3DS region, legality, and getting changes to stick

Zakuzelo

Got PKHeX, Citra, and Ultra Sun, and having some troubles. Please excuse my technical illiteracy.

1. PKHeX has everything I've caught listed as from the USA, but the 3DS is from Japan. Looking at Citra's config, no, it is and always has been from the USA, but PKHeX ain't having it. No sub region either. Troubling.

2. Experimenting with it a bit, and nothing I do sticks. Load main, change something, export to main, load the game up and/or double check in PKHex and nothing stuck around. Why? Is it because of the above issue?

Also, a question that might be answered above...I'm not really looking to do much with this thing, just edit in a move here or there, get around some of the atrocious decisions/mistakes Gamefreak's made this time around. Poipole, Marowak, I'm looking at you. Probably no online stuff either, whatever there is this time around. Therefore, do I even need to worry about legality?

20 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

1. PKHeX has everything I've caught listed as from the USA, but the 3DS is from Japan. Looking at Citra's config, no, it is and always has been from the USA, but PKHeX ain't having it. No sub region either. Troubling. 

I recall this being a Citra Problem, and if I'm not mistaken, this was resolved by this:
capture.png

24 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

2. Experimenting with it a bit, and nothing I do sticks. Load main, change something, export to main, load the game up and/or double check in PKHex and nothing stuck around. Why? Is it because of the above issue?

It's not PKHeX's fault that the region/country details of the game save doesn't stick; the game itself was programmed like that.

25 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

Therefore, do I even need to worry about legality?

yes. fix the legality problems.

I figured, but again, Citra's already set to being a USA 3DS. Region_value=1, as above.

Nonono, I mean nothing sticks. Changed moves, abilities, exp, nothing. Sounds like this is because of the region discrepancy though.

Yes as in this'll cause me trouble down the line, or yes as in the legality issues are why the aforementioned problems are happening?

12 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

I mean nothing sticks. Changed moves, abilities, exp, nothing

How do you access your save file?

sounds like you might not be saving back to the right place.
Also ensure that Citra isn't running when you're trying to edit your save.

I recommend using this method to access the folder that holds your save:
rYkuKLP.png

If your view doesn't look like this,
Use File > Select Game Directory and select the folder that holds your games.

Also, just to be sure:
After you edit your Pokemon, you need to right click and set it back to the slot.
capture.png

And you definitely need to export the main (save) after that back to the same folder.

26 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Also, just to be sure:
After you edit your Pokemon, you need to right click and set it back to the slot.
capture.png

That was it. Ffs, such a simple little thing...thank you very much for that.

Well that's one problem solved, but what about the legality issue? Apparently it's important regardless of online plans?

5 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

That was it. Ffs, such a simple little thing...thank you very much for that. 

No worries, its one of the thing people miss ><

5 minutes ago, Zakuzelo said:

Well that's one problem solved, but what about the legality issue? Apparently it's important regardless of online plans?

Yes, ensure your Pokemon is legal if you intend to use 'em online.

If it's for own use, legality doesn't exactly matter.
But if you're going to go online, there's hack checks (assuming that even exists on Citra servers)

Oh, okay, so twist them around with PKHeX if necessary. Alright. Odd that there's a discrepancy at all, but I guess I'll not worry about it.

Well then, you pretty much salvaged the game for me. Thanks a bunch!

27 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

But if you're going to go online, there's hack checks (assuming that even exists on Citra servers) 

By the way the online feature of Citra is actually just the 3DS' local wireless conection forwarded over a server (or p2p). So the only checks there are the checks that are done by the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlackShark said:

By the way the online feature of Citra is actually just the 3DS' local wireless conection forwarded over a server (or p2p). So the only checks there are the checks that are done by the game.

That's good to know! I've never used that online feature before, so I wasn't sure