Bootleg cartridges and legality.

Soniktts

Hello all,

A few years ago a friend gave me his Fire Red cartridge to 'fix' as he claimed he couldn't Migrate his Pokémon to Pearl. The menu in his DS game wouldn't prompt him with an option of Migrating.

I took a good look at it using his DS game with my Gen III cartridges successfully but my DS games couldn't recognise the Fire Red neither. After a quick Google search as well as coming to the conclusion myself, the solution to the problem was discovering the Fire Red was a bootleg copy. If you're unaware Ebay is full of bootleg copies of Gen III cartridge games as well as DS games but I'm told they're less numerous.

The legality of the Pokémon on the cartridge took my interest but with PokéCheck being down I didn't have a good view of it outside of the Legality Checker. I found a shiny male Nidoran on the cartridge in the Safari Zone, transferred to Soul Silver, backed the .sav up and took a look.

NowjREu.png

'Uncommon GBA'

Legit or not? I believe the process of bootlegging games is copying and pasting data to blank cartridges.

I traded the Nidoran from the fake cartridge to my legitimate version of Fire Red without any issue. According to Google the anti-cheat system in the DS games will wipe the save data in the Gen III cartridge but I had no issue with that.