I've tried about everything....

Well, I'm pretty stumped at this point. What started out as a rather fun little project....has really turned quite frustrating as I've tried to see it through.

It all started here, with me creating one of my RP characters' Pokémon in a PKM file with PokeGen. Pretty easy stuff. And with PokéGen I was able to insert it into a Black rom that I used for testing purposes (trying things, usually AR Codes, to make sure it worked before attempting it on a retail cart). However this is where I slammed head-first into the brick wall.

What I wanted to do was get this magic Ditto to my retail games as a self-created gift (that also could be used for the Masuda Method and possibly unlocking Unity Tower), but without using an AR to just brute-force it into some slot in my PC or party. I wanted to do it in a way that would be relatively safe (either somehow being able to connect for a trade, fake GTS or otherwise, or perhaps making my own Mystery Gift). As you can see later on in that thread, the trade project did not go well at all. So the next trick was to make my own Mystery Gift.....which PokeGen doesn't do (and from what I've read, it used to), so I found a program that could do that.....only to find out its Gen 5 support is pretty much incomplete and I can't set some of the details I wanted to (have to manually hex edit Shiny, which I don't know how to do, changing country of origin apparently doesn't work at all according to PokeGen) plus some other odd glitches that probably would have resulted in a bad AR Code if I tried to make one. Meanwhile PKHex is Gen 6 only, absolutely NO Gen 5 support beyond transfer purposes (even then, I don't know what kind of Wonder Card support it has).

So I am totally stumped at this point. Does anyone possibly know a way around one of these roadblocks? Or maybe a better alternative to something?

I think I mentioned previously, I'm okay with creating a wondercard editor,

But you're gonna have to wait.

Alternatively,

Learn hex editing. It's not difficult

Download "HxD", and use it to open the wondercard.

You see incremental values on left and top example

_ 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

20 _ 0F B0

For example, If I say go to offset 0x21, you'll see the value is 0F

And that 0x22 is B0

So to force a shiny, go to 0x37, overwrite the value with 02

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure how to read the addresses. So 0x37 would be in row 30 and column 7....simple enough once I have that bit of info.

The only remaining problem is....well, I'll use what I have so far to show you. When I run that .pgf file through PokeGen, there are a couple of things that just don't seem to be appearing properly. First off, the level met is showing up as 0 even though I have it set to be the same as the level the Pokémon will be. Secondly, no matter what I do on the editor, it seems to always set the country of origin to the game, rather than the preset one I want it to be. I also don't want it to have any ribbons and I have no idea how to tell it to not do that (it always seems to want to give random ones).

The pkm file is basically what I want the finished product to look like (or if I can ever figure out how to get my DS to connect to altwfc, I could just send it over from the rom I use to test these things...also need to get the rom to be able to connect to it, but at least I got the emulator to finally get online, so that's a start).

EDIT: Ah, found a bit of crossed wiring in the Card editor. Looks like when I try to set the level met, it changes the hex that marks ribbons instead. Still haven't figured out how to set the region of origin on this, though...

Did you ever even try to use the AR codes to connect to AltWFC with your retail game?

I offered time and time again to trade it to you through AltWFC because I've gotten the emulator + AltWFC to work properly.

Well I still potentially might have some messing around to do in trying to get the DS itself online (I need to check this router I'm going to need for the WEP connection because I had some issues in testing it the other day). The emulator seems to be running fine now that I have all the parts, all I need to do is patch the rom (unfortunately it seems like DeSmuMe itself HATES the WfcReplay AR codes, so I can't use the rom to test them like I had hoped).

Hopefully once I get the bugs ironed out I can actually trade this thing to myself. Still, I'm learning useful information here with this project.

Gotcha.

If you are on a regular DS or a DS Lite, you would need the router to be set to WEP, yes. If you had an AR DSi on a DSi then you'd be able to use WEP, though.

I assumed that since you asked about fake GTSes, that you already had a working way to access the Wi-Fi on your retail game.

As I've mentioned before, on DeSmuME, you don't need to use the WfcReplay AR codes. You can use WfcPatcher to patch the rom directly.

If you can't get the emulator working on your end, though, as long as you can get the AR code working on your retail game and you manage to connect to AltWFC, I have the DeSmuME setup working on my end, all ready, with your Ditto ready to trade whenever.

