Pokemon Black and White Review Thread

wraith89

[sprite]282[/sprite]

Well, now that the game has been released into foreign countries such as Europe and McDonald Land, let's make a thread where people can share their reaction to how they felt Pokemon Black and White has been overall, whether it fulfilled their expectations, where some aspects were lacking, etc. I will start and I will try to be brief.

HilbertChallenge.png

I challenge you to a Pokemon battle!

All right, first, I will admit, I have been overly critical at Pokemon Black and White before it came out, and I do realise that. In fact, I will also concede that some of the criticisms I have been stating were quite unfair but it happens during first impressions. It was just mostly due to the repetitiveness of the premise (Pokemon journey, guy with a cap, Team Plasma, etc...) and it was growing tiresome. It was also the icky design of the new Pokemon, and that is something I'm still struggling to get over with. I have warmed up to some, but other than that, it still hits me. But is this game truly the 40/40 that it was given? Let's see...

BW_Hilda_Back.png

"Dude the girl's mad hot O_O"

~ Gin

First off, the main characters' designs are somewhat pretty bland, but I like the simplicity of the male protagonist's design. As for the female... I'm sorry, she is too repulsive. Dawn of DPP still holds the crown as the best designed female protagonist in my opinion. I'm rather appalled at the BW girl's attire and how... unchildish she looks, rather taking the form of an uncouth rebellious teenage girl. I guess many will disagree with me, particularly Gin as you can see, but my sentiment still stands. (Stares at Skyla's attire and begins to facepalm). Professor Juniper is the first female professor in any Pokemon games, and usually, I do not like it when women take the roles where a man usually is. However, Juniper is quite quirky and seems to be an amiable character, so I do not mind her much actually.

VSBianca.png

As for your two best friends, Cheren and Bianca... they are very well designed and clearly their personalities develop a lot throughout the game. I especially was enamored with Bianca. While I do not agree with anything that has the slightest thought of rebellion against parents, young Bianca sets off on a journey to strengthen herself as a person through a Pokemon journey. She is quite the ditzy girl, but nonetheless, she is resourceful and quite helpful and her presence is always nice... except when she does that whole surprise battle thing (only happened once so far though). Bianca's just really cute in her own way and is definitely a well thought out character, and her development is quite good, as she turns from a klutzy girl who even lost her Munna to Team Plasma once into a more confident character, even though she is still a bit flawed. Nonetheless, that certain charm about Bianca certainly gets to me and makes her one of the most lovable characters in this game in my opinion. I'd like to see how she reconciles with her father later, as that whole outburst in the 4th gym city was quite emotional, but she promised her father she would return after her journey. We will have to see how she ends up.

VSCheren.png

Cheren on the other hand, seemed a bit boring to me, but he's quite understandable. He is someone who knows so much about Pokemon that he wants to become the best. Almost like an elitist trainer, in fact. He even calls Bianca hopeless for her conduct when she battled the protagonist in his room. Cheren also heals your Pokemon at many times and allies with you against Team Plasma and at other times too. However, he has this little rivalry going on with the main character, always wondering why he can never beat you in spite of having the same badges as the main character does. He just battles to win and become the strongest, and he truly shows his ambition throughout the game. He is like the real rival of the game and is incredibly ambitious. Is he likable? Well certainly, but sometimes he is quite patronising and certainly likes to make surprise battles every time. He is on the road to become the Pokemon Champion and NO ONE (except Gary Oak) is gonna stop him. Well, except me. I will :D

This is where the game truly shines: character development. It seems every characters play a major role and you want to know how they end up and why they decide to act a certain way and all. This game is not short of a cast, and the story will certainly want you to get to know more these characters. N is especially a good one. I liked the whole beginning coronation scene and the whole Ghetsis and Plasma instilling revolutionary thoughts to people about "Pokemon liberation". Monarchy and revolution topics really excite me, they really do.

300px-Castelia_City.png

As for the scenery? Extremely gorgeous! Even the first town looks amazingly well done, and I was really in awe when I crossed the bridge to the third city. Then I was bewildered by the HUGE city that beheld me and that the third gym was really going to be fought here. They had everything: piers, business buildings, streets, busy people, dark alleys with muggers that don't mug, a park, vending machines, etc. This is certainly a huge step up from the old games, though a bit too much. I'm rather concerned about the World Map resembling the Eye of Horus though, but I will not get to that. Overall, it was quite the amazing panorama and I believe I have not seen everything yet.

