Anyone used NDS Backup Tool 3in1?

Poryhack

Probably a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone here has used NDS Backup Tool 3in1 (not the wifi or slot-2 versions) to backup a ROM or save. I ask because I can get to the point where the DS has to be powered off and back on, but after that I can't seem to figure out what needs to be done (or maybe something is going wrong). I've tried booting the app again, as I'm pretty sure you're supposed to, but I'm not prompted or getting and option to copy from the 3in1 to the microSD.

When you open the NDS Backup Tool 3in1, you have to press R twice to get to ROM backup.

Then you press B to create a new ROM file.

The tool should erase the NOR in your 3in1 cartridge, then replace it with 32 MB of the current rom.

That's what you've been doing, right?

What happens to you is that it doesn't retrieve the 32MB of rom data from the 3in1.

You should be aware that there are three types of 3in1 cartridges.

There is the original 3in1, identified as 3in1 by GBA_Exploader.

There is the new 3in1, identified as New3in1 by the exploader.

However, there is also the 3in1+, wich is relatively new if I remember correctly. Identified as 3in1Pls by exploader.

The later version isn't compatible with the regular version of the NDS_Backup_Tool_3in1.

You should use the NDS_Backup_Tool_3in1+, wich I happen to have...

↓ Right there↓

Yeah that's what happens, but I'm not using a newer 3in1 (Ive actually got the full-size model, which is equivalent to the oldest DSL one AFAIK).

Since posting this thread somebody on GBAtemp gave me a good suggestion; seems likely that I'm suffering from the infamous dead battery. I'll be getting a new one tomorrow and hopefully that'll do the trick.

Yeah that's what happens, but I'm not using a newer 3in1 (Ive actually got the full-size model, which is equivalent to the oldest DSL one AFAIK).

Since posting this thread somebody on GBAtemp gave me a good suggestion; seems likely that I'm suffering from the infamous dead battery. I'll be getting a new one tomorrow and hopefully that'll do the trick.

If you are doing a ROM backup, the battery shouldn't affect the result in any way.

In fact, if you are backing up a save, it shouldn't be affected either.

Only save restores could be affected, but I think that the save is loaded into PSRAM, not SRAM.

I was informed that it's affected because Rudolph uses the RAM to store something that says the equivalent of "Hey, there's a save/ROM in the NOR that needs to be written to the microSD!" so his program knows to prompt on next load. I wasn't getting that prompt.

I always thought it was in the config file.

Now I know. (And might experiment with it. Mwahahahahah...)

• 1 month later...