Escape Sequence

cH053n

So apparently some Pokemon when received under certain conditions do not have an Escape Sequence for their the Original Trainer Name.

<Kaphotics> some pokemon dont have escape sequences
<cH053n> o
<Kaphotics> if you dont catch them, they dont have esc sequences in their oT/name
* balrog has quit (Ping timeout)
<cH053n> ooooo?
<cH053n> didnt know that
<Kaphotics> yep all ingame trades dont have em
<Kaphotics> starters dont
<sohnano> so don't worry about it?
<Kaphotics> pretty sure gifts dont either
<Kaphotics> right
<Kaphotics> only rare cases which aren't even "cool" to hack
<cH053n> ya i noticed that, thought that was pokegen bug and ignored it
<Kaphotics> well the roamers don't have escape sequences iirc

I had noticed this before when editing some Pokemon I got legitimately through the game but just thought it was some bug with Pokegen so I just put in the Escape Sequence myself anyways.

I realize the Escape Sequence does not really matter to make it legal or not but either way I want it to appear as legit as possible.

So I want to figure out what Type of Pokemon should have an Escape Sequence or not. When I have time I'm going to try to load up each type of Pokemon and check their Escape Sequence.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or might have some info to add to my efforts, thank you.

Type of Pokemon without OT Escape Sequence

tableqh.png

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?15317-Beta-the-pok%E9check-legality-checker-for-generation-5&p=126085&viewfull=1#post126085

- Fateful encounter is basically the same case as Event (except for Shaymin in Pt) and terminator for those is all \FFFF

- NPC Pokémon Gift like those first badge monkeys is the same as starters and NPC trade, with simple escape sequence.

ALL name fields have AT LEAST one terminator \FFFF to mark the end of the name; I call this simple terminator. Some others, most importantly wild pokémon, have double terminator, i.e. \FFFF at the end of the name AND at the end of the field. Even if you remove what you call the "terminator sequence", you will still have the mandatory first terminator. It doesn't appear in PokeGen but that's because PokeGen is smart and will always include it (otherwise it can corrupt your save file). Pokécheck should handle most cases correctly but I think it is missing roaming and maybe some NPC cases.

Rule of Thumb:

- The trend seems to be if the Pokémon can be captured more than likely the OT will have an Escape Sequence. One exception being Roaming Legendaries, they do not have an Escape Sequence for the OT.

- When the Pokémon is acquired by other means like as a Starter or Egg the OT will not have an Escape Sequence.

Creating the Escape Sequence:

- Refer to this "Guide: How to generate Gen V Pokémon in PokéGen" for detailed info about the Escape Sequence and how to mathematically create it.

Lazy Man's Way

1. Type in order 123456789 till the Nickname field won't let you type anymore

2. Delete the last two numbers

3. The last digit remaining is the amount of \0000 blocks that go in between the start and end, \FFFF, of the sequence.

Example

Blitzle

Blitzle1234

Blitzle12 <-- Number of \0000 blocks

Blitzle\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF

Creating the Escape Sequence of Nicknamed Pokemon with Trash Bytes:

- I noticed this today when looking at various Pokemon that had Nicknames. This info is not found in the in the Guide: How to generate Gen V Pokémon in PokéGen

- It appears Pokemon have an additional Escape Sequence with Trash Bytes in front of the normal Escape Sequence. This is only when the Nickname is shorter than the Pokémon’s actual name.

Examples

Purrlion Hatched Egg with the name PURR has this sequence \FFFFoin\FFFF\0000\FFFF

Petilil NPC Link Trade with the name Lillil had this sequence \FFFF\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF

Blitzle Wild with the name T has this sequence \FFFFitzle\FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF

Steps

1. Number of letters in Pokemon Name= X

2. Number of letters in Nickname = Y

3. X - Y = Z

4. Take the Pokemon's name and delete the front letters by the amount of Z.

5. Replace the first letter with \FFFF

6. Type the Nickname in front of the Sequence

7. After the remaining letters type the block \FFFF

8. Fill in the rest of the Nickname field with blocks of \0000 until it won't let you anymore

9. Delete the last block of 0000 and replace it with FFFF to end the Sequence

Example

Purrloin = 8

PURR = 4

X - Y = 4

loin

\FFFFoin

PURR\FFFFoin

PURR\FFFFoin\FFFF

PURR\FFFFoin\FFFF\0000\0000

PURR\FFFFoin\FFFF\0000\FFFF

Evolved Pokemon:

This happens when you evolve a foreign Pokémon

- The same rule for nicknamed Pokemon also applies to evolved Pokemon.