Spr_5b_539.png

Now for the gameplay... this is where some things fall apart. Many things were just way too repetitive. Yes, I know 1st routes should not be that great, but only two species? Lillipup and Patrat? No bird even... so it was a trolling. Then, all the trainers spamming Lillipup and Patrats all over and over. Some had Purrloins, but that was like once in a blue moon. And those trolls you call Team Plasma keep sending out the same boring stuff over and over. EPIC GOON FIGHT, er no, another Patrat? GRRR! In fact, if the first two gym leaders were not gym leaders, I would have easily mistaken them as regular trainers because they too, use Lillipup or Herdier or Watchog and even the elemental monkeys, which become more prevalent later in the game by gazillion fold. Seriously, this is what was dragging down the beginning of the game. I wanted to fight a bit of variety... it's not too much to ask with the 649 Pokemon out there. Well, no, I don't want to fight a level 70 Mewtwo from the start, but you get what I mean. Then afterwards... all these Timburrs and Woobats get on my nerves! Speaking of Woobats... Woobats. Really now? One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish Zubat Newbat Woobat Swoobat. Great. And while I have warmed up to some of the new Pokemon designs, some of them are just... incredibly trollish. I go near Pinwheel Forest, and all of a sudden, I am confronted by a Blue KARATE MAN they name SAWK. That was the funniest thing I've seen in my life, and I couldn't help but crack up so loudly. I wonder how the White Version people will feel with THROH. Ha ha THROH. Unfortunately, it took me 8 Great Balls to catch that Lv. 12 monster... and after that, I found a Lv. 15 one. Brilliant! That DESERT RESORT map is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BORING I cannot stand it! But I gruelingly decided to do all the sidequests there were so... no regrets.

NClose.png

"This is badbadbadbadbadbadbad... or Plasbad for short!"

~ Team Plasma Grunt

Also, as for the TMs being infinite, that's great. In fact, it's one of the best things to have ever happened in this generation. However, what I am displeased about is the fact that some of the GREATEST TMs such as Stealth Rocks or Dark Pulse being replaced by completely trollish moves. In fact, while Gamefreak clearly has a fetish for skyrocketing stats for some of the new Pokemon, they certainly were not so generous with the new moves. 30 BP moves everywhere! Hi Struggle Bug! You're my prize for defeating Burgh? No way! Incinerate? Like, what do I do with you? Even Feint went from 50 BP to 30 BP. Gamefreak really loves their 30 BP moves. Struggle Bug did like... 8 damage to my Servine, with STAB. Seriously.

Spr_5b_527.png

That's not to say this game has no innovation. There are some good innovations that personally I was about to do with a ROM hack I was developing, such as Gyms doubling as another building. 2nd gym was a library and a gym, 3rd gym an art gallery, etc... it was quite cool. How about nurses and doctors doubling as battlers and healers? I had those types of ideas too and I was rather amused that it took them this long to think of that. But an innovation is an innovation, and stuff like this may come in the near future.

Overall, I'm only up to the 5th gym city and have not even done that whole part yet. However, this game is certainly looking pretty good for a Pokemon game, aside from a few nitpicks. It is mostly the storyline that is interesting me, and my level 35 Servine named Antoinette is certainly getting fun to play with (and also my Tranquill named Heart). In spite of the flaws it's overall pretty okay. No, it does not deserve that perfect score, and I have not covered everything that I wanted to cover (such as Kyurem's flaws, since that is not my main concern here), but the game has certainly exceeded my expectations. I've just started and already I am hooked. I'm resisting a little only because the beginning was too repetitive, the goons of this game are just completely ridiculous, and that desert resort map completely burned me out. But hey that's what deserts do to you.

Now everyone share your sentiments about the latest Pokemon installment.

Wraith Pokemon Black File 1.zip

Wraith Pokemon Black File 1.zip

Edited by wraith89

General Verdict

7/10

Bad:

The most forgettable bunch of Pokemon I ever saw.

