Edit Gen 1 Encounter Type

eco9898

Is there a way to edit gen 1 pokemon encounter types.

For example, change a beedrill that was caught as a kakuna to be marked as a caught as a weedle. This would then allow it to learn poison sting and string shot. Also, changing the encountered location would be required for most instances of this kind of edit.

Alternatively, marking a pokemon as a static encounter or a traded pokemon.

I've done similar things with PkHex in newer generations, but it doesnt appear to support this in gen 1.

I've played through pokemon yellow and wanted to complete the dex without playing through red and blue. So I wanted to create the pokemon I can't get in yellow and mark them as traded. It's a part of creating a living dex so these pokemon will be traded up through the generations to pokemon home and I want them to appear authentic in case any new security checks come in that verify this kind of thing.

Edited by eco9898
Added clarification

Met information didn't exist in Gen 1, the game doesn't store that kind of information anywhere.

If you catch a Weedle it will come with Poison String and String Shot. Beedrill will still know them if you didn't let him forget them, however it will never learn these two moves on it's own, no matter if it was initially obtained as Weedle or Kakuna.

Prior to Gen 6 information about the previous handlers were not stored as well. For a Pokemon to appear as traded it just needs an OT/ID that's different from yours.

Prior to Gen 6 information about the previous handlers were not stored as well. For a Pokemon to appear as traded it just needs an OT/ID that's different from yours.

And to add on, specifically for Gen 1 <-> Gen 2 trading, the Catch Rate may need to change.

When trading from Gen 1 -> Gen 2, the Catch Rate data slot is usurped and used for Held Items.
That is how some mons caught in Gen 1 come with Held Items. The game just converts the value in that datapoint to an held item.
However, it is important to note some values in that slot don't correspond to a working item, so that game takes that into account and changes the value in that slot.
So if such a mon was then traded back from Gen 2 -> Gen 1, the modified value is kept.

TL;DR: For certain Gen 1 mons, if their catch rate is unchanged, it implies it was never traded to Gen 2.

Read more here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_wild_held_item_(Generation_II)#Generation_I_held_items

Thank you for clarifying this. I noticed it as a field in pkhex when hovering the cursor over the pokemon. That's where the beedrill example came from, pkhex was marking my beedrill as invalid when I tried to give it those weedle moves as it didn't register passing through the weedle line. I guess it's safe to ignore that value then. Maybe pkhex just takes a guess as how it was encountered for legalisation purposes.

4 minutes ago, eco9898 said:

Thank you for clarifying this. I noticed it as a field in pkhex when hovering the cursor over the pokemon. That's where the beedrill example came from, pkhex was marking my beedrill as invalid when I tried to give it those weedle moves as it didn't register passing through the weedle line. I guess it's safe to ignore that value then. Maybe pkhex just takes a guess as how it was encountered for legalisation purposes.

mind attaching said beedrill?

When I reimport the invalid beedrill it still marks it as invalid, so it isn't something it automatically does when imported? Attached is the weedle based one I ended up using and the kakuna based one I had previously tried to add the attacks to, along with a copy of him after I added the attacks. I've also noticed, the beedrill I added the attacks to, its encounter location/type changed from route 24 as a kakuna to the viridian forest as a kakuna.

015 - original - 40CC.pk1 015 - weedleBase - 7C5C.pk1 015 - invalid - E05A.pk1

Edited by eco9898

14 minutes ago, eco9898 said:

When I reimport the invalid beedrill it still marks it as invalid, so it isn't something it automatically does when imported? Attached is the weedle based one I ended up using and the kakuna based one I had previously tried to add the attacks to, along with a copy of him after I added the attacks. I've also noticed, the beedrill I added the attacks to, its encounter location/type changed from route 24 as a kakuna to the viridian forest as a kakuna.

015 - original - 40CC.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads 015 - weedleBase - 7C5C.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads 015 - invalid - E05A.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads

Based on what you want, the catch rate on your "invalid" file is wrong.

Weedle and Kakuna have different catch rates.

As I said with my earlier example, specific to Gen 1 mons, PKHeX can determine (or guess) the encounter based on catch rate.

In your case, specific to this example, with these values applying to untraded to Gen 2 mons:
Catch rate 255 -> Caught as Weedle
Catch rate 120 -> Caught as Kakuna.

No way a Beedrill would have Weedle's moves if it is caught as a Kakuna.

So while the game doesn't store met location, it does store the catch rate, which could be used to determine what the mon was when it was caught.
Catch rate stored on the mon doesn't change unless you trade it to Gen 2.

• Like 1