I am in the midst of converting my super old application into the wondercard reader, since I already had attack names, locations and other stuff mapped out.

but I was super super novice back then, so the code is messy and everything is all over the place.

so my progress so far is, it's only functioning as a card reader!

oePBK0u.png

I'm tired as its 2am here..

don't expect it to be ready anytime soon xD

I'll rather you try out what Ammako is offering you :)

It's just a matter of what I'm able to fix first. Still, seems like there's a lot of useful things around here that just need a little updating (or retrofitting, if they wanted to make PKHex compatible with previous gens) and they'd be awesome resources.

seems like there's a lot of useful things around here that just need a little updating (or retrofitting, if they wanted to make PKHex compatible with previous gens) and they'd be awesome resources.

except our devs don't have unlimited time on their hands

plus, Pokegen in itself is already VERY good for previous gens.

Imagine the dark ages that one had to rely on pokesav.

there's also a Pikaedit that works reliable well, item editing and all..

edit

anyway if you're in urgent need to change the wondercard, use this as a guide for hex editing: https://projectpokemon.org/wiki/5th_Generation_Wonder_Card_Map

Well there's an awful lot of slowdown now (the scary thing is the game slows WAY down while saving). Not sure what could be causing that.

Also I'm still puzzled by how to get my DSs online. I've got a router (kinda old, but still working), it's connected to the internet (my modem has multiple LAN ports, so I can have the router on one port and my comp on another, which is ideal since I'd want to have the router put away once I'm done), and heck, I even hooked it up to the computer and reconfigured it, but when I tried to connect my DS Lite (without the AR codes, I'm just doing a test to make sure the connection works period), I get 52000-type Error Codes saying it couldn't get an IP address and couldn't connect (but when I search for an access point, it finds the router just fine, and I had the DNS set properly). Also during a connection test, I get 3 bars displayed for the connection, then partway through it drops straight to 0. When I was playing around with getting the emulator online, I was getting 20100-type errors (connected, but unable to access since I was missing the patching).

Has it always had this slowdown before? Does it only happen when using the Wi-Fi enabled version of DeSmuME and being connected to the Wi-Fi?

I am personally not having those problems, so it may be related to your computer not being able to handle it properly.

As for the 52000 error code, could you try manually assigning your DS an IP address?

In the connection's settings, set Auto-obtain IP address to No, and manually enter one.

Try following the instructions from Nintendo's website (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=52000&system=DS&locale=en_US)

1. Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite
  2. Access the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection feature for the game you are attempting to play.
  3. Choose "Manual Setup."
  4. Click the right arrow three times to reach the "Auto-Obtain IP Address" screen and choose "No."
  5. Select "Detailed setup" and tap into IP Address field, and type in the IP address below for your router brand.IP addresses to enter by router brand:
    • Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.140
    • Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.090
    • D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.190
    • Apple - enter: 010.000.001.250
    • 2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.250
    • SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.190Don't see your router brand listed? Click here for help with finding an IP address to enter.

[*]Next, for the Subnet Mask, enter 255.255.255.000 and select "OK."

[*]Select the "Gateway Box" box. You will need to enter the defail gateway address for your router brand. Look at the brand of your router, and enter the gateway address listed below into the field.

• Linksys - enter: 192.168.001.001
  • Netgear - enter: 192.168.001.001
  • Belkin - enter: 192.168.002.001
  • D-Link - enter: 192.168.000.001
  • Apple - enter: 010.000.001.253
  • 2Wire - enter: 192.168.001.254
  • Actiontec - enter: 192.168.001.001
  • SMC Networks - enter: 192.168.002.001Don't see your router brand listed? Click here for help with finding an IP address to enter.

This assumes that your router hasn't been reconfigured in any way that would change the Gateway address (Gateway address = the IP you enter in your browser to access router settings, if that's the way you are configuring it.)

Your error is saying that you were unable to get an IP address. When it's set to Auto-obtain, the router would normally be assigning an IP address to your device, but you get this error because said router isn't assigning you an IP (either it isn't configured to do so, or something. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to networking and routers.)

Try to manually assign an IP (and don't forget to fill in Subnet Mask and Gatway), and if it doesn't work still, well... I'm not sure then.

If all else fails, here is two Wondercards for that Ditto. Due to the nature of how the game generates Mystery Gifts, the name will be in English (assuming your game is English), but it is set to be Japanese internally, so it should be good for Masuda Method and for unlocking Unity Tower.

Alternatively, I've included a second one which forces the name to メタモン, but this has the side effect of enabling the Nicknamed flag on the Pokémon, which would never normally be present, along with giving it invalid trash bytes. It doesn't really actually cause any problems as far as using it in-game goes, though.

except our devs don't have unlimited time on their hands

plus, Pokegen in itself is already VERY good for previous gens.

Imagine the dark ages that one had to rely on pokesav.

there's also a Pikaedit that works reliable well, item editing and all..

edit

anyway if you're in urgent need to change the wondercard, use this as a guide for hex editing: https://projectpokemon.org/wiki/5th_Generation_Wonder_Card_Map

I took a look at that hex list. There's definitely some discrepancies between the actual list and editor (for example, changing one of the ribbon hexes actually makes the editor unable to do anything with Pokémon data, among some other small errors).