70% I really don't like and seem to be the result of the "I-don't-care-about-this-franchise-as-long-as-I-get-monies" disease that kills game franchises with over a billion customers. I could complain about these Pokemon all day but the ability to transfer previous Pokemon is its only saving grace.

Blatant attention to graphics while sacrificing efficiency.

It certainly will never be faster than Red/Gree/Blue in a sense of flow. It feels like the graphics/animation novelty wears off too fast. Not enough substance. Could be a symptom of the aforementioned disease.(Example: In-battle stat changes/Shiny call-out need a minute-long animation. I don't know why...)

Still lacks advanced settings.

(I nitpick about this all the time, now. I wish I could set the music or sound effects to turn on or off. I just know it will be forever before they add these features because their target market is two-year-olds.)

Still lacks simple customization.

(Another thing I've complained about since the GBA games 'cause it started to get old. I wish my hero character could be any character in the game. I want to be Ace Trainer or Fisherman. I want my Pokemon to be more distinguished than Shiny/Not Shiny.)

Balls/Items bag combo.

I like having a separate bag for Balls.

Good:

Story.

Probably one of the best aspects. It's still some group of guys trying to take over the world, but it has enough twists to satisfy.

GameFreak still caters to babies, but at least this story was... somewhat PG.

(Now if you could take it one step further... create a risk Team Plasma could steal YOUR Pokemon, and if you had no Pokemon in your party to get them back you could enter battle mode against the guy and punch him in the FACE! ehhh who am I kiddin')

Memorable Characters.

At least to a degree. N being the most memorable as "that creepy Pokeraep guy".

Wireless Connection/Events.

Despite being a bit buggy and tends not to work correctly, I like how they're pushing the capabilities of the Nintendo DS in these respects.

Infinite TMs.

Best. Idea. Ever. I totally agree.

They kept the vending machines.

God, I love Fresh Water/Soda Pop/Lemonade. For half the price you can replenish 50 Health with Fresh Water compared to Super Potion (which I hardly use anymore).

PokeTransfer.

Migration of older games' Pokemon is still a hassle, just not that bad now.

Last Words:

I like it. But I can like it more.

I wish Pokemon was more geared toward skill. Such as the strength of a Pokemon being determined by more than just its base stats.

How often it's used and what it battles determines how generous its base stats will increase. And you can train it to combat its counter with stats against it by constantly fighting it.

"Pikachu has been with you for five hours total. You just got it to evolve into Raichu. You used it constantly against Rock/Ground-type Pokemon using move/s that counter its type. Therefore its Defense/Special Defense stats get extra boost each counter Pokemon it beats. So if you beat ten Rock/Ground Pokemon at relatively the same level with Raichu, it gets extra stat boosts upon leveling-up. If Raichu beats an entire party of Pokemon by itself, and they were all around the same level, it gets a boost, too.

tbh, seeing a lvl 50 Psyduck beat the crap out of some guy's entire lvl80-100 party would be the most lulzworthy thing since the Ditto battling Ditto video on YouTube.

Also, bring the level ceiling to 200. I'd try that. Seeing as we're adding over 9000 Pokemon...

Edited by Lt. Surge

I can pretty much agree with what's already been said here already.

Storyline: Absolutely great. Probably one of the most memorable one out of all the Pokemon games.

Characters: I'll have to disagree here when I say I think both of the main characters look pretty cool. Simple, but cool. Yes, Cheren was dull, but I think it played out well, and was meant to be like that. And N has to be the coolest antagonist in the entire franchise. Beats Gary any day, and is more active in the storyline than the other rivals.

As for the gym leaders, I love how they're more involved in the story. It just makes the game feel more anime-like.

Gyms: As I said, the gym leaders were a bit more dynamic, but as stated by others, the choice of Pokemon was just... I also enjoyed how all the gyms looked different, as opposed to the same bland building in all the previous games.

Pokemon: This made me very skeptical of the game before it was even released. Yes, some of them grew on me. Samurott looked repulsive before, but he's turned into my favorite water starter. As for about 70% of the pokemon, I really don't understand how they let this happen. Seriously, wtf is this?

