Restoring save with checkpoint doesn't work???

vree

So yeah I got the savefile from here: https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/2326-project-807153542-multi-gen-saves-with-every-legal-species/

Using Shield game. Updated to 1.2.0.

Used checkpoint to restore a save (not in applet mode) it says succesfull. But when booting the game the savefile is still the old one where I just started out.

I don't use emunand or anything the like. Only atmosphere wit fusee primary. What is going on here???

Ps: I'm using the latest checkpoint and I got the latest atmosphere

EDIT: Just tried the exact same thing with JKSV. Same result :/

Edited by vree

45 minutes ago, SkyLink24 said:

Sounds like you're restoring the wrong save file. Make sure the save files you tried to restore with checkpoint and jksm is the one you downloaded.

Yeah re-verified it like 10 times both in jksv and checkpoint. It seems to revert back to an earlier auto backup save or so. Maybe the savefile hosted here itself is corrupted or so.

Ok this conludes it
I just saved my own game in 2 different palces
backed those 2 up
then restored the complete savefile from the website
it reverts back to an earlier save
BUT if I restore my own savefiles it works fine. Both back in those 2 places.
SO there is just something horribly wrong with the savefile on this site.

https://projectpokemon.org/home/files/file/2326-project-807153542-multi-gen-saves-with-every-legal-species/

Gen 8 - SWSH Project 542 1.2.0.main

PS: I even tried it on Sword with bot JKSV and checkpoint. Save reverts back to an auto backup.

Edited by vree

26 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

@vree Did you rename the save to just main (as per the description)? You've said nothing so far to indicate you've done so.
image.png

1. That save was prepared by me.
2. That save definitely loads (I literally just tested it).

So all I can imagine is that you've done something wrong..

Do reply here, thanks.

Yes it's named main without extension. I know for sure because file extension are set to visible in my windows environment.

No I did nothing wrong. There is not really something you can do wrong with just replacing a main file with your file and restoring it.

Did it many times before for animal crossing and even BCAT files.

If there was something wrong with the save, I wouldn't have been able to import it... :(
It's a completely different file from my normal gameplay, and it's not something I readily have on the Switch.
It was a fresh download to, I wasn't using an existing file on my computer. I had to replace a different save on my SD card, and import that..

You mind showing me a screenshot of the folder that has main/backup/poketrade etc?

16 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

If there was something wrong with the save, I wouldn't have been able to import it... :(
It's a completely different file from my normal gameplay, and it's not something I readily have on the Switch.
It was a fresh download to, I wasn't using an existing file on my computer. I had to replace a different save on my SD card, and import that..

You mind showing me a screenshot of the folder that has main/backup/poketrade etc?

It only has main in it. Even my own backup only has main in it. But that's possibly because it's just a fresh savefile at the earliest point you can save.

7 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Screenshot. of the folder. you can do it on a computer. thanks.

https://imgur.com/p4ZrYpY

So yeah again:

1)Booted sword/shield. Made a fresh save.

2) Backed up that save with JKSV and checkpoint

3) Downloaded the file and renamed it to main.

4) Copied it over to the backup on the SD and replaced the main.

5) Restored the file, tried both JKSV and Checkpoint same result => Goes back to some auto save backup.

Bonus) Tried my own backups and those restore fine.

Edited by vree

6 minutes ago, vree said:

https://imgur.com/p4ZrYpY

So yeah again:

1)Booted sword/shield. Made a fresh save.

2) Backed up that save with JKSV and checkpoint

3) Downloaded the file and renamed it to main.

4) Copied it over to the backup on the SD and replaced the main.

5) Restored the file, tried both JKSV and Checkpoint same result => Goes back to some auto save backup.

Bonus) Tried my own backups and those restore fine.

You're supposed to have more than one save in there.
Consider having another copy of that save in the folder named backup.

Based on how SWSH works, when you save in-game, it actually creates 2 saves: one called backup and one called main.

If you were normally replacing the saves in the folder, this wouldn't have happened.
I wonder if that's the issue, we'll know it later when you test it out.

13 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

You're suppose to have more than one save in there.
Consider having another copy of that save in the folder named backup.

Based on how SWSH works, when you save in-game, it actually creates 2 saves: one called backup and one called main.

Ok tried replacing a savefile that is further in the game. Replaced both the backup and main with the downloaded mainfile. And for some reason it still reverts to back before it.

If it overwrites both the backup and main it should work. But it seems it doesn't.

I have absolutely no idea why it wouldn't do that and so I'm out of ideas. I guess I give up.

It should at least corrupt the whole thing, but it doesn't.

What makes it even more strange is that my own files still work if i backup and restore those.

Edited by vree

12 hours ago, vree said:

Ok tried replacing a savefile that is further in the game. Replaced both the backup and main with the downloaded mainfile. And for some reason it still reverts to back before it.

I have absolutely no idea why it would that and so I'm out of ideas. I guess I give up.

At the first place, it shouldn't "revert" to a different save that you didn't restore. Sounds like checkpoint is rejecting the restore for some reason.

I know for a fact that the save isn't an issue, cause it didn't "revert" to a previous save that I didn't restore.
It's hard to imagine the save is the problem, when I am not having issues with it. If other people report that then sure, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now :(

For now, make sure you're on the latest Checkpoint, and the latest Atmosphere, and make sure your game is 1.2.0. Check the details one more time.
If it doesn't work, try exporting my save's pcdata.bin with PKHeX, then import that pcdata.bin into your save, then load that edited save into your game
My save is not meant to be "playable" in a traditional sense anyway, it's just a way to hold all the mons.; it isn't at after the E4 or something, it is at the very start of the game.

If you like, you could simply upload a save of yours, then I'll load the pcdata.bin in.
Actually, I'll much prefer you send over the latest save of yours.

• 4 months later...

I know this a late follow up. But I tried this again and it worked first try. I guess since I updated atmosphere and firmware and so on somethings just must have been fundamental fixed. Thanks again for the help.