Flying Pokemon?

XxSondraBearxX

I wrote a whole guide about Gen V Pokemon within in-game if you want to check out some flying Pokemon. The most common used one so far is Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant, who is OKAY, but there's also Ducklett/Swanna, who can also work well, since it can Fly and Surf. In fact, I would recommend it if it weren't a pain to find in that bridge. There's Woobat/Swoobat... which evolves through happiness. It's okay, but not remarkable and poor statistically. The rare Sigilyph in the desert is pretty cool and arguably a better alternative to Swoobat. Archeops if you revive the fossil is AMAZING. Which version are you playing... Black or White? In Black you can get Vullaby and in White you can get Rufflet. The former is not worth your time while the latter can be great if you get him to level 54 (that is a LOOONNGGG way to go) -_-

If all else fails, use Reshiram/Zekrom after you beat the E4 (you can use it for only two battles from that point before the Hall of Fame thingamajic). There's not much else really. Unfortunately, if they don't get your interest, you have very little choice in terms of flying Pokemon, so I suggest you re-evaluate some of these Pokemon to see maybe they have something you like if you cannot force yourself to be interested.

The guide helped a lot :) I'm definitely bookmarking that. Thanks!

I have my Archen, although all i did was revive him from the fossil and put him in my box...so i don't even wanna think about what level he possibly is...but his evolved form is sweet :)

I've been using a level 8 Pidove to get me around, so i was thinking about just looking for a strong Unfezant to use, or else waiting to get the legendary.

It's just a pain in the butt trying to train Pokemon after getting this far in the game. hahah, guess that's kinda my fault.

Thanks for the help, i think I'm going to get my Archen out of my box :D

Oh, I'm playing Black btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use my DW taillow (now a swellow). He's not bad, but I'm thinking of replacing him with a hydraigon (spelling?) post-game.

And when will gamefreak actually shoow the non-bird pokemon as something other than a bird?

I just use my DW taillow (now a swellow). He's not bad, but I'm thinking of replacing him with a hydraigon (spelling?) post-game.

And when will gamefreak actually shoow the non-bird pokemon as something other than a bird?

Problem is, some people don't have access to DW.

Also, I don't like arguing semantics but what in the world is that? (the thing I bolded... read it again).

If you meant a non-bird Flying Pokemon or a non-Flying bird Pokemon, there are plenty, such as Tornadus and Gyarados, or in latter case, Torchic or Empoleon.

I mean the fly animation. If I use a pokemon to fly, it always shows a bird pokemon.

Try making a mew or another pokemon that doesn't look like a bird use fly out of battle.

The animation will show you jumping on a BIRD/BIRD POKEMON. Sorta weird...

• 1 month later...

This whole thing was about pre-E4, when old Pokes were not available. :S

But Honchkrow is insanely powerful... too bad he lost access to Heat Wave or Superpower due to the lack of move tutors :/

I stuck with a Pidgeot I migrated from Soul Silver. I got excited when it learned Hurricane... but it misses like crazy -_-

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't know much about it. But I've seen a film and dodrio jumped about 20 meters or something from cliff to cliff. So probaly they can. I've met a trainer in pokemon black adbunt shrine who has a dodrio with bounce. My friend says there isn't one but he dosn't even know how to get there. I've told him you need to get waterfall from the routs with p2 labratory or watereveritscalled but he says that 1: You can't get to that route and 2: there is no more HM you can get except if you defeat certain gym leaders in this game.

Edited by Haxorus

• 1 month later...

I normally use Aerodactyl, another good one. Another good one is Drifblim, Who can learn Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball. 3 other good flying types are Honchkrow, Fearow and Dodrio.

XxSondraBearxX, If you want a flying type pokemon before league that can learn fly, Unfezant is good. Swanna is a good slave and Sigilyph is another pick from me. Golurk czn also learn fly even though it has no wings.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the OP was referring to Pokemon that can be caught pre E-4.

The Pidove line is a decent choice, the the lack of good STAB moves way leave something to be desired.

Sigliph is an excellent choice, though the rarity of finding one may prove a challenge. It gots a great, speed, special attack, & a decent movepool so it doesn't really slow down until post-game.

The Aaken line is a great choice due to the fact that it positively rips up the E-4 with its convenient movepool. Once It evolves to Archeops, expect it to completely make up for its ability. Only Archeops will learn fly though.

Tornadus & Thundrus are decent flyers, though they'll e just as useful as the next guy when it comes to the E-4. Be aware that they level up very slowly though.

I got a Dream World Staravia in my game and used that to dominate the first part of it (leading up to the fall of...that awesome place).

Failing that, if you're patient enough to find Sigilyph (at the Desert Resort), I'd suggest that one. It has excellent Special Attack and Speed and learns Air Slash through level up. Plus, Magic Guard prevents residual damage, so you don't need to worry about status conditions (although they're not overly common in the Elite Four). Plus, I think it's more worthwhile than trying to get a Woobat's happiness to max out.

• 2 months later...

Well a good flying type pokemon should be Rufflet or its evolved form Braviary it evolves at lvl 54. I picked this as my flying pokemon from Route 10 and its Physical Attack is its best stat and Fly is a Physical move so you can use it as a travel pokemon or a nice flying type attack but the problem is its only obtainable in Pokemon White Version not Pokemon Black Version and it is only found after the Last Gym Leader from Opelucid City which are Iris(White) or Drayden(Black) if you have Pokemon Black Version you could get Vullaby or its evolved form Mandibuzz it evolves at lvl 54 same as Rufflet and Braviary from Pokemon White Version and you can use Fly on it for traveling or just for battling those are my best flying type pokemon sorry you cant get them earlier but you can Trade with me on my Pokemon White Version my FC is 0690 9565 3031 name Ely I give out Rufflets and Vullaby or if you want me to train and evolve them to their evolved forms give me a shout and tell me if you want them

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say the best pure bird pokemon (normal/flying) from G5 is Braviary. Unfezzant's stats and moves don't match up well, and Vullaby (and its evolutions) have terrible stats and moves across the board.

Other than that, only Ducklett, Sigilyph, and Archen are really worth consideration. They are Water, Psychic, and Rock respectively. While all are good, the question is more about what your particular party needs.

Or, if you don't need a flying pokemon in your party, but you still want to fly, there is one option: Gollett. This Ground/Ghost can...somehow... learn Fly. Seriously.