182px-508Stoutland.png

But more importantly, what ARE these?:

615_cryogonal_front_norm.png521_unfezant_front_norm.png533_gurdurr_front_norm.png638_cobalion_front_norm.png

Really? You tried making a new Machoke....with a clown nose?

I thought Emobird looked bad, but he grew on me. Gaibird has yet to do so.

398_staraptor_front_norm.png>521_unfezant_front_norm.png

Excuse me, but even the useless Pokemon of the first gen are more attractive than these. Hell, a DUNSPARCE is more attractive.

I was also disappointed by the fact that the fire starter was once again, a Fire/Fighting type. But I'll get over it. What I won't get over, however, are the terrible stats on some of the Pokemon. I don't play a lot of metagame, but I can see a lot of Trick Room users in the near future.

Don't get me wrong though, this game had some VERY amazing Pokemon: Reshiram/Zekrom, Briavary, Zoroark (even with its frail defenses), Victini, ect.

Scenery: This. This is what compensates for the terrible Pokemon in this game. Absolutely stunning. Even the small things, such as the highway in the desert with cars passing, and let's not forget the wonderful cities, make this game worth while.

Overall, I agree that this game is good. There was a lot of potential here, and there's plenty of room to fix the things that are bothering most of us (besides the Pokemon, of course. The damage has been done)

So now on to more important things: can we get a Patrat emoticon? :bidoof:

I finally beat Pokemon Black... and wow, the story I can say by far is the best story a Pokemon game has ever produced. Though... the magnificent story came at the cost of inspiring Pokemon designs and gameplay altogether, but nonetheless, it was quite a good ending. I will not spoil it for anyone, but I hated that last battle... 3 battles in a row, really? Not to mention all the critical hits that FORCED me to use 3 Max Revives, but oh well. It is finished! I have uploaded my save file in the original post, but because PP won't accept DSV files I had to upload it as ZIP. Impish Reshiram? I got trolled, badly. :(

]partyoi.png

The party I was left with in the final battle. To give you a point of view of how it is like, THIS is UNDERLEVELED. I would suggest your Pokemon to be somewhere near the 50s if you want an easier time.

As for the Unfezant, the male one is really weird. That is why I have the female one because the sexual dimorphism is very apparent. Unfezant, I have to say, got trolled the most of the birds. It has good stats, but the stat it lacks in, SPECIAL ATTACK, is what its movepool consists of. And its strongest Flying physical STAB options are Aerial Ace, Pluck, Fly and Sky Attack... and none are all too appealing.

Cheren's development turned out very well. He wasn't as boring as he was in the beginning when you come near the end. His obsession of beating you played out very well making him the true rival of BW. Bianca's just icing in the cake; she is almost perfect except she had to be given the script of the youth propaganda by having an overprotective father look foolish encouraging children to stand against their parents. I hate that... especially since he had to listen to Paris Hilto-erm I mean Elesa of all people. Could that have gone any worse? Regardless, Bianca was a well thought out character too. The best character in this game though, has to go to N. Overrated? Kind of, but once you play through, you will either like N or hate him, and most people seems to like N. What they failed to do with N though is a little nitpick; he sends our his Pokemon in Pokeballs! If they gave him an animation of just sending out the Pokemon he befriended... I wouldn't have to pick on him as much.

Game recommended? For the story, definitely. If you can withstand the gameplay and the bunch of mostly forgettable Pokemon that is...

Review in my POV: 8/10. It's so 3D..and the cities actually look real.

The Pokemon: Too un-Pokemonish. 6/10.

The main charaters you play as: Quite too much like D/P. But a tad bit better. 7/10.

The rivals: cute (and the boy is sexy as always.) 9.5/10.

The evil team: knights=awesome. 8/10. But N is weird.

Best Pokemon: Dewott. Litwick, Tranquill and Herdier.

Everything Else:7.5/10.