I'll play with the router a little later. I'm a little busy with some other things, but hopefully all I have to do is point the DS in the right direction and I'll get somewhere.

Also there was a very small bit of slowdown between running the non-patched rom on the regular emulator compared to running it on the wifi one. After patching, it got a lot more noticeable (although it eases a bit on the normal emulator).

And one last thing. I was nice enough to post the AR Codes for AltWFC access for the Gen 5 games. I had to generate the B/W ones myself, but I was lucky to stumble across the ones for B2/W2 trying to...well, save myself some trouble on the former two (not that I wanted them handed to me on a platter, but I would have preferred something I could at least verify worked before trying it myself, but I guess I'll just have to go for it). At the very least it might save someone else some trouble in the future.

I took a look at that hex list. There's definitely some discrepancies between the actual list and editor (for example, changing one of the ribbon hexes actually makes the editor unable to do anything with Pokémon data, among some other small errors).

I'll play with the router a little later. I'm a little busy with some other things, but hopefully all I have to do is point the DS in the right direction and I'll get somewhere.

Also there was a very small bit of slowdown between running the non-patched rom on the regular emulator compared to running it on the wifi one. After patching, it got a lot more noticeable (although it eases a bit on the normal emulator).

And one last thing. I was nice enough to post the AR Codes for AltWFC access for the Gen 5 games. I had to generate the B/W ones myself, but I was lucky to stumble across the ones for B2/W2 trying to...well, save myself some trouble on the former two (not that I wanted them handed to me on a platter, but I would have preferred something I could at least verify worked before trying it myself, but I guess I'll just have to go for it). At the very least it might save someone else some trouble in the future.

The makeshift editor should be working.

Didn't implement ribbon editing, cause it is a pain and you didn't want it.

I haven't tried to receive a pokemon from the wondercard editor in game, but in theory it should work.

I've already made a Wondercard for it yesterday, if that's what you made this editor for.

Although I do suppose it could come in handy for other people in the future.

Fair enough.

Sorry, it's just that I've been trying to help, and it's been feeling like my efforts kept going unnoticed.

Fair enough.

Sorry, it's just that I've been trying to help, and it's been feeling like my efforts kept going unnoticed.

I'm pretty sure you helped, and honestly I think playing off an emulator online would be a better choice. (saving editing + trading)

Heck, the only reasons why I don't play off an emulator, is because I got a DS flashcart, so I am able to edit my saves by taking out the SD card ><

Maybe it would be, yeah. But it seemed like they were having a lot of trouble getting the emulator to work, + getting their retail game online, so it's probably a lot less of a hassle to use an AR code like this, especially if they only want this one Pokémon and aren't gonna be touching this again.

If they wanted to do more things like this in the future, though, then it'd definitely be worth figuring it out and getting it to work.

Maybe it would be, yeah. But it seemed like they were having a lot of trouble getting the emulator to work, + getting their retail game online, so it's probably a lot less of a hassle to use an AR code like this, especially if they only want this one Pokémon and aren't gonna be touching this again.

If they wanted to do more things like this in the future, though, then it'd definitely be worth figuring it out and getting it to work.

Well, maybe the user would want to edit some other details using Pokegen,

having an emulator to trade between the retail cart is a good option to have!

Yeah, especially the name/nickname thing. Wondercards are a bit limited in that regard.

Might be worth for them to look into getting a cheap flashcard, though.

Yeah, especially the name/nickname thing. Wondercards are a bit limited in that regard.

Might be worth for them to look into getting a cheap flashcard, though.

I'm all for a cheap flashcart.

multiple games, homebrew that dumps and injects save back into NDS carts, mystery gift spoofers, so much can be done!

Hey, I'm learning all sorts of things between trying to figure out these two methods, so it hasn't gone to waste.

Preliminary testing on my DS Lite looks promising. I might actually be able to finish this project today.

EDIT: Well, I was able to get my games online to get Friend Codes for them, but I get Error 91010 (communication error) when I actually try to get into the WFC itself. Now I had to look up what this error was and.....I don't know if it's my router or something weird with my Friend Codes (which could be possible, since I friend'd my retail Black and White games with the C-Gear before getting their Friend Codes)

EDIT2: ...well the friend code thing helped, but it still hasn't cleared the Error 91010 problem entirely (I was at least able to get into the WFC, but got booted after a little bit). Any thoughts what I can do to stabilize that?

EDIT Pt 3: SUCCESS!!! Apparently the last time it error'd may have just been me not knowing how to use the darn thing.

Edited by NekoSabrina