LGPE Save Research

theSLAYER

@Kaphotics data below is probably useful for PKHeX, for language and gender changing :3
I'm still working out how to more specfically trigger skin/hair color.

Language
While byte 0x1035 does display the correct language, changing this byte makes absolutely no difference in-game.
To make things worse, there's no other offsets between 2 fresh saves (of different languages) that appears to have the same location for bearing language bytes.

It appears that 0x5600 controls in-game language display.
I can also confirm that changing this value causes the in-game displayed language to change.
The ? refers to other half-byte; it's actual value is not important (example: 0x0? could be 0x01 or 0x02 etc):

Value Language
0x0? JPN (Kana)
0x1? JPN (Kanji)
0x2? ENG
0x3? FRE
0x4? GER
0x5? ITA
0x6? SPA
0x7? KOR
0x8? CHS
0x9? CHT

(after 0x5600 discovery edit: it seems pointless that 0x1035 byte seems to follow the in-game language; it’s the config block that controls the displayed language. I wonder if the language byte of captured Pokémon is affected by this.. edit again: no it doesn't affect captured mons too, weird.)

Player's Gender
Same as the language issue above, 0x1005 displays the correct gender, but changing this doesn't affect anything in-game. So gender is probably stored elsewhere, and perhaps using a different format...

It appears that 0x4DE80 to 00 or 01 may change with the gender as well, but after changing this, so far I have yet to notice any effect on the game.

I've found the offsets for player's gender manipulation.
0x1005 controls Cut-scenes (like petting Pikachu when it first comes out of the ball)
0x1108 controls the overworld model.

If 0x1005 and 0x1108 aren't the same value, it's possible for the overworld model and cutscene model to be canonically mismatched.

Starter's Gender
I have reason to believe that 0x10B9 controls the starter's gender.
0x00 for Male, 0x01 for Female.
I've yet to check if changing this value (before capturing it) would change the encounter's gender.
edit: Editing this byte indeed changes the gender before it's capture!

Offset and code (for male and female) [don't bother with endianness; just replace the data in the same sequence]
image.png

For the record, this is what I meant by 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th color:
derpherp.jpg
(top is first, bottom is fourth, go figure)

BTW, it appears the 2-byte word has to be paired with the 1-byte. (0x1110-0x1111 paired with 0x1115, for example)
Also, if the pairing is broken (or if user tries to throw in their own color scheme), the game will default to using the 1st color.

Notes:
If you're trying to follow the data above, don't forget to open your save in PKHeX, and export the save,
so as to correct the file's checksums!

Research portion

Spoiler

I've stitched various blocks from different languaged saves into a single save, and used PKHeX to fix checksums, then imported said save.
Here's what I've done so far.
image.png
The "F" stands for Female character displayed when loading game.

image.png
value which has differences across languages. It’s 0x2X, which is indeed an English save.

It appears that 0x5600 controls in-game language display.
I can also confirm that changing this value causes the in-game displayed language to change:

Value Language
0X JPN (Kana)
1X JPN (Kanji)
2X ENG
3X FRE
4X GER
5X ITA
6X SPA
7X KOR
8X CHS
9X CHT

AND
I've found the offsets for player's gender manipulation.
0x1005 controls Cut-scenes (like petting Pikachu when it first comes out of the ball)
0x1108 controls the overworld model.

If 0x1005 and 0x1108 aren't the same value, it's possible for the overworld model and cutscene model to be canonically mismatched.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...