I'd like to showcase my first ever ROM hack - A slight difficulty and quality of life hack for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky.
My main goal with this hack is to introduce quality of life changes, new dungeon variety, new Pokémon spawn lists all while making the original game harder! (But not Kaizo hard) I am also trying to steer away from unnecessary dialogue additions and anything that could take away from a player's experience or ruin immersion. While not directly influenced by Drayano or his hacks, this ROM hack shares similarities in the way Drayano approaches hacks, keeping the original game vanilla and building onto it's gameplay systems all while slightly increasing difficulty.
Exact specifications of what has and will be changed will be included with every version I release with previous changes always archived in each and every changelog as there already is way to much for me to include as is without keeping this post short and simple. The hack is fully completed in terms of revamping every dungeon and improving the base game, but additional features are to be added in the future.
Special features include:
- Arceus is now in the game! Recruit the Alpha Pokemon at the top of Destiny Tower!
- Exp. Points are now distributed to the entire team -- including off-roster team members! (Like in Gates to Infinity and Super!)
- You can now select whatever starter you want if you don't like your Personality Quiz result! (Like in Super!)
- Complete Team Control, You can manually control your partner and team members turns in dungeon!
- New postgame events! -- Revisit the Future after recruiting Dialga, Explore a new Ruin dungeon after defeating Regigigas, visit new unique Far Away dungeons after recruiting Palkia or explore the Magnagate after collecting all Seven Treasures!
- New moves! Unused moves like Spin Slash and Excavate are back in the game!
- Fairy Type moves with custom move animations:
- Sweet Kiss, Charm, Moonlight, Dazzling Gleam, Disarming Voice, Fairy Wind, Play Rough, Draining Kiss, Moonblast, Crafty Shield, Baby-Doll Eyes and more!
- Moves from future generations too:
- Petal Blizzard, Bulldoze, High Horsepower and more!
- Fairy Type, with Fairy Type gummis in game too!
- Custom Frames!
- Revisitable Future -- with recruitable shiny Celebi!
- The weather trio now have their exclusive moves, Precipice Blades, Dragon Ascent and Origin Pulse!
- The Luxio Tribe is back from Time/Darkness, fully replacing the Manectric gang. (Complete with a Luxray Clear Mark icon.)
- New dungeons! Explore the all new Metal Crag, Magic Alcove, Avian Terrene, Drake Fjord, Poison Bog and Battle Hill!
- All starter evolutions now have overworld sleeping sprites for the postgame (Including gender differences!).
- All new spawnlists, revamped difficulty, and a whole new way to play the game!
- Some dungeons now have certain gimmicks, EX: Drenched Bluff has a dangerous 6th floor, Waterfall Cave is always rainy and max darkness, there's no food in the Northern Desert, etc.
- Alolan Vulpix has replaced normal Vulpix as a starter/partner
- A quick tunnel from Sharpedo Bluff to Crossroads
- Espurr is now a partner Pokemon!
- Chikorita isn't useless now!
- Completely reworked Marowak Dojo system!
- All Starters and Partners have reworked level up movepools, and will always have access to a powerful STAB move at level 50. Some starters/partners have had ability reworks like Eevee having Anticipation instead of Run Away, Skitty having Scrappy instead of Normalize, and Riolu having Own Tempo instead of Inner Focus!
- Quality of Life improvements. Tired of all those tips trying to help you out? Say no more, they're all disabled thanks to DisableTips. Want to hold the L button and use one of your four moves without opening the move menu? Move Shortcuts has got you covered! Ever wanted to have a partner that matches your type? SameType Partner allows you to do just that! Tired of watching and suffering through Spinda's Café animation every time you want to make a drink? I removed it! Tired of Far-Off Pals taking too long to play out? It's quicker now! Kangaskhan Rocks in the Marowak Dojo Hub and Spinda Cafe!
- Revamped Item values
- Vitamins, Joy Seeds and Ginsengs now rarely appear in the Kecleon Shop
- Revamped Rank-Up rewards!
- All Evolution Items now have an equal chance to spawn in the Kecleon Wares Shop
- Xatu now unboxes faster!
-Optional dungeons are automatically unlocked after graduating!
- Seven Treasure dungeons are unlocked after Dark Crater!
- Aegis Cave is no longer full of unnecessary unowns!
- Mt. Blaze and Mt. Thunder are back in the game! Along with Zapdos and Moltres boss fights!
- Region Variants! (Note that these new varients DO NOT replace the original games Pokémon, normal Vulpix/Ninetales are still in the game, just no longer a starter/partner.)
- Zero Isles now have rare evolution items at the end of the dungeon to reward players for exploring them!
- Destiny Tower now allows recruiting, has had it's grudge traps removed, and has had wonder tiles added into upper floors.
- All dungeons have been revamped!
*** Thank you to End45 for creating the Move Shortcuts, DisableTips, and SameType Partner patches.
*** Thank you to Irdkwia for creating the ChangeMoveStatDisplay, ChangeEvoSystem, ExpandPokeList, Exp. Share, Fairy Type, and Choose Starter patches. Thank you for also working on Move Shortcuts.
*** Thank you to Cipnit for creating the Complete Team Control patch.
*** Thank you to NeroIntruder for creating Espurr, Meowstic (Male and Female), and Alolan Ninetails portraits/sprites.
*** Thank you to DunkinDo for creating Arceus sprites, Galar Corsola sprites, Cursola sprites and my commissioned Regidrago/Regieleki sprites.
*** Thank you to CamusZekeSirius for creating Regidrago and Regieleki sprites.
*** Thank you to Davilos for creating Arceus portraits.
*** Thank you to Emmuffin for creating Sylveon and galarian Corsola portraits.
*** Thank you to EZERART for creating Cursola's portrait.
*** Thank you to MonochromeKirby for creating Victini's sprites and portraits.
*** Thank you to whoever created Sylveon's sprites, I'm unable to find whoever originally submitted it.
*** Thank you tofor creating art and a menu background featuring Silveon, Espurr and Alolan Ninetales!
Massive thank you to my Discord community for feeding me ideas, suggestions, advice and inspiration to keep working this hard!
Thank you to the reader for reading all of this and mayhaps even playing my take on the game!
Here's a hyperlink to my Discord where you can report any issues, suggestions, or problems with the game and talk directly to me. We also have a channel with instructions on how to patch and what you will need (We do NOT distribute ROMS):
v v v v v v v
>>>>>> My Discord <<<<<<
PLEASE DO NOT USE SAVE STATES, IF YOU USE SAVE STATES THOSE SAVES WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE WITH ANY FUTURE RELEASES/PATCHES. SAVE WITH THE IN-GAME SYSTEM IF YOUR EMULATOR SUPPORTS IT.
Explorers of Skies Patch (V1.16).xdelta
Changelogs contain ALL changes made, and documents the newest changes as well.
Version 1.16 Changelog
BETA FOR 1.17 - LAST RELEASE 10/9/2021
Explorers of Skies Patch (V1.17BETA7).xdeltaChangelogV1.17BETA7.txt
There are multiple versions of Explorers of Sky, this Hack uses a specific one, you can read more below.
Instructions on how to patch
Patching Skies for Dummies.txt
(You can also get help through my Discord with the link above)
Dungeons that reset the player to Level 1 don't restore when being defeated -- This can be fixed by using Chimecho's Assembly.