Pokésav with AppLocale won't let me load .sav files... D:

Tigerseye

Hi,

I've recently been really interested in creating Japanese Pokémon - and for this, obviously, I need to get the Japanese characters to show up. I followed instructions on a thread to install the Japanese language packs and then to install AppLocale and run Pokésav through it, but when I do that Pokésav won't let me load my .sav files; it gives me a Wrong File Type error. When I run it normally (not with AppLocale) it runs fine.

I'm running Windows XP, if it makes any difference, with the Platinum version of Pokésav, version 0.06d, for a Platinum ROM. And I'm not using no$gba, whatever that it :P

I know this problem has been posted before but I didn't want to post in a dead thread. Any help would be very much appreciated - I've tried everything I can think of! :3

Thanks in advance,

TE

Edited by Tigerseye
Version info

stop say use pokegen... some people likes use pokesav

Tigerseye: try to put the save game simply names like: aaa

Thanks for the reply - I've already tried renaming the file to a simple file name and it still won't load...

The reason I don't really want to have to switch to Pokégen is that I do like Pokésav - and I know other people have had this problem before, and I'd like to know how to fix it for their benefit as well as mine. I'd rather fix the problem than avoid it; there must be something we can do to get it working.

Happy new year to you all, and here's to sorting this out!

TE

stop say use pokegen... some people likes use pokesav

Tigerseye: try to put the save game simply names like: aaa

what the hell? pingouin is right. pokegen has all the characters in a character map that is stupidly easy to use. you pick what japanese character you want and double click. pokesav has no such thing. you would have to look up the unicode characters for japanese-english.

regardless of what you like, pokegen is the better app.

• 3 weeks later...
what the hell? pingouin is right. pokegen has all the characters in a character map that is stupidly easy to use. you pick what japanese character you want and double click. pokesav has no such thing. you would have to look up the unicode characters for japanese-english.

regardless of what you like, pokegen is the better app.

Sigh...

Okay, well I gather that PokéGen has more features, is easier to use etc. etc. but I just thought that someone might be able to offer a solution that might also be able to help others with the same problem. I also like to know why things like this won't work so that when writing my own programs I can be sure to avoid creating a program with the same problem.

I gather that no one knows the real answer to this problem, but thank you everyone for your time all the same.

Are you using the english version of Pokesav or the Japanese version of pokesav?

I've never heard of people trying to run the English version of pokesav with applocale, so I'm not sure if that can work... that might be what is causing your errors.

The best answer here, like mentioned, is Pokegen.

It will solve your problems immediately. You dont have to set anything extra up, it natively supports English and Japanese. And you don't even have to set up a Japanese keyboard in your OS to enter in the Japanese characters if you don't want to. You can just use the onscreen character map like Bond mentioned.

Trust us, just use Pokegen.

Well I'm not sure what the problem is here?

I mean I understand but I don't see what could be causing the problem. I personally like Pokesav better regardless of what anyone says. I was using Pokesav way before I heard of Pokegen and still just prefer to use it. I have the exact same version of Pokesav as well. English Platinum 0.06d. Whenever I make a Japanese pokemon I run AppLocale in Japanese and open Pokesav and it works just fine for me.

I've never had trouble opening a .sav file and it's pretty simple to type in japanese without having to click on a character chart.

Could you upload you .sav file so I could take a look at it and test it out?

I was using Pokesav way before I heard of Pokegen

That's because Pokegen is a new program made to replace Pokesav which has crap for support and development.

Whenever I make a Japanese pokemon I run AppLocale in Japanese and open Pokesav and it works just fine for me.

I've never had trouble opening a .sav file and it's pretty simple to type in japanese without having to click on a character chart.

You can also simply type in Pokegen without using the character chart. The difference is you don't have to bother with Applocale.

That's because Pokegen is a new program made to replace Pokesav which has crap for support and development.

You can also simply type in Pokegen without using the character chart. The difference is you don't have to bother with Applocale.

Yes but my point is that I'm much more familiar with Pokesav and just don't really feel like using Pokegen. I have it and have tried it but I would just rather use Pokesav and have never had any problems with it whatsoever besides being unable to mess with Mystery Gifts in HG/SS which I can easily use PMGE for. Also the times I have used it it seems like it's only meant for creating Pokemon. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't used it very much but I'd like to mess with other things in my .sav file besides just the pokemon.

Some people regardless of how stupid it seems still just like to use Pokesav and I don't need to bother with AppLocale either. Once it's been setup the first time it asks if you wanna setup a shortcut to open it using AppLocale automatically. So I can open it as if I was simply opening the program itself without any trouble at all.

What if you simply used PokeGen for Pokémon editing, then used Pokesav for anything PokéGen/PMGE can't do?

This is true. I could do this but I'm too stubborn too. xDD I'm usually the last person to move to something new. It won't be until I'm completely unable to do something in Pokesav that MAKES me use Pokegen then I'll end up using Pokegen all the time.

Like how I'm unable to edit events in the HG/SS Pokesav completely so I'm forced to use PMGE but use it consistently now. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying for ages... x)

At the moment I am using Pokégen, and it's not really a massive problem. It's just that I'm stubborn and curious and I like to know why things won't work for the sake of solving problems - so I thought I'd ask for help because I got stuck on this one :3

Of course, the only other solution is to grab a chart of the Japanese characters and their respective hex codes (which I have put together myself, ask if you want it :) ) and put the actual hex into the trash bytes section of Pokésav.

If you'd like a look at my .sav file, I've attached it (I think :P)

Tsujin, it's nice to know that someone is as stubborn as me ;)

Let me know if anyone needs anything else.

TE :)

plat.SAV

plat.SAV

• 2 weeks later...
Are the save files contained within a folder that has Pokémon spelled with the é? Pokesav under AppLocale won't load a save file if any of its parent folders contains a character with an accent.

:o Thank you so much, OmegaDonut; that was precisely the problem! That's very interesting to find out. I guess I'll have to bear the aesthetic error of not spelling Pokémon correctly in order to get Japanese Pokésav working properly xD

Many thanks again. And thank you very much Tsujin, for taking a look at my save file for me.

Problem solved! :D