Excadrill Moveset

Let me start off by saying I understand this may not be up to Excadrill's full potential, but these are the options.

Set 1 -- I debated on this set because it has most super effective coverage.

Excadrill - Sand Force - Adamant

Attack - 252 Speed - 252 Hp - 6

Earthquake

Shadow Claw

Aerial Ace

Brick Break

Set 2 -- I debated on this set because it has highest overall dmg output.

Excadrill - Sand Force - Adamant

Attack - 252 Speed - 252 Hp - 6

Earthquake

Shadow Claw

X-Scissor

Poison Jab

I was originally countering Excadrill's weaknesses i.e. Aerial Ace for Fighting and Brick Break for Ice. I'm leaning towards Set 2 because even if they are super effective STAB Earthquake still out damages both Aerial Ace and Brick Break when super effective because of such low base power. I was contemplating Rock Slide over Poison Jab for Flying coverage, but since Excadrill is part Steel, Flying only does 1/2 dmg so I figure a couple Jabs/Claws can do the trick depending on multitype. Thoughts?

Please just stick to the given sets and constructive feedback. Thanks.

The problem with Excadrill is no matter how strong it is, all that strength is meaningless if it lacks the ability to go first. You may want to settle with the ability SAND RUSH instead of Sand Force, because SAND RUSH Excadrill is the one EVERYBODY fears.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush

Nature: Adamant / Jolly

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- X-Scissor / Brick Break / Substitute

This is pretty much what you want. Swords Dance will make up for the loss of Sand Force power, and you do it when Excadrill HAS that chance. Once Swords Dance is up, Excadrill will be VERY difficult to stop. And you should know by now Excadrill needs the sand, so make sure the Sandstorm is up, and things like Gliscor, Swampert, Conkeldurr and Ninetales are OUT before you attempt the sweep. Having entry hazards on the other side is especially helpful and will guarantee the sweep. X-Scissor eats things like Cresselia who would otherwise do some naughty things to Excadrill, Brick Break is a good Fighting move so you can at least stand some chance against Bronzong, while Substitute blocks all sorts of nasty Will-o-Wisps and whatnot coming from everywhere. Good thing about Excadrill is its natural immunity to Toxic and Thunder Wave.

Wraith is correct. Also, Air Balloon is the best item and you should pretty much be only using it. Jolly is best, as you want to outspeed adamant Doryuuzu/Excadrill. You need to be careful with it though, as it's extremely easy to come in with Gyarados or that crocodile dude and kill it off, gaining plus one with Earthquake spiral (was that moxie?)

Interesting points. For Brick Break wouldn't X-scissor be better since because of Bronzong dual type it reduces multiplier to 1 same as X but X is 80 power vs 75? What/Where/How do I get Air balloon? That makes Levitate's touchdown right? Does it effect my own pokemon? Isn't Excadrill's speed upwards of 270? I guess since Earthquake is upwards of 700 dmg Rush over Force wouldn't be a big hit. Or would switching from Adamant to Jolly be enough? It would push speed from 275 to 302. I use Aerodactyl to setup Sandstorm. Or would Skarmory be a better fit? Going for the immunity to Earthquake and Sandstorm dmg.

Wouldn't Earthquake eventually kill them? Opening with Aerodactyl with 394 speed I could pop a Sandstorm which would activate Sand Rush which would then make Excadrill outspeed and open with Earthquake effectively severely dmging or killing any pokemon they opened with leaving me with a healthy Aerodactyl to combo with. Or does it not work that way?

Or are we talking about a Tyranitar with U-turn in singles? (I know this would never happen, I just thought of it after the fact. Lol)

Wouldn't Earthquake eventually kill them? Opening with Aerodactyl with 394 speed I could pop a Sandstorm which would activate Sand Rush which would then make Excadrill outspeed and open with Earthquake effectively severely dmging or killing any pokemon they opened with leaving me with a healthy Aerodactyl to combo with. Or does it not work that way?

Hippowdon and Tyranitar have better survivability, more utility, AND provides infinite sandstorm. You might as well use them. Once Aerodactyl is gone, it's gone, and it is fragile enough to get OHKOd-2HKOd often. Aerodactyl has other uses, and if you insist on Aerodactyl lead, just stick the Hippo/Tar someplace in the middle of your team. Excadrill can sweep once it is READY to, DO NOT bring it out too early as most often than not, many teams have checks against Excadrill.

A few from top of my head:

Skarmory, Bronzong, Gliscor, Cresselia for versions without X-Scissor, Landorus, I'm not so sure how well Swampert checks Excadrill, but it can take versions that did not + 2. It takes at least 70% from Landorus's Earthquake with Sand Power and Life Orb, to give you an idea... so I cannot imagine it surviving a + 2 Earthquake from Excadrill... same deal from Hippowdon; I am not entirely sure. No one runs Air Balloon on Swampert or Hippowdon, but you WILL see Balloon Heatrans. They can switch in your Swords Dance and Fire Blast Excadrill if it is lacking Brick Break. Virizion does not have the best defence, but its typing means it resists both Rock Slide and Earthquake. Same deal with Breloom, but I'm not so sure how well both can deal with Excadrill's attacks directly.

If there are no direct counters to Excadrill, there are a few Pokemon that can revenge it. Conkeldurr can come and Mach Punch a somewhat weakened Excadrill. Choice Band Azumarill does a minimum of 99% (I think) on Excadrill with Aqua Jet which means it is a very good revenger as well. There are also others, such as Choice Scarf Golduck with Cloud Nine, or Choice Scarf Politoed or Choice Scarf Abomasnow. Ninetales does not even need a Choice Scarf to revenge Excadrill and hit back with Super Effective Flamethrowers. Basically, watch out for Pokemon that can alter the weather.

Also, Tyranitars tend to run Bait sets a lot. Make sure that Tyranitars are CHOICED before attempting to set up. A Tyranitar with an Expert Belt can easily feign a Choice Pokemon, using Pursuit on your Chandelure while it switches out (an example). Then Excadrill comes in, you decide to Swords Dance thinking Tyranitar will switch because it is supposedly locked into Pursuit, while Tyranitar, to your horror, will Superpower. Just saying there are many ways to mess with Excadrill.

The problem with Excadrill is no matter how strong it is, all that strength is meaningless if it lacks the ability to go first. You may want to settle with the ability SAND RUSH instead of Sand Force, because SAND RUSH Excadrill is the one EVERYBODY fears.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush

Nature: Adamant / Jolly

- Swords Dance

- Earthquake

- Rock Slide

- X-Scissor / Brick Break / Substitute

For originality, you could also use Hone Claws over Swords Dance to boost Rock Slide's accuracy, but it won't be as powerful as a Swords Dance attack boost. Just throwing this out there. As far as items go, I gave mine an Air Balloon so it'll have a free Ground immunity (Also good for Terrakion and Raichu!). If it'spower you want, go with a Life Orb. It's really up to you.