My pokemon project

Hello all,

this is my first post here and I wanted to get some feedback on my idea. I am not sure if this is the place to post it in, but I will give it a shot, what the heck.

Many of us have been HUGE pokemon fans since the r/b/y game came in way back when. Some days, I admit that I play it just because I miss the old pokemon. As much as I like the new ones and the variety of attacks they have, I have always wanted some way to have it all in one place. ~I have never heard of an idea such as this so if anyone know it one like this please let me know!~

Imagine a world where you can travel between pokemon regions and battle virtually every pokemon, A-Z and everyone on the network! What I am proposing is a application, running off of smartphones and computers where you can play pokemon whenever you want to.

of course everyone would have a starting point, but you can choose what region you start out in, and you can pick your first pokemon. Who is your rival? EVERYONE. If I were to register and start playing, you would see me walking around and you could challenge me.

------------- Here is where I go into detail about this proposal ------------------------

for server traffic and descent walking space, each city would have to be significantly bigger, Palet Town, in its original state couldn't possibly handle 1,000 users all at once. So a bit of modernization and expansion will be necessary. Every user will be able to decorate their own place. there will be a giant housing buildings in every starting region where users will start and will be able to decorate.

Now here is an aspect that I think will throw a curve ball into Pokemon gaming concept. On top of picking whether you are a male or female, you have the choice of what type of trainer you would like to be! There are about 200 different types of trainer classes you could be, obiviously it would need to be shortened. Lets say for example, I pick a male character. The game then gives me a list of male type trainers and ALSO STATS AND A DESCRIPTION. Certain trainers will have different focuses when it comes to stats. I scroll through, ninja (smaller attack but higher speed, which means more chance for double attacks), cooltrainer (about even stats all across the board), a Gambler (lower attack but more chance of a critical hit), a Blackbelt (focusing more on attack and defense), Super Nerd (focusing on spec. att. and def. and has slightly more critical hit percentage), a Clerk (less on spec. att and def, but gains more money at the end of the battle) ---- all in all, there are tons of different stats that you could lean towards.

Each region cant be its own server, it would just be too big and it wouldn't work, there would be too much information to transmit. With that said, everywhere has to be its own subserver. Palet town would be a server, Prof. Oak's lab its own server, route 1, etc. This would section everything off and make it possible for everything (I would assume) I am also thinking that there should be a cap on these places so that there isnt an overload in one area, or possibly a few different route 1's and the game will randomly place you in the secondary route 1 if it starts getting full (what do you think)

---- Interacting ---

you will be able to walk up to someone and talk to them, If I were to go to someone and press enter, a menu would come up

------------------------

| Chat Battle |

| Trade Cancel |

-------------------------

~~~ chat ~~~

there would have to be censorship considering that there will be users of all ages, but it would be a small dialogue box where you stand

