Jump to content

3DS Emulation and Game Save Files


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

My Capture Card 3DS as recently started to give me trouble, shutting down out of nowhere.

It seems that I might be unable to play my Pokémon games on the big screen, now that I don't even have the option to buy another modded 3DS.

One of the solutions I thought was using CITRA emulator, and since I have a CFW 3DS I think I might be able to transfer my Save Files from the Retail Carts to Citra and from Citra do the Retail Carts.

 

That being said, this is the real question. Would using JK File Manager for the 3DS to "move" my save files from Emulator to retail and vice-versa affect my Save File and/or Pokémon in any way? (No editing tools would be used on the save file, the only 3rd party software used would be the file manager)

 

I do intend to transfer the Pokémon trained in these files to Pokémon Home eventually.

 

I know this can be seen as a Legit/Legal situation, but I really just want to know If the Save File and Pokémon would be identical as If I never used the Emulator to play the game.

 

I appreciate the help, and I apologize If I am posting this in the wrong place.

 

Thanks you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kapuxa_Blaziken said:

That being said, this is the real question. Would using JK File Manager for the 3DS to "move" my save files from Emulator to retail and vice-versa affect my Save File and/or Pokémon in any way? (No editing tools would be used on the save file, the only 3rd party software used would be the file manager)

No, it won't.

8 minutes ago, Kapuxa_Blaziken said:

One of the solutions I thought was using CITRA emulator, and since I have a CFW 3DS I think I might be able to transfer my Save Files from the Retail Carts to Citra and from Citra do the Retail Carts.

Unless if you have a really really good PC, CITRA might experience frame drops and other issues.

Even then, you could get locked out during story related progression. I won't recommend it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, theSLAYER said:

No, it won't.

Unless if you have a really really good PC, CITRA might experience frame drops and other issues.

Even then, you could get locked out during story related progression. I won't recommend it.

I figured as much, but I have seen some footage and thought it could work reasonably well. I just wish GameFreak and Nintendo themselfs would realease a way for us to play DS/3DS Pokémon Games on the TV officially.

 

Anyway, I appreciate the help. Since nothing changes in my save files, it's nice to know it might at least be one of the options.

 

I might even try Wii U's VC injector for the 4rth and 5th Generation Games.

 

Thank you.

 

I had some time to test CITRA this weekend, and it seems XY and ORAS will be somewhat doable!

 

That being said, a doubt came up, and I hope I can get some help enlightening it. Basically, I would like to know if Pokémon created by an emulator are identical to the real thing?

 

Regarding my plans in CITRA:

 

- 3DS System Settings set to imitate one of my multiple 3DS Systems (I could not set a Sub Region, but I checked and I did have systems with Sub Region and Systems that did not, as I did not pay much attention to this, so I guess it is not an issue?);

- The CIA file I use will be extracted from the original game carts I use to replay the games;

- The Save File I intend to use in CITRA will be started in the retail carts.

 

As I intend to send Pokémon "created" while playing in the emulator to Pokémon Home eventually, I'd really like to be 100% sure they will be identical to retail (basically the emulator would be if I just inserted the cart and played on another system, wich would not be different from what I actually do, since I do have multiple 3DSs).

 

I appreciate the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kapuxa_Blaziken said:

Basically, I would like to know if Pokémon created by an emulator are identical to the real thing?

Some emulators have deficiencies regarding completely emulating RNG calls (which in Gen 3 and 4, resulting in the PID, IVs, Nature, Gender being called in succession, thus with those details, you could reverse search whether the encounter is legal), however as far as I know those details are sufficiently random in Gen 6 and 7.

So all I can say is:
Until a sudden new breakthrough regarding successive RNG calls in stats for Gen 6 and 7 is made, the presently known info is that they are sufficiently random, thus even if an emulator cannot 100% replicate it, people cannot tell the difference.
Identification of such mons are subject to change tho, i.e. the sudden breakthrough example I listed at the start.

 

If you cannot sit in such a grey area, then don't play your games on emu, but do it on retail hardware instead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Some emulators have deficiencies regarding completely emulating RNG calls (which in Gen 3 and 4, resulting in the PID, IVs, Nature, Gender being called in succession, thus with those details, you could reverse search whether the encounter is legal), however as far as I know those details are sufficiently random in Gen 6 and 7.

So all I can say is:
Until a sudden new breakthrough regarding successive RNG calls in stats for Gen 6 and 7 is made, the presently known info is that they are sufficiently random, thus even if an emulator cannot 100% replicate it, people cannot tell the difference.
Identification of such mons are subject to change tho, i.e. the sudden breakthrough example I listed at the start.

 

If you cannot sit in such a grey area, then don't play your games on emu, but do it on retail hardware instead.

Humm, bummer =/.

 

Really is a grey area I do not want to risk.

 

Thank you very much.

 

Btw, using a CFW 3DS is fine, right?

 

My Capture Board 3DS does have CFW and that is pretty much the only console I use when replaying the games's story.

 

I also use my New 3DS to shiny hunt (because of the form factor, as in smaller and more comfortable to hold while I watch a movie or something), and that also as CFW.

 

The funny thing is, I only installed CFW so I could get a better experience while playing on the TV. Snickerstream and a wireless controller, but all had some very strong cons that made it a useless effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...