- This occurs when a Pokemon Evolves and has a shorter name than its pre-evolution form.

Example

Roggenrola --> Boldore --> Gigalith

Roggenrola\FFFF (has no escape sequence as the name is 10 characters long, the max allowed)

Boldore\FFFFla\FFFF (After it evolves this is his name with the new Escape Sequence at the end.)

Gigalith\FFFFa\FFFF (Once traded it evolved and still has part of the sequence from before.)

Notes

- Trash types from foreign languages are left over if traded to another language cartridge.

If encountered in that form originally (eg. Boldore found in the wild), it would be missing those trash bytes.

Nickname Rater Gen V:

- When a full length nickname is entered everything else is overwritten.

example

1234567890\FFFF

- Then if a shorter nickname or the Pokemon's name is entered, part of the previous name remains as trash bytes.

example

Boldore\FFFF90\FFFF

- This means the trash bytes after the Pokemon's name could be anything!

Edited by cH053n

• 3 weeks later...

Gen IV Terminator and Trash Bytes

Wild Gen IV

- In Pokegen a Pokemon caught in the wild appears with their name and no escape sequence or trash bytes after it.

- Once this pokemon is transfered to Gen V it will appear with the traditional escape sequence \FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF depending on the length of the Pokemon's name.

Hatched Gen IV

- When a Pokemon hatches it will have a string of trashbytes unique to that pokemon.

- Upon evolution or nicknamed the trash bytes are over written with its new name.

- If the name is shorter than the previous name than trash bytes are left over from its previous name.

- These trash bytes can be fixed by nicknaming the Pokemon and then Nicknaming it back to its original name.

- After changing it back to its original name the Nickname flag no longer appears checked in Pokegen.

- For Pokgen in Gen IV to simulate this just simply type in its name as it should appear with nothing else after it and without the nickname flag checked, just like a Wild Pokemon.

- Then once it is transfer to Gen V it will receive the traditional escape sequence \FFFF\0000\0000\FFFF

Pal Park Gen IV

- All Gen III Pokemon have unique trash bytes after being Pal Park'ed

- Simply create the Pokemon as a Gen IV .pkm and then run through trashbytes.exe

- Then run the pokemon through Kazo's PokeTransfer.exe

- This way it keeps its original trash bytes but the last section is replaced with \FFFF to end the sequence.

Event Gen IV

- Pokemon recieved from a Mystery Gift have its own set of trash bytes but are very simple.

- Type in the Pokemon's name and then fill in the remainder of the space with \FFFF\FFFF\FFFF

- example: SHAYMIN\FFFF\FFFF\FFFF\FFFF

• 3 weeks later...

I don't quite understand your steps for the nickname trashbit. Unless, I'm doing something completely wrong, your steps don't work for the 2nd and 3rd example that you have listed

Steps

1. Number of letters in Pokemon Name= X (Petilil is 7 letters => X = 7)

2. Number of letters in Nickname = Y (Lillil is 6 letters => Y = 6)

3. X - Y = Z (7 - 6 = 1, Z = 1)

4. Take the Pokemon's name and delete the front letters by the amount of Z. (Delete the 1st letter of the pokemon name P => etilil)

5. Replace the first letter with \FFFF (/FFFFtilil)

6. Type the Nickname in front of the Sequence (Lillil\FFFFtilil)

7. After the remaining letters type the block \FFFF (Lillil\FFFtilil\FFFF)

I'll stop there, and the sequence is obviously not the one assigned in the game. From what I've tested, you are suppose to delete the first Y (# of letters for your nickname) instead of Z from the pokemon's name. It worked for your purrloin because Z and Y in that instance were the same (4)

• 1 year later...
Nickname Length +1 is overwritten, the rest stays as trash.

how about a Pokemon nicknamed in Generation IV ??

i don't really get it about a Pokemon from the Forth Gen, if theyre nicknamed and then transferred to Gen V