How does residence data work exactly?

Dreamer

I've been messing with pkhex and after checking a few of my pokemon, I dont really understand how the residence data is stored.

- Most of the pokemon acquired from gts trades have no past location data at all.

- Other pokemon have 1/2 past locations but the location they originated from, as seen in the main tab, is not there

(for example, I have a giratina which is from Hong Kong but only has Japan,Tokyo as a past location).

- Then, there are a few that actually have the location of origin as a past location (rarely).

- Most pokemon acquired through wifi trades (not local or gts) had past location data, but there were still inconsistencies like above.

If anyone could post some info, I would be grateful!

residence data is not updated if it is traded from the OT, because that location data is already stored in its regular data

OT(residence)->you = no data

OT(residence)->player1(residence)->you = residence data for player1

another way:

trading away~~

OT->anyone : no update

anyone->anyone else: add past residence from person trading away

it basically keeps track of all the places it's been while away from the OT.

Thank you Kaphotics.

So does this mean that the pokemom that have stored the location of origin as a past location were traded between 2 3DS from the same region (perhaps by the same person for cloning purposes)?

residence data is not updated if it is traded from the OT, because that location data is already stored in its regular data

OT(residence)->you = no data

OT(residence)->player1(residence)->you = residence data for player1

another way:

trading away~~

OT->anyone : no update

anyone->anyone else: add past residence from person trading away

it basically keeps track of all the places it's been while away from the OT.

I don't think this is correct, at least the way you have described it - all Pokemon I have received by wonder trade and online trades have been updated with my country/region in the residence data immediately even in the case of OT->anyone. So to make it look like a Pokemon has been traded to you, you should add your own country and region to the residence data. But otherwise it's correct that the OT's country/region is not ever added to the residence data.

Dreamer has only used 'past location' and not really specified if their own location is showing in the residence data so I'm assuming this happens for them too.

all Pokemon I have received by wonder trade and online trades have been updated with my country/region in the residence data immediately even in the case of OT->anyone

I think you're talking about the Latest Residence. Kaphotics is talking about Past ones. My own location is always showing in the Latest Country and Region, if that's what you mean.