I have uploaded my save file in the original post, but because PP won't accept DSV files I had to upload it as ZIP. Impish Reshiram? I got trolled, badly. :(

Ohh thank you! :] I actually needed a finish game to play around with a bit =]

As for Unfezant looking weird, I'd have to say that's an understatement xD

I would love this game to death if the pokemon didn't look nasty in general. I think they should just completely redesign the ugly pokemon's sprites from scratch, and we can pretend the current sprites for Unfezant, Gurdurr, Crustle, Siglyph, and the others, never existed :]

Bidoof is more attractive '-.-

But yeah, this game is definitely worth it for the storyline :P

If you ever need some HM mules, there's a CUT and SURF Panpour named Monsoon, FLY and FLASH Woobat named NOT Zubat, and a STRENGTH Drilbur named Drill in the PC.

Unfezant looks like it ripped off a Kricketune's head and wore it as a trophy.

Seeing a lot of 7-8/10 ratings. I'm going as far as giving it a 6/10 or something... because the pre-National Dex part of the game felt REALLY rushed and post game, the level curve goes up. Like, literally... you were just fighting Lv. 50-55 Pokemon and then all of a sudden your Lv. 40-50 Pokemon are set to fight against Lv. 60 + Pokemon. That's a warning for many of you. However, many of them are unevolved Pokemon so with the right strategies and type advantage and all, you can overcome them and gain a LOT of experience, leveling up per 2-3 wins.

Where to start?...

Dislikes:

-A great deal of the pokemon. I have to admit that, when I started this game and started encountering stuff like THROH and whatnot, I started losing interest. What killed me most was the painfully idiotic pun-based names. I'm well aware that almost every Pokemon name (if not all of them) are based around puns, but this was just painful. Timburr? Gurrdurr? Seriously? I mean I just.... Ugh. I'll give you that some of the Pokemon designs were somewhat appealing, such as Chandelure, Gigalith, Scolipede, etc, but the vast majority of them were poorly designed and just.... Very unpokemon-like. This didn't feel like a Pokemon game until after I beat both sections of the game and began designing a competitive team... It should not take until AFTER the main story for this to feel like a Pokemon Game.

-Repetitive Enemy Pokemon. I miss the good old days when the enemy teams were slightly more diverse. I understand that there needs to be a certain level or repetition somewhere, but for the love of god do it elsewhere. About the time I made it to my 7th badge, I was fed up with seeing Purrloins, Patrats, Liepards, Watchogs, the monkies, etc. You have over 150 new Pokemon and yet the bad guys still have the same crap? Honestly. Worse yet was how many people had the monkies. It was fairly cool to see and obtain one of the Pan-Monkies in the beginning, especially since it aided you somewhat in your Pokemon battle. However, as soon as I found that everyone and their mother (Almost quite literally) had one or all three of them, I just about stopped playing.

-Item Bag Organization. I had a major love/hate relationship with the new bag system. On the one hand, I could easily sort and alphabetize my items with the click of a button. This is especially useful to me because it makes finding an item a hell of a lot easier (Not that it was hard before, but still). MY biggest problem was the elimination of the Pokeball, Battle Item and Mail sections of the bag. Mail was never really a major concern for me, and neither were Battle Items. POKEBALLS on the other hand I liked to have separate from my other items. While I'm on the topic, where the eff are my Apricorn balls? :/

-Too much emphasis on the graphics. Don't get me wrong. I like the depth of the game as far as the scenery and crap goes, but that bridge scene outside of Castelia felt like Gamefreak going, "OH OH LOOK AT US WE'RE DOING SOMETHING MILDLY IMPRESSIVE HAHAHAHA". Not only that but the entire region felt.... Small. Compared to the other regions, this region felt horrendously small and almost forced. Very, very disappointing indeed.

-Crappy TMs and eliminated moves. Seriously. You swapped out awesome stuff like Dark Pulse for crap like Struggle Bug? Are you freaking kidding me? I'd sooner teach a Pokemon Splash before I teach it Struggle Bug. Honestly. Absolute crap. And the moves that were taken off some Pokemon? What the hell guys? Why can't I keep Signal Beam on my Manectric? Why did my Manectric have to lose Magnet Rise as well? Worse yet, if they can retain those moves after transfer, why do they have to be illegal in the online play? Crap. Absolute crap times a thousand.

