Question about a legal PKMN file in PKHeX database

Reapus

Looking through my PKMN database in PKHeX, I came across what seems to be a legal Mr. Mime file from Pokemon Red version. I tried searching google for the origin of this file and have found nothing. The original trainer is ASH and the Trainer ID is 31121. I am only familiar with Mr. Mime trades in R/B/Y from an NPC with the OT name TRAINER and a nicknamed Mr. Mime called MILES or MARCEL.

Attached to this post is the legal Mr. Mime file mentioned.

Mime Test.pk8

It's a long shot, but it's technically possible to have this Mr. Mime. You need to catch/breed it in a Gen 2 game with the OT ASH and ID 31121, nickname it something that will trigger the in-game Gen 7/8 censored words blacklist, trade it to a Red Version game through the Time Capsule, train it up to Lv. 50, then make it go through Poké Transporter. 

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although legal, it's most likely hacked, though. While it's entirely possible that it was Rare Candied to exactly Lv. 50, and a Gen 2 tradeback is most certainly possible as well, I highly doubt anyone would have nicknamed it a bad word just to get the standard species name in Transporter. Unnicknamed Mr. Mime are, along with Farfetch'd, victims of a programming quirk that recognizes their default names in English Gen 1/2 as nicknames, and so they are rendered as MR-MIME or FARFETCH D on transfer, whereas this Mr. Mime is, well, "Mr. Mime". The only way to get these from the VC games with their default names is by triggering the censor. The same happens frequently in French names that were rendered without diacritics or ligatures in earlier games and now have them. Also, OT names are usually all caps in Gen 1/2, I doubt someone went out of their way to use "Ash", which is this Pokémon's OT, and not "ASH".

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

Although legal, it's most likely hacked, though. While it's entirely possible that it was Rare Candied to exactly Lv. 50, and a Gen 2 tradeback is most certainly possible as well, I highly doubt anyone would have nicknamed it a bad word just to get the standard species name in Transporter. Unnicknamed Mr. Mime are, along with Farfetch'd, victims of a programming quirk that recognizes their default names in English Gen 1/2 as nicknames, and so they are rendered as MR-MIME or FARFETCH D on transfer, whereas this Mr. Mime is, well, "Mr. Mime". The only way to get these from the VC games with their default names is by triggering the censor. The same happens frequently in French names that were rendered without diacritics or ligatures in earlier games and now have them. Also, OT names are usually all caps in Gen 1/2, I doubt someone went out of their way to use "Ash", which is this Pokémon's OT, and not "ASH".

So, I'm a bit confused. Is the Mr. Mime legitimate or a glitch or hack that bypassed Pokemon Bank and Home checks? I ask this because you mentioned generation 1 and 2 original trainer names are all in capital letters. This Mr. Mime OT is not in all caps. Does a generation 1 or 2 Pokemon when transferred into Pokemon Home have the OT in all capital letters, or not? Did someone edit their OT? I'm certain I've seen OT's in R/B/Y with lowercase letters. Did I misunderstand your post?

Edited by Reapus

12 minutes ago, Reapus said:

So, I'm a bit confused. Is the Mr. Mime legitimate or a glitch or hack that bypassed Pokemon Bank and Home checks? I ask this because you mentioned generation 1 and 2 original trainer names are all in capital letters. This Mr. Mime OT is not in all caps. Does a generation 1 or 2 Pokemon when transferred into Pokemon Home have the OT in all capital letters, or not? Did someone edit their OT? I'm certain I've seen OT's in R/B/Y with lowercase letters. Did I misunderstand your post?

That Mr. Mime is definitely legal (that is, entirely within the limits of what is legitimately possible). However, in order for it to be entirely legitimate (that is, not modified at all, obtained entirely through normal gameplay), a chain of unlikely (but still possible) things would have had to happen:

1. Someone playing a Gen 2 game with the OT "Ash" (unlikely because people usually use all caps in those games) and ID 31121 (just as likely as any other ID, just the case at hand)
  2. "Ash" catches or breeds a Mr. Mime and nicknames it a censored word (unlikely unless it's on purpose)
  3. They train it up to Lv. 50
  4. They trade it to a Red Version (why would they?)
  5. They Transport it into Bank from said Red Version

The lowercase OT and the censored word nickname, while possible, are extremely unlikely, especially the latter. So, while that Pokémon is entirely possible (and, as such, legal), it's too "unlikely", so I would suspect a legal hack.

Question: it has no HOME tracker. Did you zero it out yourself?

• Like 2

No, it does not have a HOME tracker and did not have a HOME tracker. I simply asked about whether it would show up in Home as ASH, rather than Ash because of what you mentioned about the unlikeliness of someone using lower cap letters on a TID in generation 1 and/or 2. So, that was merely my curiosity on what data is changed when transferred.

8 hours ago, Reapus said:

No, it does not have a HOME tracker and did not have a HOME tracker. I simply asked about whether it would show up in Home as ASH, rather than Ash because of what you mentioned about the unlikeliness of someone using lower cap letters on a TID in generation 1 and/or 2. So, that was merely my curiosity on what data is changed when transferred.

OT names aren't changed by Bank/HOME at all. Pokémon names are changed only if the name is recognized as the species name in all caps (for example: PIKACHU gets changed to Pikachu, but PIKADUDE remains PIKADUDE).

EDIT: I mentioned the HOME tracker because that's a telltale mark that it was at least hacked into Gen 8 (it's impossible for a previous Gen Pokémon to reach Gen 8 without a HOME tracker).

Edited by Shady Guy Jose