The avatar thread banner competition

which is your favourite?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. which is your favourite?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the transfer of votes shouldn't be allowed ( except in the case where I voted wrong, so 1 of my votes goes to Narwal ) as it's just gonna cause confusion.

Also I don't particularly care who wins, but it would be nice to get some feed back on my art and how I could make it better. I've a few people say it needs some tweaks, please enlighten me on what they would be.

Here is what I see, Enkidu. There are many spots in your banners that appear to have a lot of 'pixel noise' (generally unnecessary pixelated areas, but in this case, places that are not as smooth as others)

This is what I see, I just have an eye for this kind of thing.

I have attempted to circle the major areas of this:

Enkidu1.jpg

And here is a cropped version, attempting to show one of the main areas.

enkidu2.jpg

That area, circled here, almost has a "Filter>Texture>Grain" effect to it! (At least, in the way the colors are shown, they are the exact same as the unsmoothed pixels in the image)

enkidu3.jpg and enkidu4.jpg

All of that was done on purpose, by hand I might add

Resize render>Adjustments>Exposure ( set gamma to 1.1 )> Adjustments> Gradient map ( black and white> Edit gradient map> Fade to 40% set mode to luminosity

Then use a custom smudge tool brush set to opacity,size and angle jitter 100% with scattering to create the smudge effect leaving only a few "lights" intact, and then I went by with the sharpen tool set to 40% and by hand I went over specific spots to give them "noise" this way it added more dimension and depth to that one layer background.

I like more colors but that's just me. That's why I love the the super nova effect. Enkidu's looks dark and depressing, why not cheery colors like Red or yellow or a light blue and green. But that's just me. Dont we want the banner to be eye catching enough to attract people to the thread. Brighter colors make things more eye catching.

Its not depressing...the colors are just well darker then I would do and I like more colorful colors. Brighter or at least make something luminescent. I liked the aura sphere lucario one better. Plus I think that the "We make avatars" saying isn't necessarily saying there's a thread for requesting or a thread at all. Its just saying we make avatars. Well that's great and all but not obvious enough. I the "The avatar Thread better" is shows that there is a thread and draws people to it and then they find out that you can request for one. Plus they'll see all the fantastic work there instead of just that one banner that says "We make avatars"

I'm sorry but you're in the lead enkidu so people are bound to notice more of the faults because yours is drawing more attention. Plus you asked for it really.

Plus I think that the "We make avatars" saying isn't necessarily saying there's a thread for requesting or a thread at all. Its just saying we make avatars.

It's not like they see a banner where the Thread title is in the "creative discussion forum" Thats what should give it away, the banner is just to look nice at the top of the page.

To me personally, adding noise like that takes away from the value of an image. That's just me, though. :]

Well I disagree, purely smooth images are boring and give a sense of "bleak" to images which is overdone in photos and on Tv, the noise takes that away and makes it seem significantly more busy, but also adds a literal layer of "depth" to the background.

I see your points enkidu...although isn't the point of what we're doing is to make avatars that people will like...its hard for people to get avatars they like if they dont know where to request...some people need the obvious...all of us have our moments where we need the obvious. I dont see anything wrong with putting "The avatar creation thread" in our banner. We make avatars just seems to subtle to me. (I'm pretty sure subtle is the right word not positive though...) It just seems to...well...not advertisey enough. (There's a new word for our group dictionary :P)

<3<3<3<3< Its wonderful! The gengar makes the whole scene look better and the text is still a bit subtle but I think the gengar makes the scene POP more so it doesn't matter as much...:) That is the best one yet enkidu and the one I'd vote for :biggrin: but since you cant change (what a shame..:() then cubone stays with its morbid skull and all...:\ I wish there was a broken heart smilie...

See, now that I like much better, Kid. :] I think it's when you put the sharpened pixels so close to the pokemon that just throws my eyes off. It looks nicer with it smoothed more around the pokemon and then rough around it! :D