~~~ trade ~~~

trading items in your pack

~~~ battle ~~~

when entering a battle it would ask

-------------------------------------------

| Battle now 2v2 Team Battle |

| 3v3 Team Battle Cancel |

--------------------------------------------

this menu will be on the bottom and above it will be your opponent's pokemon and their levels so you can see what you are getting into

Oh and as a last thought, I want to be able to see all the legendary pokemon as well, BUT in this version of pokemon, NOONE will be able to catch these legendary pokemon, they will appear and you can fight them, they will just be VERY hard to defeat and yes, they will respawn after a certain amount of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is an incomplete thought and I am learning how to program at the moment, so hopefully I will understand how everything will fall into place. I am aware that it will probably take a lot of space for all the programming and all the pokemon with their attacks and animation, but I believe that it is something worth getting into IF i could get this up and running. I have to admit it would be totally awesome, heck, I would probably play it all day.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS/GIRLS THINK ABOUT THIS

and if you have any suggestions LET ME KNOW!!!! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself playing the old Gen 1 games myself. I would love to register for this the day it is finished. This is a brilliant idea in my opinion. I hope everything works out great! Also, what kind of storyline do you plan on incorporating into it? Something new or the original for the respective regions? Also, how about items such as berries can only be found in their respective region. Johto berries in Johto, etc. This would encourage people to explore the other regions and make more friends. It adds to the motivation of the "gotta catch them all". Also, will the regions all share Gen 5 mechanics?

Another great idea would be a league for every region, then possibly a Master League, if you will, that can only be joined after defeating all five regions' respective leagues? Another idea would be to allow berry planting exactly like in Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald, with possibly the addition of mulch that we see in Gen 4.

Oh, another idea (sorry, this is getting me excited), how about for a profile page (like here on forums), except with a customizable Secret Base like in Hoenn. You can earn stuff to add to your Secret Base as rewards (i.e., getting certain number of badges, getting certain number of pokemon, certain regions, beating various leagues, etc.). These are just some cool ideas that I think will keep people playing. If all of this pulls off, this will be the most successful MMORPG for Pokemon out there. I'm will to support in any way I can, such as provide pokemon files to examine and such. I am not good with software, but I'd be happy to help any way I can. I would also make it so it can be upgraded for future regions / generations, as well as battle styles. Also, did you know that in Black and White, there is a Unity Tower that keeps a record of every country and people from their respective country you trade with on GTS? Just wanted to throw that out there. Any and all of this is optional, feel free to take any of these ideas and / or expand / improve them how you see fit. Good luck!

I have to say this came to mind as well. It would be awesome, a massive MMO where pokenerds and casual players alike could duke it out and enjoy the game with other people. I agree with your ideas, and I know little to nothing about programming so I can't help you there, but I would like to address a few things. This is going to be a lengthy post and if you don't agree with everything that's fine, but I would like you to consider some things:

The trainer types I find should not have perks meant to for in-game battle. The type you choose could determine starter, reputation (if there are NPCS which there probably will be could determine responses, gifts, money, etc) but should not influence direct gameplay. For instance, if you're a rich kind of character, you could make more money off of battles. however, battles against other players would be strange... How would you make money? Would you:

A) Bet on a certain amount of points for a gamble battle and most battles do not have money transaction blarghen slargh or

B) it is pre-determined based on player rank and whatnot?

I think it is preferable to have your own character creator. As you progress, you can make more money and therefore purchase titles, accessories, you know, typical stuff like that. I don't know how a level system would work, unless you made it so that a player's level is determined by how far they progress against other players and wild Pokemon. So, battling wild pokemon would give you experience, but battling certain trainers gives you plenty more maybe? It does that in the official games so... You could have a level cap or something for those players that have started and as you get more and more experience and stuff your overall level cap increases. This would probably be implemented so that higher level players do not walk up to lower level players and torture them, but it doesn't need to be in there and I don't fully agree with it. EDIT: I thought that each pokemon has a level cap determined by your overall level. So for instance your pokemon cap is 50. You have one pokemon at fifty because you overuse your Conkeldurr and as a result it cannot level up anymore and your overall rank will not increase (which includes money cap, rep maybe, and obviously pokemon level cap). However if you train your weaklings your overall rank will increase. Once a pokemon reaches a new level, it's added to the overall, and the higher the level the higher the bonus. This is just a side thought, but if you added an experience bonus for every tenth level reached (as in once you reach level 20 you get a jackpot bonus or something).