-Character Designs and Cast. Aside from the female protagonist who looks like a tramp (The Main Character, not Bianca), I have to say that the characters were fairly well designed and very memorable. Not only that but I absolutely adored the fact that the Gym Leaders were more than just simple figureheads in each town. They actually played consistent roles in the story and made multiple appearances. A lot of their personalities were bland and boring, but a few of them were absolute gems (Case and Point, the Driftveil Gym Leader). The characters themselves, such as Cheren and Bianca, were well thought out. They provided a somewhat fresh look on the lives and attitudes of Pokemon Trainers and their reasons for doing what they do. N was also a very interesting character, though I thought of him as an absolute nut-case the first time I ran in to him. Overall, I loved the characters to death.

-Story. By far a major improvement upon previous Pokemon Plots. It's a story that PETA would be proud of. :D Seriously though. I loved the story. Definitely a thumbs up. Most memorable to date.

-Gyms. I LOVE the way that each building is unique on the outside as well as on the inside.

-TMs being Infinite. IT'S ABOUT TIME.

-Random Online Battles. See TMs being Infinite.

Final Score and Closing Comments: Overall I give it a solid 7.5/10. I liked many aspects of the games and enjoyed the game quite thoroughly. Going through underleveled was awesome and provided a great challenge, the story was fresh and exciting and kept my interest, the battles were tough to a certain degree and caused me to have to buy waaaaaaaaay too many revives and such and the game itself was a joy to play. That being said, I still have a few issues with some of the areas. No game is perfect, but I felt as though the Unova region was rushed, forced, and overall kinda boring. I'm hoping that maybe the seasonal changes will provide a bit of fun, though I'm not holding my breath.

“There’s about 17 people in our design team, and generally what happens is they each draw their own Pokemon and then they get discussed over group meetings. We didn’t have a very long development cycle with this game, so I had a lot of one-on-one time with each designer.”

Well this explains the uninspiring Pokemon designs...

“There’s no particular number that each designer needs to create, but they come up with far, far more designs than actually get included in the game.”

Makes me wonder what the scrapped Pokemon were...

They are for the beginning of the game. You won't encounter the other in Pinwheel Forest or anywhere until you get the National Dex.

We need to wait until we get the National Dex to be able to get Throh/Sawk from shaking patches at Pinwheel Forest?

I kind of like Sawk ever since I noticed it has 125 base attack.

Hm... I don't really know about how I'd rate them, but I really like Black and White. So, I guess I'll just put down a few things and have my say about them--although, a lot of it has been said already.

-Storyline: I absolutely loved the story. Like, no joke. Usually, I just play through the games and not really pay attention to what's going on because it was extremely predictable. Bad guy does this, you stop him, find a hint about the next area, repeat. Not to say that Black and White wasn't predictable. It was just more... interesting this time around that I never noticed. I actually wanted to see what would happen and took my time doing so.

-Character Development: This is another thing in the Pokemon games that I usually find lacking. Characters, save for a few, remained static throughout the entire game regardless of their roles (exceptions being, say, Silver/Rival from the Gold and Silver series, Wally to an extent in the Ruby and Sapphire series... there's probably more that I forgot). But the fact that your rivals went through and matured as the journey progressed made me smile. N... well, you'll see.

-Graphics: I don't know about you, but I liked just about all of the graphic and animation work done in this game. Even the battle animations. Sure, it does seem a bit... excessive at times, but it made the battles feel a hell of a lot faster to me--plus, I like seeing my Pokemon actually move. I played my Diamond game recently to check over any PC Pokemon and battled for the heck of it... and I felt like it went on forever. I turned off the battle animations and it still took a long time just watching the HP go down on a wild Pokemon battle. Or maybe that's just me. Also, Castelia City and the bridge. THE BRIDGE, DEAR LORD. First time walking down it, my expression was O_O the whole time.

-Main Character Design: I liked them both. Yes, both. Even the female. Why? Okay, yeah, she wears short shorts and a tank top that many people find revealing, but I find that it makes her look really... natural. Casual? Either way, I like her more than most of the other female protagonists. I especially like the flaps on her shorts. They remind me of Reshiram's wings, oddly enough, so I thought it fit.

