

since you’re using GBA Tools, I don’t think it’ll work; I don’t recall it have a ROM editing/restoration function.

So it seems that I have understood properly.

Thats sad, but at least I know that it cannot be done.

Could you please make me an example of which kind of hardware is needed?

Also, since I can get the save file from the ROM, will I be able to use that file in a Emulator and/or in a legit game?

So far I've just tried with PKHeX and I saw that I could actually read the file. (Will I need to rename the save file eventually after the game where I want to play, I mean does the save file name need to match with the ROM name?)

25 minutes ago, Branded_James said:

Could you please make me an example of which kind of hardware is needed?

I don’t own one myself but if I’m not mistaken it’s GB Operator.

Also, since I can get the save file from the ROM, will I be able to use that file in a Emulator and/or in a legit game?

As long as used properly, yes. The save *should* be indistinguishable from one generated by a retail cart (unless there’s extra details that I didn’t know about)

I mean does the save file name need to match with the ROM name?

Usually yes. However shouldn’t matter cause most emulators has a menu item that allows you to import other saves, even ones that aren’t named correctly.