Do I need Action Replay to edit the save file of a retail cartridge?

yuurei

Sorry, folks, I am terribly newbie.

I got a DS Lite. My only concern is getting Wonder Cards for my HeartGold retail cartridge.

I was reading some threads so I found that Pokedoc tool. If I understand it right, that tool (used via R4) can make a backup of the save file, store it on the pc and restore it back to DS.

Couldn't I just edit the save file on pc using PokeGen (or other computer program)? Do I really need Action Replay (if so, why?)? Would it be safe?

I hope I am not asking it in the wrong section.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?16601-How-to-Backup-Restore-your-retail-cartridge-save-file-(D-P-Pt-HG-SS-B-W-Nearly-any-other-DS-game)

In order to use a computer program, you first need a copy of the save file. A flashcart (like an R4,but there are better options) would probably be best with your DS lite, if you have compatible Wifi. If you would rather have an Action Replay, you can still do a lot of things, but only overwrite what is on your game. You cannot view your save and make small adjustments (thouh you can look on your game and enter that info).

Long story short, flashcart + WiFi = save editing, Action Replay = mildly limited save editing + other things (walk through walls, any Pokemon can learn any TM, and a variety of other fun things for almost any game).

What's the best (= safest) computer program to edit save files?

PokeGen all the way, especially for adding Wondercards to your save.

Just always keep a backup of your save on your computer, regardless. I have NEVER had a problem using PokeGen, but it never hurts to have a backup.

That's the great thing about using Pokedoc's tool to back up your save, you can keep backups of it tucked away in case something happens to your cart.

Edited by phoenragon