-Music: Black and White have a really good soundtrack in my opinion. Say what you want, but there are some areas that I just enjoy visiting from time to time just to listen to the music (Dragonspiral/Celestial Tower, for instance).

-Gyms: And their leaders. I liked the designs of a lot of them. I guess I can blame the computer but the battles with a few of them were just... AUGH-worthy. Or maybe I have bad luck. But anyways, I also found them pretty cool because they actually had another role other than to sit in their Gym, fight, and look pretty. Mainly talking about them coming to the rescue when you're about to be attacked by the Sages. Branching off, Shauntal and Grimsley of the Elite Four really got to me. Shauntal's outfit made me WTF all through her battle and Grimsley reminded me of Ryoji Mochizuki from Persona 3 design-wise.

-N: THIS GUY. Love 'im, yet I hate 'im. He's complete creeper status when you first meet, turned total hypocrite due to the fact that nobody thought to animate him sending his friends out to battle out of a ball, and yet he grew on me. I think it was his backstory. Poor guy, disillusioned by an ass of a father.

-Pokemon: Some of them creep me out to this day (and probably forevermore), such as Conkeldurr and his pre-evolutions (those veins sticking out... no amount of gameplay will ever stop my eye from twitching upon first sight in a battle) and Alomomolamolalamola. All the other ones have grown on me. Even the genies (I just think they're ugly).

I actually had a lot more to say, but I figured this was enough considering...

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't played either game yet but I'll still comment on appearance and plot involving Pokemon, characters and other basics:

Storyline: Looks so good I'll even make a fan fiction of it. The best game yet according to the footage I've seen on YouTube.

Characters: Hilbert, Hilda, Cheren and Bianca look like the best protagonists yet and they are said to be teens unlike 10-year-olds we've seen in other games. I like Cheren's glasses, Bianca's hat, Hilbert's jacket and Hilda's hair and overall design. Professor Juniper shows that not all Professors can be boys I like how they've finally got a girly Professor. The Gym Leaders and Elite Four look cool not to forget he who is known as "N"

Pokemon: Some of them look so like me (especially Gothitelle, Oshawott and the elemental monkeys) they might be the best designs yet! I'm not really a fan of Garbodor's appearance though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed my game not too long ago. Storyline was great. I was so happy once i had reached undella town there was a good beach like town. character wise they were great!! the new pokemon and the old pokemon that popped up again. It's a great mix of new ones,quite a change from the norm. and they decided to throw in old hoenn pokemon like lunatone and solrock and several others. tm and hm wise i'm so happy that dive had been added to the hm mix again...one problem was that the hms were so darn hard to find, i had to look up where to find 'em. the surrondings like the tree and such and the cites and towns..well i wish they had done a little more with that...but i won't expand on that....i'd give the game a 9 out 10.

Heh. Congrats on beating the game! I, too, really enjoyed the storyline, but my only problem with this game is that it just didn't feel like Pokemon. I suppose it is trying to go another direction, and yet it is quite unfamiliar.

Yeah, HMs were like, "Where?", specifically HM04 Strength, which is in some obscure house to the northwest of Nimbasa's Pokemon Center. Urrr... yeah I checked every place in Castelia and other towns, but obscure HM is a big no no.

Unova in general was a bit too congested. Though Johto definitely gives that "claustrophobic" feeling, it didn't matter much because there was a second region to explore as well. I just think this game was rushed overall, and I'm hoping the 3rd version (if there is one), will add a lot to it like how Platinum essentially "completed" Diamond and Pearl. But seeing as they're pretty adamant about UNOVA ONLY for the first part of the game, I don't see how this will be done.

• 2 months later...

I have beaten the game and what I really liked is this:

- The Scenery I don't know why but it just grew on me

- The Starters They're cute but never Tepig's Evo --- Sounds like Farts

- The Story I actually wanted to repeat the game beacause of it's story

- TM's I love the fact that they're infinite ( NO NEED TO HAVE SECOND THOUGHTS yay!)

- The Mystery of N He is the "BEST" antagonist ever

- The Background Music It was epic especially for the bicycle

So if I were to rate this, it would be 9.1/10 It is because I hate some Pokemon. Because of that I missed the previous Pokemon

Edited by ScientificPikachu