Also, have more than the basic chat options. Heck, if you can implement, why not a party chat thing? I don't how you would put it in, because I don't know programming and I'm sorry, but it would be neat. You can do whatever though.

If you didn't already suggest it, have a party option. Have the option for people to join together in a party and travel the world together, having the abilities to battle wild pokemon, battle gym leaders even, join clubs (guilds) and a whole slew of things. it would make double battles more interesting. Furthermore, you could have large scale battles, three on three, where each player uses some of their pokemon, and through party chat can strategize and so on.

Hidden bases could probably be used for guilds and stuff like that (or a more kid friendly term, clubs). This would allow banners, team logos, stats, recordings, identity, and other practicalities.

For gyms, make them hard! Regardless of which area you are in and regardless of who it is, make it so that gym's are a rewarding experience to go through and make the AI intelligent. Make it worthwhile to challenge them. Gym badges could allow access to the Elite Four/Pokemon League, which, as some have already said, would be incredibly challenging, and for good reason.

I entirely agree that legendaries should not be catchable. What about that Victreebell? Get people to attach to the common Pokemon, and it'll be a whole lot more interesting to do so! Battling players would be a lot more exciting as a result.

The regions, as well, is a fantastic idea. I personally would start in Hoenn, but being able to choose would be nice. You could, although this is just me, add custom locations, like in the seas, so that people can reside there and do stuff and yada, yada, yada. All in all, not much to say about that because I too have thought about it once.

I hope my ideas were not poor. I'd just prefer it if it was not made like those Pokemon Indigo or Pokemon Crater sites, where it is not in real-time. That's boring as can be. Get real-time interactivity going, and then we've got something awesome here!

My only complaint is the trainer types. Aside from perks with, I don't know, levelling and gaining money, there should be no critical hit esque things or whatever, so stay true to the original game's mechanics, just include a character customizer. It'll be hard with sprites, but that is if this becomes big and 3-D modellers come in, well, awesome.

It's fun to think about the possibilities of things like this, but I can tell you right now that the chance of you pulling this off, even PARTIALLY, like, miniscule part, is extremely low. It's pointless to get people interested in something you're not capable of. (I'm sure this'll be seen as negativity, but it's simply reality.)

I agree with Codr to a certain extent. We are in reality, so any chance of this pulling off is slim. But then again, many games / businesses / etc have pulled off their ideas even though they were numbered, as far as chances go, before. And like Lorshinator said, some people such as programmers may want to help or even pitch in. As I always say, when there's a will, there's a way. Also, as for character customization, you could if it is too much trouble let us choose from various trainer sprites (obviously not leaders or league sprites). For example, Pokemon Breeder. Perhaps this can have an effect on the pokemon you catch or something? Just some more thoughts. Every great project always starts with brainstorming and finding helpers.

There aren't enough programmers that have the capability and desire to try doing something like this. (That visit these forums, that is.) I'm not implying that I'm an expert, but if you ask anyone with a great deal of professional and hobbyist experience, they'll tell you the same thing I am. You can also see these big ideas all over various forums/communication mediums that rarely get realized, even in places with lots of good programmers.

Again, I never said you were wrong, you couldn't be farther from the truth.

Ideally speaking, if you do have the number of programmers, it will still take a long time to make something like this. It's clearly harder to do than it sounds. I commend this guy for being ambitious, but of course if he's starting out in programming he should start small and move his way up.

That's most likely because people just speak about it and don't really do it. It would have to be spread all over the internet and so on to be heard, and may not even be met considering the scale of it.

if this guy and others are to make a project and want an RPG esque type thing, start off with a fan-made game with either a new region or one that already exists. Trying to make an MMO right off the bat, I agree, is a little too much, and it's not a bad thing, but the amount of time it would take to make if they had the members is high, and before that acquiring members would be very difficult.

In essence, if you want to program, start off small.

True. Personally in my honest opinion, not many programmers capable of this would even be interested in making an MMO, particularly Pokemon. Again, you never know. At the same time, I still have my doubts. Like Codr said, many ideas like this go about not being realized. But some do, even if there is an insignificant minimum chance, like 1/1,000,000,000 probability. It would still be cool to see something like this become a game though. Plus this person who suggested this hasn't really showed up to make a comment on this thread since he/she made it. My guess, he/she forgot about it or just decided to ditch the idea. I believe it is safe to toss whatever hope there was, if any, out the window.